trout and cold front question

Author
wayneo73
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points: 0
2013/05/22 21:56:05 (permalink)

trout and cold front question

i fished the tionesta for trout this week.  with this recent warm spell, the water temperature reached 74 degrees.  a bit warm for trout.  trout were freshly stocked monday so there's a ton of fish up there but the fishing was decent tuesday am at best.  i'm guessing because once the water warmed up, the trout shut down.

i have a chance to go up this weekend (fri/sat) but we're expecting a cold front.  gas and free time are too much of a premium to waste a trip.  so my question is this... will the cold front shut the bite off (more than it already was) or will the cooling of the water help more than the cold front hurts?

5 Replies Related Threads

wetboot
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:trout and cold front question 2013/05/22 23:32:32 (permalink)
    i was thinkin the same thing about hitting the tionesta fri/sat. but for how hot its been i would think this front would help a lil...jus my opinion tho
    eye crosser
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re:trout and cold front question 2013/05/23 07:29:49 (permalink)
    You can't catch anything sitting at home.   The cold front won't drop the water temp unless it's a prolong cool period.   One or two days it won't effect the water temp.  If anything it will be better for the fisherman fishing in 60 degree temps than in 80+ temps.  You may not catch anything but it will feel more enjoyable than fishing in the oppressive heat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re:trout and cold front question 2013/05/23 11:49:20 (permalink)
    I would think some rain and cooler temps would improve trout fishing over the weather we've had this week.  Friday may not be so great as the fish adjust, but temps in the lower to mid 60's Saturday and Sunday on the heels of some rain showers sounds about perfect for trout fishing to me.  Mornings may be a little slow with overnight temps in the 30's but once the sun gets up and warms the water

If you're fishing for warm water species though I'd expect it to be a little more challenging. 
    Panther99
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:trout and cold front question 2013/05/24 11:26:37 (permalink)
    The cooler water temps will definitely improve the trout responsiveness. Anything over 65 degrees is not a good thing.

Just as important is the amount of insect activity. The more more bugs the more active the trout usually are. I fished a stream on Wednesday with temps in the high 60s but the bugs were numerous and nymphs did very well. Got 10 in two hours. If you have enough insects and its not too cold for them you should do fine. I would think that the cooler temps will dictate the fly not bait for best results.
    Flyrddr1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:trout and cold front question 2013/05/27 07:39:31 (permalink)
    Cold fronts tend to have a negative effect on fishing.  Fish almost seem to get lock jaw following a cold front......at least thats the excuse I use!  The first day of a cold front is the worst.  Fish will acclimate after a couple of days and can be easier to catch, but you might want to slow your presentation down though.
    Jump to: