Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring?

Author
track2514
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 964
  • Reward points: 0
2013/04/03 12:22:20 (permalink)

Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring?

Okay this is not a belated April Fools Day post, just had to get that out there first. I was really busy with work this fall so I did not get out as much as I would have liked for steelhead fishing. Well I have had some time recently and March 2013 was by far my best month ever in terms of catching/seeing steelhead caught in the Erie area. I am just wondering what others have experienced so far this Spring and if I am an outlier or the numbers have been good this spring. Maybe I am also getting a little better at catching fish since I have been doing it for a while now, but it seems to me that the numbers of fish this spring have been excellent and higher than I ever remember for the spring season. Also, certain streams/spots that usually produce for me have not been good, while others have been better than I ever remember. I am not going to spot burn or name specific streams, but I have just been very surprised by this steelhead season. Let me know how you have been doing so far this spring and good luck out there on the streams.

"The things you own end up owning you."
~~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

28 Replies Related Threads

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/03 13:54:26 (permalink)
    c'mon track, didnt you see the other thread? We are still bashing the low numbers of steelhead from fall and winter. Not the Spring numbers.

BH
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/03 14:24:14 (permalink)
    Good enough to keep me interested I went out once a week on average.
    I liked the way the weather gave us plenty of open water and high water events to bring in the fish.
    I thought there were alot less guys around too but I usually fish "bad conditions"in order to avoid the crowded days.
    Cuaght more 10lb plus fish this winter/spring than usual.
    Right now  I think there are less fish in Elk than normaly this time of year.
    Over all yeah I enjoyed my time out....
    track2514
    Expert Angler
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/03 15:03:56 (permalink)
    workcanwait....
    Right now  I think there are less fish in Elk than normaly this time of year.

This was definitely something I noticed also, but I also tried different spots and caught more fish in different areas/streams than I usually have in the spring. It seems to me that many people solely fish the usual locations on Elk and Walnut and they base their entire opinion of the steelhead fishery on how they do in these locations. I was one of these people when I first started fishing for steelhead so I can understand. I will not mention all the spots I did well at this year, but it seemed to me that Elk was a bit down this spring and I did much better at other streams.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/03 15:06:23 (permalink)
    I fished elk on Thursday last week and did well. There were a couple pinners walking out as we were walking in. They were nice enough to let us know there were no fish in that stretch. It turns out they were very wrong.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/03 17:10:54 (permalink)
    youinz  was snaggin suckers and didn't no eny bedder

BTW, those are MY Ohio strays...I paid for them
    I wouldn't normally mind sharing ,  but please send them home, cause those are the dumbest of the dumb ones
      (why else would they go the wrong way..)
    and really easy to catch .
    Try an have them home in two weeks ..cause I might finally get a chance to fish a little .

Your cooperation in the madder will be  greatly appreciated

..L.T.A.
    track2514
    Expert Angler
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/03 19:46:51 (permalink)
    genieman77

I know you are joking around, but I do wonder how many strays from Ohio we see in some of the PA tribs and if that is why I have been catching a good amount this year.

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/03 20:15:45 (permalink)
    track2514

genieman77

I know you are joking around, but I do wonder how many strays from Ohio we see in some of the PA tribs and if that is why I have been catching a good amount this year.

'cept for the jacks, Track, I guess nearly all of them are Ohio and NY strays .
    as you've noted, it's pretty  rare for Pa to get a "significant" Spring run ..it's cause the PA "spring run" is mostly strays and jacks

..L.T.A.
    track2514
    Expert Angler
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/05 17:50:44 (permalink)
    genieman77

track2514

genieman77

'cept for the jacks, Track, I guess nearly all of them are Ohio and NY strays .
    as you've noted, it's pretty  rare for Pa to get a "significant" Spring run ..it's cause the PA "spring run" is mostly strays and jacks

..L.T.A.

Having the stocking numbers gone up for Ohio and NY or do you think more strays have just gotten lost and shown up in PA? I am really wondering because I always remember spring steelhead fishing in Erie as being more of a bonus than similar to the regular fall season and it has seemed to be the same or better than the regular season this year.

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/05 20:43:33 (permalink)
    track2514

Having the stocking numbers gone up for Ohio and NY or do you think more strays have just gotten lost and shown up in PA? I am really wondering because I always remember spring steelhead fishing in Erie as being more of a bonus than similar to the regular fall season and it has seemed to be the same or better than the regular season this year.

Your guess is as good as mine , Track.
    I  don't fish Pa in the Spring all that much ..I fish Ohio  waters in the Spring  mostly.
    unless my favorite spots in Ohio are blown, i rarely travel across the border for what's typically thin numbers of beat up steel and millions of smolts at this time of year .

and of course the ubiquitous  "bugle mouth golden  trout"

I can't ever recall Spring in Pa being anything like Fall though

..L.T.A.

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/06 00:04:48 (permalink)
    Hey Track...I got 2 freinds coming up this week wanna PM me some advice?
    If not thats cool we will catch fish and have fun but sounds like you know something that I can only guese about I fished mostly Elk this winter/spring not many people around so I did just fine .
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/06 08:25:44 (permalink)
    workcanwait based on your reports it doesn't seem like u need any advice, ur doin just fine man.  
    If ur gonna be around on wednesday pm me maybe we can hook up.  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    track2514
    Expert Angler
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/06 16:46:29 (permalink)
    workcanwait....

Hey Track...I got 2 freinds coming up this week wanna PM me some advice?
    If not thats cool we will catch fish and have fun but sounds like you know something that I can only guese about I fished mostly Elk this winter/spring not many people around so I did just fine .

Okay I just sent you a pm

shmoe
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/07 08:12:40 (permalink)
    why would ya wanna swim to ohio anyway... PA is much better... come on fish!

i would think that there are some steelhead that are just late comin in. 
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/07 18:34:58 (permalink)
    shmoe

why would ya wanna swim to ohio anyway

cause there's enough water to cover their finz???

. come on fish!

HEY!!...knock that off!!
    those are MY fish .....I PAID FOR 'EM

on a serious note...

i would think that there are some steelhead that are just late comin in. 

WAY late if they're Pa fish .
    Pa  has never had significant runs in the Spring that i can recall
    Most are sho'nuff strays 
    I have a theory though ....
    mebby..just mebby some are natural repro'd from Ohio Manisitee strain .
    might kinna make sense why some of the "different" waters have fresh fish that Track is seeing in better than usual numbers  .

my theory goes sump'um like this;
    Pa is generally done by Easter ..most all the Pa fish have skedaddled back to the lake or been rOped 
    Lessening the angling pressure on not only the popular spots, but even more so on the "less traveled" waters .
    that greatly increases the odds of any Spring run strays to make babies

so from now on, when you see me on the creeks, youinz should buy me lunch  since i provided you with those "bonus" fish.
    or a dozen donuts would be fine too...maple or chocolate iced cream sticks preferred

..L.T.A.

shmoe
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re:Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/04/08 10:17:06 (permalink)
    "Pennsylvania is a fish factory. Pennsylvania has a very strong trout fishing heritage. They seem to realize the tourism potential of steelhead fishing better than the other states. They want your money..!! Simply put Pennsylvania takes their trout fishing seriously..!! They are experts at raising large numbers of smolts (baby steelhead). Pennsylvania stocks more fish in Lake Erie than all of the other States and Provinces combined. We affectionately call the Pennsylvania fish "mutts". The Pennsylvania steelhead program has been very successful at raising fish that run at different times throughout the season. It is their goal to have fishable numbers in the streams for nine months a year. Pennsylvania collects their broodstock from Trout Run and Godfrey Run. These small heavily stocked streams are off limits to fishing. The Game Commission collects eggs at these streams at various times throughout the season. They hope that these steelhead's offspring will return to the stream at the same time of year as their parents did. ***In effect they are manipulating the runs to last longer.*** It is working. The major problem that Pennsylvania faces is lack of access. Pennsylvania has very few river miles of stream and angler overcrowding has become a big problem. Fishing pressure is another piece of the puzzle that must be considered."

Taken from http://www.steelheadschoo.com/best_time_2_fish.htm
    The whole page has some good and interesting info..
    Cheesesteak
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/11/20 11:14:07 (permalink)
    Hey Track,
       I'm planning a trip to Western NY this spring. Staying clear of the Catt but will be fishing closer to PA. I was thinking the 3rd weekend in March, would that work or do you think maybe the last weekend in March would be better? Did well at the beginning of this month for the fall run and am looking to getting back out there in the Spring.

Tight Lines,
    Cheese
    track2514
    Expert Angler
    Re: Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/11/20 12:21:19 (permalink)
    Cheese

Are you thinking about 20 mile in NY? Also, it is hard to predict right now because we have no idea how warm it will be in March right now. I am doing even better this fall than I did in the spring, but it seems that Erie steelheading has getting better than previous springs. I would say if it is still relatively cold, the end of March and early April may still be good, but if it is warmer the beginning or middle of March may be better. Of course flow is important also, but in the spring there is usually enough rain to make sure that there is some flow.

Cheesesteak
    New Angler
    Re: Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/11/20 15:31:28 (permalink)
    No, Not 20 Mile. Talking about the 2 "C" creeks about 1/2 hour and 1 hour east of the Catt but before PA border. I'd spell them out but I am new to this forum and not sure if I can name tribs. Anyway, we had a great trip Nov 1st thru 5th, Lots of fish, lots of places to fish and really no pressure compared to a lot of other places I've been. I hooked up with a guy from the NY Bureau Of Fisheries and he told me the Spring run is just as good if not better than the fall so we will be going back there in the spring, he said late March. Guess we'll just have to wait for the winter and see what happens. I'm gonna have trouble waiting though, might have to take a few runs up to Pulaski (only 4.5 hours compared to 7) to get my steel fix.
    track2514
    Expert Angler
    Re: Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/11/20 17:34:48 (permalink)
    Cheese

People shouldn't get upset if you name some of the larger streams like Elk, 20, or Walnut, especially if you don't talk about specific spots. I have fished 20 in NY and PA and I have also fished the streams/rivers you are talking about in NY. In NY spring is definitely different than PA and PA mainly stocks fall run fish. You can still catch them in the spring and the numbers seem to be getting better in the spring, but it is not the primary season. NY has a variety of steelhead along with salmon, here is a good description:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/62202.html
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/60290.html
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7028.html

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/11/20 18:36:30 (permalink)
    Cheesesteak
    No, Not 20 Mile. Talking about the 2 "C" creeks about 1/2 hour and 1 hour east of the Catt but before PA border. I'd spell them out but I am new to this forum and not sure if I can name tribs. Anyway, we had a great trip Nov 1st thru 5th, Lots of fish, lots of places to fish and really no pressure compared to a lot of other places I've been. I hooked up with a guy from the NY Bureau Of Fisheries and he told me the Spring run is just as good if not better than the fall so we will be going back there in the spring, he said late March. Guess we'll just have to wait for the winter and see what happens. I'm gonna have trouble waiting though, might have to take a few runs up to Pulaski (only 4.5 hours compared to 7) to get my steel fix.

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/11/20 18:44:23 (permalink)
      The guy you hooked up with is full of fith. There is no  spring run, the few that might come in are late fall/winter  run that are in low water and exposed to sight fishing snagging.  Not worth your efforts. No fish spawning are worth fishing for. Get your priorities straight.     Glen , I'm 5 minutes away and would not bother
    post edited by glen - 2013/11/20 18:48:10
    Cheesesteak
    New Angler
    Re: Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/11/21 09:41:38 (permalink)
    glen
      The guy you hooked up with is full of fith. There is no  spring run, the few that might come in are late fall/winter  run that are in low water and exposed to sight fishing snagging.  Not worth your efforts. No fish spawning are worth fishing for. Get your priorities straight.     Glen , I'm 5 minutes away and would not bother

Glen, I would never go on the word of one man. I have done tons of research, talked with, met with and fished with several good sources, fished the Catt last Spring as well with some success. Having said that I am certainly not going to take your word, the word of one man who lives there and probably doesn't want me invading "your" waters. I like smaller water than the Catt and the C & C are exactly where I will be this coming Spring, next Fall, the following Spring and so on. Fish on!

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    Re: Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/11/21 11:25:51 (permalink)
    Cheesesteak
    glen

Glen, I would never go on the word of one man. I have done tons of research, talked with, met with and fished with several good sources, fished the Catt last Spring as well with some success. Having said that I am certainly not going to take your word, the word of one man who lives there and probably doesn't want me invading "your" waters. I like smaller water than the Catt and the C & C are exactly where I will be this coming Spring, next Fall, the following Spring and so on. Fish on!

Yea, Glen you greedy azz local......

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    Re: Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/11/21 11:45:49 (permalink)
    Yea  Glen has no idea what he is talking about after all he is still a youngen at 129 years of age.....  and has caught 1,345,234 Steelhead as of last year  this year it will no doubt go up to 1,346.859

Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    Re: Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/11/21 13:40:45 (permalink)
    It's  the NY ONTARIO tribs that have half decent spring fishing, not the Erie tribs. The spring run in the NY Erie tribs is insignificant at best. Wanna fish the NY Erie tribs in the spring, Cheese cake. Have at it. Knock yourself out.
    post edited by Plum Bob - 2013/11/21 13:56:02
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    Re: Steelhead Numbers Up This Spring? 2013/11/21 15:23:55 (permalink)
    Erie gets a better Spring run because they stock way more fish.
    Timing is the same as Erie. First high water after the ice breaks up.
    Once the water hits mid to high 40's, the fish drop their eggs and scoot out to the lake.
    Ontario is a different story. It's manufactured that way.
    Panther99
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    About 90% of PA Steelhead run from September to the end of November. Ohio's big runs are 2013/11/21 16:14:26 (permalink)
    in the spring.

PA spring runs have a lot of strays and beat up holdovers, usually not very good. I have logged results since 88 and that's about how it goes.

It's true that PA stocks a lot of fish but considering the results, crowds, and lately, frequent no shows for the large numbers stocked you have to wonder about how it has been working out lately. There is not a lot of room on PA streams for the fish or the crowds the last 10 years.

The Ohio program will start to increase its #s. The grand total is negotiated between the 3 states and Ontario which stocks quite a few in their Grand River. There is a ridiculous number of miles of stream in OH nad NY too that never get touched. There are the usual obvious spots that less skilled anglers crowd out in NY and OH but a ton of water that takes a littel more to get to and most people avoid the work.

I for one do not like the trend that I have seen over thalst 5 years. Fishing is OK but not what is was last decadeand before. Not withstanding the crowds anyway the #s are not there. I am thinking that the great Walleye fishing the last 5 years might have a lot to do with that.  THye end up in teh east in the spring and spen their summers working their ay back to the west side. I winder sometimes how badly the smolts get hammered in teh spring by them. As their #s fluctuate do the SH offset them?

"I don't post often but when I do I prefer BS"
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: About 90% of PA Steelhead run from September to the end of November. Ohio's big runs a 2013/11/21 16:21:07 (permalink)
    Panther, you are close, actually, 90% of the steelhead, anywhere, run on the days I'm not fishing....WF...Maybe 95% of them
    Jump to: