Fishing Story....Big one

Author
Gooseguy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2013/04/24 12:43:15 (permalink)

Fishing Story....Big one

I was fishing for trout yesterday at Whoodcoch, below the dam. I was wading from the park down stream to rt 86, just fishing holes as I cam to them. I had two nice trout on a stringer for supper and they were floating from behind my left leg. I was fishing a hole standing in about 2.5 ft of water and the fish started really flopping around, I looked and didn't pay much attention and kept fishing. I then felt something hit my right leg and looked down to see a 35 in or so Muskey looking for a trout diner. I watched for awhile and saw there were two in this hole, they couldn't get out because of the water level at each end but had plenty of water to life until it rains again. I didn't have any lures to try and land one. That would have been like trying to catch one in your garage. The fish Warden said that they come up stream from French Creek because they can't get through the dam.

4 Replies Related Threads

slabfinder
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re:Fishing Story....Big one 2013/04/24 13:53:28 (permalink)
    Grab the biggest rooster tail you have and hang on. Landed one like that a few years ago but out of raccoon state park
    CatchinPABass
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re:Fishing Story....Big one 2013/04/24 15:10:21 (permalink)
    Have actually been reeling in a trout in a hole and had a musky hit it as I was reeling it in.  Soon enough was chasing him upstream before he spooled me.  I didnt stick him with my size 12 hook lol.  He finally let go and I landed the trout.  It had teeth marks all over it but it swam away just fine.  Had no intentions of keeping the trout but never knew if he made it or not after that attack....happened fishing Shenango Creek
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:Fishing Story....Big one 2013/04/24 20:44:10 (permalink)
    I had a snapping turtle grab hold of my stringer of fish last year. I thought I snagged up on something, untill I gave my stringer a good pull and up came the turtle hanging onto one of my fish. I cut the fish off with my knife and I headed into shore. What a surprise.

I know this may sound unsporty, but I know of a section of water in the Shenango River where fish become trapped in the summer months when the water level drops down. Fishing is good there most of the time. 
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Fishing Story....Big one 2013/04/25 07:00:21 (permalink)
    I saw a 40" last year on the Allegheny grab a 12" walleye full bore over the gills and run with it. The guy fishing ended up landing both but had the dilemma of what to do since it was only opening day of trout and walleye was closed. Could you imagine trying to explain that to a WCO?
    Jump to: