Author
xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
  • Reward points: 0
2013/04/10 22:29:35 (permalink)

Looking For Rod Advice

Hello FishUSA Members!

I am currently in the market for a new fly rod and reel but as a "everyday American" I am on a limited budget. I have tried flying for the past few years and by now means an expert nor a novice. My current setup is a 9' TFO Signature Series 7/8 wt with an Okuma SLV 7wt reel. I have about $150-$175 to spend and want something that will be of good quality and honestly not a foreign jobber. No racism intended but just looking to keep our economy on the up (sigh: if that is possible). Anyways, I wanted to get something that would allow me to feel the fish fighting and not just the ability to haul the fish in. Basically, I am looking at a 5wt 9' perferably 10' to 12', and slow/moderate action fly rod. I have read countless articles stating a 5wt allows a newbie to feel the fish and to practice technique such as casting and mending; also the ability to fish multiple species. I normally fish for Steelhead, Bass, and the occasional pan fish when the other aforementioned are no where to be found. I have looked at the St. Croix Rio Santo Fly Rod, Redington Crosswater, the Redington Pursuit, and also several Cabela/LL Bean models. Any suggestion/comments are greatly appreciated. Also, any reel suggestions to make a nice rig? Thank you.
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/10 23:01:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
- every rod you listed is a "foreign jobber"
- you want a 9' (not 10' or 12') 5wt

for 150-175 for a rod/reel/line your best bet is this for 200 - http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-outfits/topo/

xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/11 08:15:02 (permalink)
I was under the impression that all St Croix and Redington rods were made in the US. Didn't Sage buy out Redington; which is a USA manufacture?

I spoke to FishUSA yesterday and they said that all the rods I mentioned here are outstanding rods for the price and all have exceptional warranties; not in regards to the Cabela/LL Bean rods. Anyway, I am just looking to spend under the $200 range for a quality made rod that will allow me to "feel the fish" play and also allow me to cast more appropriately while still lasting me many fishing outings. I mentioned that I would prefer a soft/medium action rod since the TKO 7wt I currently own feels rather stiff with little "play" at the rods tip. Any other tips/suggestions are much appreciated.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/11 09:23:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
You can always talk to some of the rod builders on here about a custom rod. You can get the action you want.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

KJH807
Pro Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/11 09:58:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
xXBeastFeesherManXx

I was under the impression that all St Croix and Redington rods were made in the US. Didn't Sage buy out Redington; which is a USA manufacture?

I spoke to FishUSA yesterday and they said that all the rods I mentioned here are outstanding rods for the price and all have exceptional warranties; not in regards to the Cabela/LL Bean rods. Anyway, I am just looking to spend under the $200 range for a quality made rod that will allow me to "feel the fish" play and also allow me to cast more appropriately while still lasting me many fishing outings. I mentioned that I would prefer a soft/medium action rod since the TKO 7wt I currently own feels rather stiff with little "play" at the rods tip. Any other tips/suggestions are much appreciated.

Farbank owns Sage, Rio, Redington
Sage makes their rods in the US (other products are imported)... Redington is all imported
That St. Croix is made in mexico

Also there are companies that are "assembled" in the US with all foriegn sourced parts... this is much different that a company rolling blanks AND assembling in the US

what fish are you targeting that your can't "feel" on your 7wt?

post edited by KJH807 - 2013/04/11 09:59:52

xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/11 15:23:58 (permalink)
Can custom rods meet my budget though? Thank you for your suggestion. If possible, that would be great! As long as a quality rod would be supplied.
xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/11 15:28:40 (permalink)
Thank you for clearing that up. You seem very knowledgeable when it comes to fly rods and fishing in general.

As expected, feeling a steelhead I think on any weight; would and is for my 7wt accomplished. But in regards to smaller fish such as stocked brown trout and pan-fish are far less noticeable. If that makes since.
krott243
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 03:15:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Sage Vantages have been on clearance around the web. Lake Erie Ultimate Angler has a Beulah Classic 9' 5wt on clearance for $170 I believe, sweet rod.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 08:34:11 (permalink)
jimmytwotime

4 or 5 of them I built. I get the blanks from tackle supply called american something or another.Good rods

This is hilarious..."american something or another."

You really should know what your talking about before you speak. 

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 08:57:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been searching the web for both rods you suggested here but cannot seem to find any for under the $200 mark. Some on eBay but I would perfer to buy through an authorized dealer; for warranty purposes. I will give LEUA a call. Although, I never heard of "Beulah" rods. Are they a reputable company? Thanks again.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 09:13:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
http://www.albrightflyfish.com/index.html
They sure do know how to mark them down...
I picked up a nice 7'6" 4wt from these guys.
Has been a good rod.

KJH807
Pro Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 09:21:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
beulah makes great rods... all imports, they are more know for their 2handers and switches, but their single hand rods are nice

keep in mind with the $200 mark, you will need a rod, reel, backing, line
while a 5wt doesn't need some crazy high end reel, I'd recommend getting a good line... line is nearly as important and a rod...imo  SA, Rio, Cortland all make good lines and will run $40+ (for your first setup, an $80 isn't needed).

So don't blow it all on a rod and forget the reel and line

xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 09:23:56 (permalink)
WOW! Talk about HUGE markdowns! On their site, there are several different models to choose from. What do you recommend? Is there anything that is comparable to what I am looking for? Thank you so much!
KJH807
Pro Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 09:24:41 (permalink)
bingsbaits

Has been a good rod.

Yeah, take that MSRP with a grain of salt... its a made up number
Its just a scam in perceived value

post edited by KJH807 - 2013/04/12 09:26:53

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 09:27:16 (permalink)
KJ you like the Orvis flylines ??
I see they have a bunch on sale.
I've had good luck with them...

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_search_tnail.aspx?dir_id=1137&group_id=21972&cat_id=29509&nav=10055&nav=50852

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 09:29:42 (permalink)
KJH807

bingsbaits

Has been a good rod.

Yeah, take that MSRP with a grain of salt... its a made up number
Its just a scam in perceived value

I'll bet the MSRP is double what they are truly worth.

xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 09:36:28 (permalink)
Sort of confused here...Are the Albright rods a good buy or are they something I should stay away from? Thanks guys!
KJH807
Pro Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 09:40:06 (permalink)
bingsbaits

I'll bet the MSRP is double what they are truly worth.

if not 4X

from that link
INT or Sink for the river... just make sure its not the salt/tropical
the salmon steelhead
5wt switch (used on a 7 or 8)
$17 for that WF trout is a good deal

KJH807
Pro Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 09:48:01 (permalink)
xXBeastFeesherManXx

Sort of confused here...Are the Albright rods a good buy or are they something I should stay away from? Thanks guys!

my comments were towards their marketing methods
they are imported rods that are marked WAAAYYY up to a high MSRP price
then albright creates the idea of value of saying "super special huge sale"... i think 75% off is the everyday price
so wow i'm getting a $900 rod for $150... not true
the $900 is just some made up number... $150 is the true price... under $100 would be a "deal"

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9829
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 11:04:21 (permalink)
I have heard very good things about the Albright - Explorer surf rods, although they are discontinued.  Not sure if that really makes for a good comparison to their fly rods.  To note, they have had some complaints about their warranty (basically nothing).  I've been in the market for a multi-piece surf rod for a while, and it seems to be either Albright or St. Croix.  Albright will do sales all of the time too, with most hitting $75.  As compared to St. Croix for $200.  St. Croix has a much better warranty.  If always $75, go Albright.  Since you need to wait, or pay the $150, then $200 with warranty is a better deal and better name.

Not sure if touched upon by others, on the 7wt. comment.  Fly rods are just like any other fishing rod.  There is no one size fits all.  Your ultra light is not the best for pike fishing, nor is a heavy action for stockies, ect.  Here is a general guideline.  2-3 wt. for native trout and panfish.  4-5 wt. for stockies and smaller offering smallmouth.  7-8 wt. steelhead, bass, pike, light saltwater and larger offerings casted.  9 wt. + saltwater and other large game. 
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/12 17:59:46 (permalink)
KJH807

so wow i'm getting a $900 rod for $150... not true
the $900 is just some made up number... $150 is the true price..

speaking of price difference....
Help a brutha out...
what makes a $900+ rod worth so much more than a $200 rod ?
what I'm asking is..."where's the beef" to justify $500, $700 ro a $1000+ more over a good $150-$200 rod?

some related questions;

how many rod blank makers are there in the world ?
not rod "makers" and name plates,  but blank manufactures.
I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) there's only a handful of manufactures that produce the majority of blanks .
Same for guides , seats, etc

are there any rod makes/brands  that make their own blanks "in house" ? 

one side note...it would seem flyrods  and golf drivers  share a similar trait ...
They're introduced at a price that's close to or over a week's pay ...
and three years later when the greater, greater'est new models are introduced,  they sell the "old model"  rod/club for hundreds le$$ all day long ..and still make profit

..L.T.A.

post edited by genieman77 - 2013/04/12 18:03:08
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/14 20:49:11 (permalink)
nobody loves me everybody hates me I'm gonna eat a worm

..L.T.A.

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/14 22:03:44 (permalink)
Genie,

I suspect that your general premise is true. Blank maker X sells blank to several "manufacturers". Possibly the same basic blank. However QC plays it's role. Blanks without blemishes, flaws in the balance or taper, or defects that may result in failure go to manufacturer A. Blanks that have 1 of the previously mentioned "flaws" go to Manufacturers B & C. And those with more than one, or one more significant flaw go to manufacturers D,E, F,-------. So the G L$$mis rod might very well be "better" than the LL CoolBean, and both better than the Wallyworld special. Add perhaps superior components ( cork, guides, reel seat ) maybe better wrapping, and the value difference increases. Is there a one, three, five, or even seven hundred dollar difference? that MIGHT be debatable. Not for me though

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
KJH807
Pro Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/15 10:33:41 (permalink)
price has to do on the company/ constructions/ and country of origin

here is an example with the Sage ONE... a top tier american made rod
but anyone's standard one of the most expensive production fly rods

Here is what drives the price-
In house USA product development and research
american rolled blank
american construction
individual quality control
propriety materials
quality components
warranty
a product designed and produced by flyfisherman for flyfisherman

a 9' 5wt is $775MSRP
http://www.sageflyfish.com/fly-rods/all-water/one/

BUT
it jumps to $1295...
$520 increase for upgraded components and a new tip
  http://www.sageflyfish.co...s/all-water/one-elite/

On the other hand a mass produced Asian rod
a company doesn't have to pay for all the USA based things like R&D, assembly, ect
They just call a factory in korea and say give me 10,000 rods 
DONE
Rods are made by people who have no idea about fly fishing

Not saying that asian rods are bad... I have a pile of them... and they work great
There is a builder that "blue prints" rods... where he looks to see how the flex/ perform/ lots of tech stuff... after blueprinting most modern production rods... the most true and least loss of power during the casting stroke was a $225 Korean made rod

there are also companies who blur the lines, and will design prototypes and do a lot of the process in the USA, then partner with an asian manufacturer and do finishing work in the USA... i just gave examples of the extremes

you also have to look at the companies when making a decision to support
- do the spend $ on advertising?
- support conservation efforts
- are they run buy a person looking to make $$$ or a person with a passion for the sport?
- warranty
- are they helping to further the sport... work with PHWFF and kids programs

xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/16 08:54:26 (permalink)
Hello Everyone and thanks again for all the responses.

I just wanted to report back and let you know what rod I ended up going with. Friday afternoon, I decided to visit some local fly/bait stores. Knowing that I was in the market for at least a 8 1/2' - 9'  5 WT rod, I planned accordingly. While I was at the big-box stores such as Gander and the like, I was presented with St. Croix Santos Rio rods and a few Redington rods ranging in price from $100 to $200. I then headed over to a local fly shop and was amazed by some of the prices of rods. $1,000+ for a rod....yea, my wife would kill me! Anyways, I was fortunate enough, I think, to stumble upon some Sage and Redington rods that were last years model and were marked down. I was going to choose the Redington Crosswater for $69 since I was on a budget and relatively a beginner. But then the store owner approached me and told me about their best bang deal. He held up a Sage rod and as soon as I saw the brand name, I assumed he was just trying to be a salesman. Anyways, he told me the rod normally sells for $340 and it was on sale for $200 since it was last years model.

It was a Sage Flight 590 2 piece 9' 5wt. I then debated for a while and took the plunge. Since this rod did not have a included rod case, he said he would let me have it for $150. Any thoughts?
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/16 13:01:34 (permalink)
Good deal IMO I just bought a sage response 4# 9' for 395$ yea I know I'm stupid but it will last forever and casts amazing I also have a crosswater be glad u got the sage! Note I also got Rio gold line wow! Does quality line make a Difference lay out so much better I will now always be a sage user as well as my bait dunkin gear will be st Croix expensive yes but its quality and its backed up wit warranty

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/16 13:31:14 (permalink)
Thanks for the reply!

I was thinking of buying the Rio Gold line but couldn't drop the extra $25. I ended up purchasing the Cortland 444 Classic floating line. I also purchased the Phluguer Trion 5 wt reel. Heard good things about both but like stated before; one mans go to fly gear may be different from another. I am hoping to get many years out of the newly acquired gear. Hope the same goes for you. Tight Lines!
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re:Looking For Rod Advice 2013/04/16 19:44:02 (permalink)
KJH807

price has to do on the company/ constructions/ and country of origin

here is an example with the Sage ONE... a top tier american made rod
but anyone's standard one of the most expensive production fly rods

Here is what drives the price-
In house USA product development and research
american rolled blank
american construction
individual quality control
propriety materials
quality components
warranty
a product designed and produced by flyfisherman for flyfisherman

a 9' 5wt is $775MSRP
http://www.sageflyfish.com/fly-rods/all-water/one/

BUT
it jumps to $1295...
$520 increase for upgraded components and a new tip
http://www.sageflyfish.co...s/all-water/one-elite/

On the other hand a mass produced Asian rod
a company doesn't have to pay for all the USA based things like R&D, assembly, ect
They just call a factory in korea and say give me 10,000 rods 
DONE
Rods are made by people who have no idea about fly fishing

Not saying that asian rods are bad... I have a pile of them... and they work great
There is a builder that "blue prints" rods... where he looks to see how the flex/ perform/ lots of tech stuff... after blueprinting most modern production rods... the most true and least loss of power during the casting stroke was a $225 Korean made rod

there are also companies who blur the lines, and will design prototypes and do a lot of the process in the USA, then partner with an asian manufacturer and do finishing work in the USA... i just gave examples of the extremes

you also have to look at the companies when making a decision to support
- do the spend $ on advertising?
- support conservation efforts
- are they run buy a person looking to make $$$ or a person with a passion for the sport?
- warranty
- are they helping to further the sport... work with PHWFF and kids programs

NOW i'm  fillin' sum luv ..

thanks,  Kato!
good stuff

..L.T.A.
Jump to: