PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE

Author
Hammer Handle
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 73
  • Reward points: 0
2013/05/02 10:12:53 (permalink)

PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE

I was hoping to go to Erie this weekend.  Sounds like PIB is awful.  Is anybody catching anything on the main lake?  Has the perch action started?  Anybody Smallie fishing on main lake?

12 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/02 10:31:46 (permalink)
    Walleye opener, I'm guessing there will be guys out looking for the shallow eyes. Perch are usually scattered this time of year but you can find them. If I could I would be out there...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/02 10:36:07 (permalink)
    From what I heard(no fist hand info), the perch are still in the channel area. They have been catching Lakers and Steel while trolling in the main lake. Smallies are starting to bite here and there in the bay, but no banner reports as of yet.

There are still some steelies and stockies in the creeks as well.

You can always check the east end angler web site under fishing reports. They usually have fairly accurate reports. On occasion I suspect Capt. Kurt may exaggerate a bit to drum up business, but if you know that before reading, the information can still be useful. He tends to use the phrases "in good numbers" and "plenty of fish" when the normal angler might choose words like "a few" or "a couple". 
    MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/02 17:51:15 (permalink)
    I fished a charter last weekend out of Conneaut and also had a very short shore fishing trip around PIB. We only caught 6 smallies on the main lake, and nothing in PIB. What we did land had some size, posted the best smallie (4.5) in another thread. But we also caught about 20-25 perch, many were kept. Caught them in a few areas in 25-35ft. Very slow couple days, extremely light bite on both the bass and perch.

Water was extremely stained. About 2 ft. visibility last Friday, and maybe 4-5Ft. by Saturday. Water Temp went from 47 Friday up to 52 Sat. Conneaut is not far at all from PIB area so I'd think thing were pretty similar temp wise. After this week I'd expect the smallies are on fire. Probably going to be awesome bay fishing too. Just gotta work around that awful cloudy water condition. And from a few reports I read, the bass are already in the bay, feasting. Both LM and SM.
    MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/02 17:54:42 (permalink)
    Forgot to mention, saw perch being caught in and around PIB in deeper water, from shore.

It is time for catching things at Erie and if I had a boat I would not be waiting around for someone else to tell me this on a forum, I'd be out there doing some catching.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/15 13:31:19 (permalink)
    william h

This upcoming warm weather ought to set up a more consistent bite.
    Lets hope so. The weeds are growing each day with all the decayed fish feeding them.
    Chief willy h

I think you're right. A little consistency with the heat would be nice.
    And, wow, the shad do stick to the korkers.
    SWPABASS
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/16 14:50:07 (permalink)
    16 Lakers on Saturday the 11th
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/16 17:43:25 (permalink)
    The smallie action to the east is good. The water color is great and temp have them in a prespawn feed.

As far as the perch goes they are there. There is enough perch in the lake to be worried about bay perch if you wanna fish the lake. There on plenty of perch to be had east as well. I would start looking in the 30-45' range. Use your electronics before you drop anchor. They should be wrapping up with spawning. Once they are done is game on!
    post edited by eyedreamn - 2013/05/16 18:14:22
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/17 19:05:37 (permalink)
    Tried to go out perching today. We turned back before we got half way to the cribs. The 4 footers were beating the heck out of our aluminium hulled boat. Instead of calling it a day, we figured we'd try out the bay. Catching a stray perch or a smallie is better than dumping the bait and going to work. We were pleasantly surprised and caught our limits in a couple hours. I even hooked into a steelhead (lost him at the boat).
    Five feet of water just inside the channel on the north side. Right where all the small mouth fishermen were. By the end of our excursion, I bet some of those smallie fishing guys were wishing they brought some live minnows. 
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/18 14:34:35 (permalink)
    They are spawning hard. They come into the shallow "sea-weedy" areas and get aggressive. All the males we caught were leaking milt. 

Keep an eye out as you clean them. A fair number of the ones we caught had parasitic worms in the guts(none in the meat). I doubt they are of any health concern. They looked like little white leeches with a dark stripe down the middle. I bet someone else could tell you more. It's the first time I've seen this particular worm.
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/18 14:38:37 (permalink)
    PS.

You're welcome for the tip. When it comes to perch, I say share and share alike. It's not like we're gonna fish them out or anything. 

Has anyone caught any gobies this year? I was surprised to not catch that close to the channel. Usually the perch are filled with them, but I didn't find many. Let's hope the population is starting to stabilize at a reasonable number.
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/18 17:09:18 (permalink)
    These were not int the meat. I assume it's an aquatic round or flat worm. As long as you don't eat the guts, you should be okay. I doubt an aquatic parasite could handle a human digestive system anyway.  I soak my fillet in brine overnight before freezing. I assume the salt water helps to kill unwanted hitchhikers.
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    Re:PIB CONDITIONS AND IS ANYBODY CATCHING ANYTHING ON THE MAIN LAKE 2013/05/18 17:20:10 (permalink)
    Most(if not all) wild game and fish will have some kind of parasite. It's just the nature of nature. 

Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life.

I'd rather see easily avoided parasitic worm on my list of ingredients than as-partame or sucralose any day of the week. 
    post edited by dakota kid - 2013/05/18 17:23:20
    Jump to: