Who's ready for some spring bass action?!

Author
CatchinPABass
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Reward points: 0
2013/02/03 18:57:19 (permalink)

Who's ready for some spring bass action?!

Well my profile name gives it all away.  Love my bass fishing and tournament fishing!  Great rush, thrills, and alot of cool guys to meet.  Was wondering if anyone would like to share some of their favorite spring time patterns!  Two of mine are flipping a jig, tube, or crawfish stlye bait around wood or shallow weeded areas when they are staging for spawning!  Nothing like winching a big ole pig outta some heavy cover!  Cant beat the crankbaits/rattle traps around points either in the early spring as the water rises!  Any one else have cabin fever, been prepping tackle, and just ready to set the hook into a big ole largemouth or smallie?

26 Replies Related Threads

jmat5
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/03 20:58:35 (permalink)
    Love the Live Target frogs on the lilly pads in mid summer at lake Arther
    CatchinPABass
    Avid Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/03 21:20:56 (permalink)
    Man, nothing like one blowing up on a frog or buzz bait!  I've had some real acrobats in my day!
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/03 21:39:59 (permalink)
    I take notes when I watch fishing shows or when I read an article. I don't have them with me right now, but I've seen new techniques that I'm going to try this year. One thing I'm going to give a serious try with is a the drop shot rig. This isn't a new thing but it is to me. I'm also going to use pumpkin head jigs this year too.
    CatchinPABass
    Avid Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/03 21:55:23 (permalink)
    Let me tell you, a drop shot rig catches so many fish its unbelieveable.  Catches all sorts of sizes.  I'm a fineese type of guy and I always have a drop shot ready, especially in the summer months.  When they are lock jaw its deff one of the best ways to go.  Tip from me though, always use a barrel swivel inbetween your drop shot rig and main line.  Saves you lots of headaches from line twist!
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 339
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/04 12:03:29 (permalink)
    besides the usual original floaters, jointed, and husky jerks and the rebel crawdad lures for smallmouth on the river. i bought my first pack of shakey heads and a pack of powerbait green pumpkin chigger craws. so im looking forward to giving them a try

jmat5
    Novice Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/04 14:38:40 (permalink)
    The other thing I like is the old rubber purple worm. Hate to give away my age but Mann's used to have a 6" purple rubber worm twisty tail that was coated in the FS-454. I wish they still made those. That was a couldn't miss bait at Arthur. It was like their dinner bell.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9843
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/04 15:38:28 (permalink)
    Drop shotting is one technique that I am glad that I added to my arsenal.   

No question about it, I am ready to get out fishing and Spring in general.  
    CatchinPABass
    Avid Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/04 15:52:57 (permalink)
    I hear you!  I use to catch em well on a purple Big Mr. Twister but the discontinued those as well.  Sucks when you find a deadly lure and go to buy it and its discontinued.  It was a shame when Gamma line company went out and some other spinnerbait companys I used to catch em on too. 
    jmat5

The other thing I like is the old rubber purple worm. Hate to give away my age but Mann's used to have a 6" purple rubber worm twisty tail that was coated in the FS-454. I wish they still made those. That was a couldn't miss bait at Arthur. It was like their dinner bell.

wetboot
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/04 16:30:03 (permalink)
    Im pretty sure my favorite set-up would be the trigger x flutter worms...besides throwing an old moss boss or a buzz bait..
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/04 17:18:31 (permalink)
    How many of you use tiny torpedos or jitterbugs or some other topwater lure on rivers?  Is it ever effective? 
    CatchinPABass
    Avid Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/04 17:48:35 (permalink)
    Its effective if you can find some bait or skools of fish.  Its really hit or miss on the rivers.  The rivers are pretty tough to fish in all honesty.  Gotta do your homework to have good days on them.  Best times for top waters are before sunrise and right before sunset.
    Accountant

How many of you use tiny torpedos or jitterbugs or some other topwater lure on rivers?  Is it ever effective? 

TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/04 18:05:48 (permalink)
    Accountant

IMO more often then not all you need is a rubber worm (motor oil, bubblegum or Junebug) carolina rigged to do some damage on the river smallies. Thunder Cranks, Rebel Crawdads also get the job done.
    The largemouth just aren't as prevelant in the rivers so I don't bother using topwater baits.

Got Walleye???
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/04 18:09:34 (permalink)
    CatchinPABass

Let me tell you, a drop shot rig catches so many fish its unbelieveable.  Catches all sorts of sizes.  I'm a fineese type of guy and I always have a drop shot ready, especially in the summer months.  When they are lock jaw its deff one of the best ways to go.  Tip from me though, always use a barrel swivel inbetween your drop shot rig and main line.  Saves you lots of headaches from line twist!

Try using 8lb braid main line, and add a 4+ foot section of flouro, using a double-uni knot. You'll never use that swivel again. The braid gives you unmatched feel, and zero strech, and is especially effective at greater depths. One thing to get used to with this set-up is NOT setting the hook. Those little tiny light wire hooks work far better if you just reel and allow the rod to load.
    With this set-up, line twist is a distant memory.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    CatchinPABass
    Avid Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/04 18:20:39 (permalink)
    What kind of knot are you tying to that leader of flouro?  Always had trouble with knots slipping with braid so never really was a huge fan.  That swivel has treated me well over the years with zero problems.
    ready2fish

CatchinPABass

Try using 8lb braid main line, and add a 4+ foot section of flouro, using a double-uni knot. You'll never use that swivel again. The braid gives you unmatched feel, and zero strech, and is especially effective at greater depths. One thing to get used to with this set-up is NOT setting the hook. Those little tiny light wire hooks work far better if you just reel and allow the rod to load.
    With this set-up, line twist is a distant memory.

jmat5
    Novice Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/04 20:38:07 (permalink)
    I use baitcaster reels for bass so I usually go with 20 or 30 lb. braid on my reels. Helps cuts back on on the birds nest and will never break the line in the lilly pads. I have one set up with 50 lb. braid for in the really heavy stuff. Usually flip in those areas. I like to flip a heavy crawdad with a 3/4 oz. jig head.
    MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/05 08:54:02 (permalink)
    I recommend the Crazy Alberto (modified Albright). This is the easiest and so far strongest knot I've used for braid to leader (copoly or fluoro). It's never failed on a fish or hookset for me, only on snags where I force it to fail. More often than not you'll lose the weight before the knot fails. Only knot I've found that can be tied in the boat with wind/waves that won't drive you crazy or take too long.

http://youtu.be/J56O3CZVu7M?t=28s

CatchinPABass
    What kind of knot are you tying to that leader of flouro?  Always had trouble with knots slipping with braid so never really was a huge fan.  That swivel has treated me well over the years with zero problems.
    ready2fish
    CatchinPABass

post edited by MisterZ - 2013/02/05 08:56:15
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9843
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/05 09:16:33 (permalink)
    Cool knot.  Looks like the tag end of the leader will work for teasers too.

I've caught some nice river fish on top water, mostly poppers for top water though.  I never really developed a pattern of when to use.  Usually if my go to stuff wasn't working, they'd make the rotation.  Good to pack in the box.  The rivers eat a lot of hardware, especially if fishing from shore, so the stuff that stays around the top is always good to have.  
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/05 11:20:53 (permalink)
    One day last year when I took a 1/2 day vacation from work in the AM, I hit the river at Harmar.  Once the eyes/sauger stopped biting, I started throwing for bass.  

Ending up catching 10 or so (up to 2.5#) that morning before I left.  Half came on a small, white buzzbait with a 3" chart. gulp twister as a trailer.  They were all smallies and came off the edges of weed beds.  I had a lot of fun that morning.
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/05 14:19:55 (permalink)
    to further elaborate, when using topwater in rivers, do you focus on calmer water or is it just as effective when the water is a little choppier?
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/05 17:17:15 (permalink)
    As my post said, I use a double-uni knot. The albright knot is also a good one.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/05 23:02:08 (permalink)
    if you can find a long deep slow hole on your river, last 45 minutes or so of light is your best bet for this lure and ive caught my fair share of smallmouth, largemouth, pike, a few missed muskys, even got an eye once..... as for line i use 15lb power pro braid for most of my lure usage..... i use a dual lock snap no swivel........  hope it helps, heres the lure,,Good Luck

jmat5
    Novice Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/06 12:10:59 (permalink)
    mooooooo,
    I see your from New Castle. So am I. You ever fish the quarries out in Hillsville? Some of the best bass fishing in PA. Hard to get back into them now though.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/06 13:22:35 (permalink)
    Im ready for spring bassin. My favorite way is to catch em with a weedless weightless 6" worm. My favorite colors are purple,tequila sunrise, and pumpkin seed, in that order but I have been known to experiment with other colors as well depending on water clarity.

I catch them also on a number of different lures through out the year. Top water rapalla , spook , buzzbaits, spinner bait, cranks, rattletrap, etc...

I use the improved Albright knot to attach my mainline 15lb braid to my flouro leader witch is usually 8-10lb flouro seaguar invizx. I do like that Crazy Alberto (modified Albright) knot , its similar to the improved Albright. Only differnce is the wrapping back to the loop which I dont do in the improved Albright.

DAMMIT , now I have to go re-organize my stuff again. but Im ready foe sho.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/06 15:58:45 (permalink)
    Jmat only a few times have i fished hillsville quarries even though the fishing is awesome i stick around town and fish the shenango alot, IMO tent city offers the best fishing in town from smallmouth to musky to carp and catfish

jmat5
    Novice Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/06 22:25:20 (permalink)
    moooooo4me

Jmat only a few times have i fished hillsville quarries even though the fishing is awesome i stick around town and fish the shenango alot, IMO tent city offers the best fishing in town from smallmouth to musky to carp and catfish

Wow never heard of Muskies up at Cascade. You ever get one? I caught a lot of bass there but never heard of a musky out of there.
    post edited by jmat5 - 2013/02/06 22:26:43
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    Re:Who's ready for some spring bass action?! 2013/02/07 16:03:01 (permalink)
    I meant the river for muskies not cascade, i once heard of a few small pike being caught out of 1 of the quarries in the shenango industrial park

Jump to: