Holiday Camplands

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9842
  • Reward points: 0
2013/03/26 16:24:48 (permalink)

Holiday Camplands

I saw mention of this community on the stolen pontoon thread.  I looked at the web site, and looks pretty interesting.  My Dad has been talking for years to get a trailer.  Although his dream is to get one in the Erie area, and one down south for the Winter, 900 ft2 that he can pull with a Hyundai Elentra and get 50 MPG while pulling to free, water front campsites...  Obviously, that isn't reality.  Seeing some of the openings in Holiday, he might be able to get part of his dream.  I grew up camping at Jamestown a few times every year, so know that he likes Pymie as well.  I like the sounds of the community feel that the site says.

For those that have property there, what is the community like?  Is it mostly retirees?  Guessing a few old steel hunkies that he could relate to?  It looks like a lot more to do than just the lake.  It looks like you have your own small lake, mini golf course, and swingers pool (why is it called swingers?).  Is there walking access to the big lake, or is mostly driving access?  For those that are PA residents, I take it that you need an Ohio license, unless on a boat or drive to PA.  Are there any other communities up there, that are similar, in PA?  Are the taxes pretty fair?  What are the rules on guests?  If my folks got a place, I'd plan on making a few weekend trips...    

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies Related Threads

genslers
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Holiday Camplands 2013/03/26 19:00:12 (permalink)

Porktown,

I have a camp @ Holiday Camplands. The community is great. It is a mix of both young families and Snow birds (Retired people who travel south for the winter). It is a 600 acre campground with 3,200 campsites with it's own 26 acre lake (Gault Lake). It has 2 in ground swimming pools (Swinger pool is the road that it is on lol) and a 9 hole par 3 golf course that are free to use. They have either a band or a DJ every Saturday night from Memorial day to Labor day. They have lots of activities for both young and old all summer long. You could walk to the lake from the main entrance (across the road is a walking path) You do not need an Ohio license if you fish at Gault Lake. You purchase a lot and that property is yours, then there is a yearly fee for campground maintenance and 24/7 365 gated security. You can have as many guests as you want. They give you three car passes when your dues are paid and you can purchase up to 3 more at $10.00/per. The for sale lots are posted on their website http://www.holidaycamplands.com/lotsales.htm . I am a Pittsburgh native and had reservations about buying a camp in Ohio but, after researching all the other campgrounds in the area and having been there for 5 years I would go to no other campground in the area. The fun little sidebar of the campground is that it is 2hrs from Pittsburgh and 2hrs from the mistake by the lake cleeveland so we get to rub the brownie fans nose in it about how much better the Steelers are.

Hope this helps.

Once you go topwater Bassin' you'll never go back!!!!
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re:Holiday Camplands 2013/03/26 20:09:00 (permalink)
    Genslers,
    That is pretty much the info that I was looking for. I will pass along to my Dad and hope for the best!
    Thank you very much for the info.
    PT
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re:Holiday Camplands 2013/03/26 20:29:40 (permalink)
    "old steel hunkie" describes the vast majority of the population of both the mon valley and the ohio valley.
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    Re:Holiday Camplands 2013/03/26 20:32:37 (permalink)
    I have only been there a couple times but I have some family and friends who love it there.  My parents go to my Aunts up there about once a month and really enjoy the place.   The description that  genslers gave sums it up.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    PymieCaster
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Holiday Camplands 2013/03/27 07:01:12 (permalink)
    Genslers summed it up just fine. There isn't a better campground for the money and the activities are fantastic for the children and adults alike. It is open all year round not like others where it closes and you cant go til it re-opens and there are a few of us that stay here year round.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re:Holiday Camplands 2013/03/27 08:41:41 (permalink)
    This place sounds pretty cool.  At the very least something for me to hope he pursues!  If not, I might have to re-investigate when my kids weekend schedules slow a bit.  Going to likely be a while for that.  

bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2566
    Re:Holiday Camplands 2013/03/27 10:53:57 (permalink)
    Accountant

"old steel hunkie" describes the vast majority of the population of both the mon valley and the ohio valley.

I'm a retired steel worker. Around these parts we referred to our selves as mill rats or mill hunkies.
    We never gave any thought in doing so, that it might be deemed disparaging to those of Hungarian descent. Of course, we called each other quite a few other things, most of which wouldn't be fit to mention here.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re:Holiday Camplands 2013/03/27 11:23:55 (permalink)
    My bad, the term he always used was mill hunkies too.  I'm guessing a large portion of Western PA guys 50+ are either ex-mill hunky or had some experience in one of the suppliers, transport or other associated companies.  No offense intended in the term of course.  Just seeing if there were guys with similar backgrounds in the Campland community.  I would assume there would be, being 2 hours from Pittsburgh and Cleveland.  
    pinball
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Holiday Camplands 2013/03/28 22:08:14 (permalink)
    The prices listed for the lots with and without campers aren't that inexpensive.  It is still a depressed real estate market in that area, you may be able to buy a bigger property for the same price.  Go to www.realtor.com , put in the towns on both sides of the lake, and look at the properties that are for sale.  Doesn't hurt to check it out.

Good Luck!  
    Jump to: