Conneaut River

Author
buggerman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points: 0
2013/04/23 09:07:38 (permalink)

Conneaut River

Fished over in Ohio this past week.  Noticed something that is really bugging me.  We fished about a mile, mile and a half up from the lake.  What would cause the river level to go up and down repeatedly through out the day.  We had a log just below the hole we fished, one minute you could see 18" of log above the water and ten minutes later the log was completely covered up.  Same thing was happening to the gravel bar we were standing near.  At first we thought the wind was brining in water from the lake but the next day the wind was from the other direction and it was still happening.  To my knowledge there are no dams on the river, any ideas as to what would cause the water level to change so much over and over throughout he day?

8 Replies Related Threads

StevenB
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Conneaut River 2013/04/23 14:25:25 (permalink)
    There are a lot of small streams that feed into the Conneaut upstream from where you were fishing. Farther upstream there could have been short rain showers that brought a lot of rain all at once. This is just a guess. I know for a fact that stream levels in smaller Lake Erie tribs fluctuate quite a bit in any given day which is do to rain showers many miles away. Again, I'm totally spit-balling here.
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Conneaut River 2013/04/23 17:12:14 (permalink)
    I haven't experienced this on Conneaut Creek(or just haven't paid attention), but I have noticed this on the Rocky River on the other side of Cleveland. I was about a mile up from the mouth.  It was a hot day and I had my vest just laying on the shoreline(about 3ft from the water) while I was wading, and one time I went to go to get something out of my vest I noticed it was almost getting wet! But then the water receded.  I was fishing around the first riffle up from the lake, and the riffle actually seemed to disappear. Kinda creepy.

I read somewhere and even talked to someone about this a few months ago, and I guess it is actually Lake Erie's "tide" causing the fluctuations.  I'll try to look it up and find a link somewhere.......

Then again it could just be from some short but heavy spurts of rainfall somewhere in the watershed as said in the last post, but if it's not that then I'm saying it's Lake Erie's "tide," which has a fancy name btw not sure what it's called though. 
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re:Conneaut River 2013/04/23 22:24:48 (permalink)
    I have fished that stretch of water for years, Have seen plenty of times what you are describing from the North side of the Old Main bridge all the way to the old boat launch . I think lunar tide , wind , waves  are a factor. I have been there when the stream flows backwards and just down from the bridge in the long hole before the RR trestle .
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    Re:Conneaut River 2013/04/26 21:24:29 (permalink)
    wind pushing water up the creek. i have seen seen it on elk also.
    flytierwon
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    Re:Conneaut River 2013/04/30 07:48:45 (permalink)
    Just Lake surges.
    Very noticeable at Elk Creek Access, one minute your indicator/float will have that perfect drift then a few seconds later is floating upstream away from the lake.

The Connie also has large ships coming in at the mouth which could cause the levels to fluctuate. The closer you r to the lake the more noticeable it will be.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re:Conneaut River 2013/05/01 07:19:11 (permalink)
    Seiche.

L13
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Conneaut River 2013/05/01 21:16:15 (permalink)
    ^That's what it's called!  Couldn't remember the exact word.

Here's an article about them(a bunch of others out there too...just google search)..

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/OhioGeologicalSurvey/tabid/23637/Default.aspx
    buggerman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Conneaut River 2013/05/09 12:11:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link to the article.  It all makes sense now.  Appreciate the the feedack from all.
    Jump to: