Fishing for Steelhead in the Spring

Author
Troutcommander1031
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2013/02/25 10:39:18 (permalink)

Fishing for Steelhead in the Spring

Hey guys as im writing this frigid temps still plague Pennsylvania and the fish are probably still holding in the deep pools or under the ice. But as always spring should hit steelhead alley and trigger the fishe's internal clock once again for their spawning migration and then their descent back to lake erie. Watch as air and water temperature's change flow and also feeding habits. As water temps rise fish will be come aggressive once again and far more cooperative in taking a lure or a fly. Here are a few tips i have picked up and others lessons gracious teachers have shown me.

1. If fishing high flows during the spawn try to watch for the female who will flash her tail profusly as she diggs her redd.
2. Target the males who are competing for spawning rights they will be lined up downstream. You can't miss them they are the dark colored up fish with the largest kypes in the stream. Target these fish by throwing flatfish lures,rapalas, and spoons or any other minnow immatation. Fly guys try buggers or any other fly prefferably the narliest looking thing in your box trust me it will pay off.
3. If you can see the stream contours well and only females exist try drifting eggs. Not sure if there is any truth to this but read one time during the spawn females arent actively eating eggs but more of a maternal instinct to pick up loose eggs and place them back in the redd. " something to ponder"
4. Sometimes erie can get a small spring run " Guys correct me if im wrong no foul" or a manistee strain spring run fish. But if your fishing upper section of streams which i would reccomend to avoid smolts and suckers. Most silver fish you are seeing are drop backs under going to genetic mutation once again. Hence they start to chrome back up before they reach the lake. These drop backs most likely have already spawned and are eating machines trying to regain calories for the trip back to the lake.
5. If you find extremely large pods of fish stay on them with jigs and lures and try to anticipate or track there movements back downstream so you can stay with them and be on top of large groups of fish every trip.
6. Remember guys these last 2 months are the last time you can target these fish till next fall and spring fishing can sometimes be just as productive or even better than the fall. For more info check out the info Nagy has good fisherman with loads of knowledge on steelhead fishing. The resources are there do some homework and use them.
Recap : Spinning Guys: Target males with lures such as flatfish rapalas,small spoons, and jigs. Most strikes will come on the swing as it passes by the males. Some strikes may feel like he tried ripping the rod out of your hands. Pretty awesome
Fly Guys: Put away the egg patterns and nymphs and go for something less subtle like a wolly bugger,tube fly or just once of your own creations. The object is to get the males attention and **** him off.
Rearrange your gear and get ready when warmer temps hit fishing going to pick up.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to: