Cleaning Erie gear.

Author
Mags00
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 593
  • Reward points: 0
2013/04/22 22:30:20 (permalink)

Cleaning Erie gear.

Well I was wondering if maybe I'm looking into it too deep or thinking about it way to much.  With that said is it recommended to clean all hard lures (no feathers/trailers) and respool line and clean rod eyes that come in any contact with ANY water associated with the Lake Erie tributaries and the lake/bay itself?  I understand the cleaning the boats and hosing them off and pumping hot water though etc.  But am I going to drastic and wasting money after I fish for 2-3 days in Erie even if I don't get a bunch of weeds, gunk, slime etc on my line/lures?  Or am I doing the right thing in keeping the Erie line separate from say line I use at Pymatuning, Shenango, and the Allegheny River.  Cleaning lures is almost something I do normally now as is cleaning rod eyes.  Just was curious about the fishing line and such.  I also use 2 separate buckets 1 for chubs and fatheads and I have 1 bucket alone that is for Emerald Shiners. 

This conversation came up with my girlfriend when we were planing our Erie trip this year, she said about going to Pymie or Shenango on the way back from Erie, but then said "Well what about the gear?"  And I told her I didn't know I wouldn't do it so we probably will stop at those 2 places first. 

Any input will be greatly appreciated.  I am one for protecting and preserving the waterways as best as I humanly can.

3 Replies Related Threads

fishink
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re:Cleaning Erie gear. 2013/04/23 07:49:38 (permalink)
    Whether or not it's the "right thing to do" is one question, whether it would have any effect is another. The second is one that we can definitively answer.

Since the vast majority of anglers and boaters do not clean their gear (especially stuff as small as lures), your work is being done in vain. It would theoretically only take one person who didn't clean to clean to cross-contaminate waters. Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way around.

And also keep in mind that whatever ecology damage is done by anglers using line in multiple waters pales vastly in comparison to the ongoing, nonstop degradation of waterways by industry, runoff, sewage, etc. I'm much more concerned with that.
    CU@theriver
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re:Cleaning Erie gear. 2013/04/23 16:05:30 (permalink)
    i would not worry about line or lures.
    I worked as an environmental scientist for a few years before becoming a geologist.
    Clean your boat,dry your boat, and visually inspect in for hitchhikers.
    Waders and boots - 10% bleach and hot water
    Minnesota DCNR or DEP (whichever they have up there) would be a good place for information.
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Cleaning Erie gear. 2013/04/23 17:21:11 (permalink)
    Well the PFBC makes it seem like everything needs cleaned and such so I was just curious.  The main thing I look for is slime/weeds or any junk on my lures/line.  I know to wash waders and a boat (if I had one) lol.  Just wasn't sure about the tackle etc.  Thanks though!
    Jump to: