I need some advice on fly fishing NWPA!!!

Author
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
  • Reward points: 0
2013/04/20 22:17:01 (permalink)

I need some advice on fly fishing NWPA!!!

I moved to the area 7-8 years ago and live somewhere around Albion/Edinboro area.
I grew up mostly in the Pocono Mtns on the other side of state my favorite stream there is the Broadheads Creek what a GEM!,I have spent alot of time up in NY fishing Pulaski area(have a camper parkd up there).I am willing to share info via PM about fishing these areas in trade for some solid advice on where to go fly fishing here in NWPA for trout.
I am mostly a catch and release guy and do not have enough spare time to over pressure your honey hole and I know how to keep a spot to myself. 
I am not a trout snob stockies are alright but holdovers or wild trout are always better.
I prefer wading larger water and fast flowing water-not much for bushwacking and standing in slow pools.I am not afraid to wander FAR from parking lots I still got 2 legs in working order.
I realize I will probaly have to drive 1-2 hours to hit Oil Creek,Clarion,Allegany,Shenengo.....
I want to make a day trip soon and have read post on here before about these areas and done alittle research online but time is precious and  I was hoping to get alittle help if possible narrowing things down.
My grandfather/freind/fishingpartner passed away last Sept 1 -88yrs young(damm that brought up tears typing it) and I NEED to get out and use some of his gear to do what he taught me-MAKE EM'JUMP!
You can use the very good feature of this site Private Message if you want or share it with everyone and reply to post your choice.Or just ignore this post.

Life is short folks get out and enjoy it with those you LOVE!

9 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8540
    Re:I need some advice on fly fishing NWPA!!! 2013/04/21 07:31:33 (permalink)
    Few places around here have natives but they just stocked a few creeks, Caught many already. Just go to the stockings and look up where you want to go. The high water prevented fishing for the first few days and the creeks are loaded. Caddis and streamers. Don,t think you,ll have any problem catching fish no matter where you go. Good luck .

Josh7388
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 344
    Re:I need some advice on fly fishing NWPA!!! 2013/04/21 09:33:11 (permalink)
    Pm sent.

I live about 7 miles out of Edinboro.
    outfishya
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re:I need some advice on fly fishing NWPA!!! 2013/04/21 18:28:31 (permalink)
    neshanock creek (in volant) has a artificial lure only section that is pretty heavy stocked and there is a fly shop (neshanock creek fly shop) right on the crick. good spot is right out in front of the fly shop. 
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:I need some advice on fly fishing NWPA!!! 2013/04/21 19:16:35 (permalink)
    +1

Along with Neshannock, all the other streams you listed are good and I've fished them all for trout except for the Clarion.  It's on the list though.  The Shenango is a good warmwater river that just so happens to be stocked with trout. Well the other rivers you listed too lol.  And as Mikastorm said, just look on the PFBC sight at the stocking schedules and see what smaller ATW's are around you.  And for wild trout, look at the natural reproduction and Class A lists.  Some are gems, but others are duds.  And don't be afraid to check out streams that aren't on the list but are in a good area for wild trout.  If you need any specific info PM me, I'm always glad to help, but part of the fun is exploring the streams on your own.

Oh and you always got those stupid steelbows that run up those drainage ditches up there
    post edited by troutguy - 2013/04/21 19:17:56
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re:I need some advice on fly fishing NWPA!!! 2013/04/21 21:24:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help everyone I appreciate it!
    Yes we got steelies to catch up here but need to head east for some reel trout fishing I do think'
    Now i need to take care of chores and work so I can say "workcanwait" and go!
    I will try to report back when I get out but it will be a week or so...buried in stuff to do right now.
    wayneo73
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:I need some advice on fly fishing NWPA!!! 2013/04/22 11:25:12 (permalink)
    pm sent
    hookmeup
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:I need some advice on fly fishing NWPA!!! 2013/04/23 09:22:21 (permalink)
    Thinking about making my annual trek to the ANF to backpack in to a few small streams this comming week. Just wondering how skinny the water may have gotten already now that snowpack is long gone. We could use a little more rain here in Ohio come lately. Thanks for any input.

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re:I need some advice on fly fishing NWPA!!! 2013/04/29 21:11:58 (permalink)
    Marry you are a Jem.........
    I do switch from a fly rod to a noodle rod.....even use an UGLY STICK once in a while.
    Your post confuse me often!

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re:I need some advice on fly fishing NWPA!!! 2013/04/30 12:52:38 (permalink)
    Tell Steve to UTube it . Like to see a video of that .....just curious.
    Jump to: