Allegheny River Question

Author
Billy7
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2013/05/14 13:23:00 (permalink)

Allegheny River Question

I have a Tundra 21 foot Deep V boat.  I have been up as far as Kittanning pool.  Does anyone know how far i can go up north with this boat?  Also suggested areas for the boat launch.  Targetting small mouth.

Thanks

8 Replies Related Threads

Jetboater
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re:Allegheny River Question 2013/05/14 23:34:27 (permalink)
    The dam at Kittanning is Lock 7.  Next one upstream is Lock 8, launch ramp is at Cowanshannock Creek, on the river road out of Kittanning.  Next is Lock 9, ramp for that one is at Templeton.  You can run the last pool above Lock 9 for maybe 5 miles or so.  That launch ramp is at East Brady.
    All these ramps are big and modern.  You'll have no problems with any size boat in the dam pools if you're careful.  There are some shallow and rocky spots below the dams.
    I think all those locks are closed this year, so you have to trailer from one pool to the next.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 447
    Re:Allegheny River Question 2013/05/15 07:47:35 (permalink)
    Cowanshannock Creek is still in pool 7.
    That one is kind of tight to launch & load from...not much room behind you when you back off the trailer. Yes a concrete ramp, but the banks of the creek are very muddy and soft.
    A word of advice if you use the Cowanshannock ramp...inspect your trailer and your wheel lugs, I had lugs stolen off the trailer and didn't know it untill the wheel almost came off. Another guy that I know that uses that ramp also had the same problem.

Templeton ramp is pool 8.

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 447
    Re:Allegheny River Question 2013/05/15 07:59:50 (permalink)

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re:Allegheny River Question 2013/05/15 09:33:43 (permalink)
    Erie Mako

That one is kind of tight to launch & load from...not much room behind you when you back off the trailer. Yes a concrete ramp, but the banks of the creek are very muddy and soft.
    A word of advice if you use the Cowanshannock ramp...inspect your trailer and your wheel lugs, I had lugs stolen off the trailer and didn't know it untill the wheel almost came off. Another guy that I know that uses that ramp also had the same problem.

is there even a good reason to steal wheel lugs?  or is it just a bunch of locals being jagoffs
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re:Allegheny River Question 2013/05/15 10:08:56 (permalink)
    Accountant

Erie Mako

is there even a good reason to steal wheel lugs?  or is it just a bunch of locals being jagoffs

We figured the locals... or if not actual locals we have seen folks bank fishing at the ramp and they have to pull in their lines for boats to pass.   So no, there is no reason to steal them... and jagoff would be the politest of the terms I was using for them when we had to drop the trailer on a roadside pulloff and I waited with it while EM went into Kittanning to get replacement lugnuts at Walmart in the middle of the night.
    BoroMusky
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:Allegheny River Question 2013/05/15 10:24:44 (permalink)
    Set up a trail cam on your wheels! Bust em! That'd be awesome... until they see the flash of the camera and steal that too...

post edited by BoroMusky - 2013/05/15 10:27:48
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    Re:Allegheny River Question 2013/05/15 21:55:46 (permalink)
    BoroMusky

Set up a trail cam on your wheels! Bust em! That'd be awesome... until they see the flash of the camera and steal that too...

Infrared game cam = no flash!
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re:Allegheny River Question 2013/05/30 09:02:34 (permalink)
    Just run some power to the trailer, give them a shock !
    Jump to: