Shenango-Pymy outflow

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
The Ref
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 180
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/20 22:07:07 (permalink)
Trout how did you come across this structure?
5000 it is nice to have a good discussion with out any BS, I'm just trying to get as much info and share what I can offer. This weather coming in this weekend is screwing me up I was planning on going an giving it a shot. Any of you ever go in the winter and have any luck? 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/21 00:25:10 (permalink)
Thanks for the backup on that Striper story Mikastorm. It's been awhile back, but I remember all the talk and seeing the photo back in the day. Any chance of getting a photo posted of that hog would be a great flashback. Yes I fished many a day in those cottage areas when the river was no where as congested with the wood it has now. It's just about impossible to get a decent drift now with all the trees and snags in the water. Some years the fishing was slow and some years we did hit the Walleye jackpot! I remember one morning we landed over 20 Walleye with most being in the 20"-24" range. Awesome nights were also shared hammering the Eyes. I'm going to guess that what you saw in that area was a partial cement block wall on the far bank pertruding into the water above the first cottage below the bend . It's probably choked up with timber now and gives the appearance of being a solid structure.  I use to cross the river in that area all the time and those block may still be there. No doubt back in the day that river held a lot of Walleye and it may still but all those trees in the water now.......man that's tough fishing!
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/21 09:45:28 (permalink)
The Ref, I saw it on Google Earth.  I wasn't actually there in person.  It's I think the second railroad crossing south of Greenville. 

Those trees tend to hold a good handfull of small gills and crappie with the occasional smalll bass and perch, but yeah it is pretty tough if your casting any distince out to the main channel.  You're screwed if you would happen to hook into a pig striper there today! 

Fish5000
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 694
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/21 09:54:23 (permalink)
It kills me when I proofread my post and after posting still find mistakes. Sorry ' bout that! I suppose that's a hint that I should quit working 12-14 hour shifts,lol.
Fish5000
Expert Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/21 10:22:01 (permalink)
  Thanks Ref! Your efforts are much appreciated as are the efforts of many others. I hate it when some peeps use the tactics they do in a discussion / debate. I do understand why they do it, make themselves feel better, superior, smarter, wear down their perceived opponent etc..., but that's not how it comes across to others as others generally see through their tactics. It doesn't matter how widely peep's opinion may vary on any subject as things should be discussed intelligently with "opinions" based on fact, not biases or prejudices.
  I have done OK in the winter just below the lowhead dam in the immediate pool on the Pyme outflow for crappie and walleye. Nothing earth shattering, but enough fish to make it a pleasant winter outing.
  Capt. Hook, I love your possible explanation of the supposed dam! So far, at least to me, it makes the most sense unless someone comes up with another possible explanation. I'm considering driving there this Sunday night, check it out Monday and hopefully get some fishing in as well. Already there, might as well maximize the time. 
Fish5000
Expert Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/21 10:27:19 (permalink)
Those lines were not there when I typed the last post and I'm not sure how they got there. I'm assuming I inadvertently hit a key just before sending the post, but not sure why it only showed up where it did.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8540
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/21 11:10:17 (permalink)
I have floated from Greenville to the lake and there are no dams of any kind in that stretch. There are two locations where bridges were removed. One is just down from main st. and the other is below Hamburg. Floated from Porter Rd. to Wasser Bridge and was in the water pulling my yak over trees more than I cared to until I got past Greenville.
Hook you are right on about how great the walleye fishing used to be. Not sure what happened but it started to go down hill about 12 yrs. ago. By the way I would not eat them from all the pollution from Steel Car. Just me...:)

troutguy
Expert Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/21 11:33:23 (permalink)
Thanks Mikastorm.  This is what I was referring to....

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8540
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/21 12:41:26 (permalink)
trout...that spot...a few years ago...is where I saw a boil of black tar looking stuff about 20' around come up in front of me. It was almost scary. Nasty looking crap.

The Ref
Avid Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/22 16:55:26 (permalink)
Mikastorm what pollution are you talking about...something in the upper river? And how much snow actually fell up there around pymy? Has anyone fished it lately...just looking for a report. Some more stories about past catches would be cool to. Muskies too? Thanks guys
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/22 18:10:19 (permalink)
Regarding muskies.....they are in there.  I only have two musky experiences with muskies on the upper river.  The first time I saw one hanging out at the mouth of that tiny little creek that comes in just down from the footbridge.  He wouldn't hit a thing and eventually just casually swam away.  The second time I was walleye fishing and hooked into a big one, which eventually broke the line.

I fish the lower river a lot more, like around Sharpsville, but I only have one experience with a ski down there.  I caught one this fall around 35-40 maybe(didn't measure him).  There are more pike than skis in the lower river, not sure about the upper. 
Fish5000
Expert Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/22 19:20:49 (permalink)
The outflow of Pyme [ the headwaters of the Shenango ] is a well known hotspot for Muskies, especially so in the spring above the lowhead, but they are below the lowhead as well. My son caught and landed by himself his 1st Muskie there when he was 7 years old.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/22 22:12:05 (permalink)
Muskies seem to be around Shenango upper and lower usually when your not ready . Mostly chasing Walleye is when they show up with me. I've lost Muskies both places throughout the years day and night fishing. Your right seems like the lower Shenango some years is packed with Pike.  Mikastorm is right seems like the super Walleye days on the upper Pymy flow have faded away. You would think with all that nice wood cover scattered along that river you would see some good numbers caught in the head waters. We took some nice Walleye out of there the last few years but no big numbers. One or two fish is about a average trip.
Lower river Musky being released by my son a few years ago (36")

eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/23 01:34:53 (permalink)
I have fished from the **** down past the snowmobile bridge there is a decent hole down there.  I have never had big numbers but i dont ever remember having to measure a eye.  They all seem to be nice size.  In the summer when the lake water is tea warm i do really well at night from where the water comes out down to where the creek comes in

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
The Ref
Avid Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/23 08:25:37 (permalink)
I remember years ago a guy catching a big ski right down past where the platform is today, this was even before it was even built. He was fishing for crappie with ultralite gear and he kept it.
The Ref
Avid Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/24 14:18:18 (permalink)
For you guys that fish the river below the pymy dam what are your go to baits and tactics for eyes and muskie...no spots just how you fish them?
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/24 16:21:04 (permalink)
The usual stuff works jigs, stickbaits, and some good live minnows. Bigger is better...........sometimes.

No photo spot burn when you fish late at night ! LOL
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2012/12/24 16:30:57
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/24 16:45:16 (permalink)
I know I'm a fishing photo junkie................here's one more!

mote1977
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/24 20:08:43 (permalink)
Did pretty well in the river below Pymy this past spring. Lots of walleye and some decent perch and crappies too.  Also landed a few musky and was bitten off by quite a few.....

eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/24 23:23:57 (permalink)
those are some really nice stringers you got there congrats on the catch

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/25 00:04:35 (permalink)
Nice looking bunch !
The Ref
Avid Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/25 13:31:47 (permalink)
Some very nice stringers you got there Mote...looks like theres still a good bit of eyes in the river...or maybe not since Mote loaded up on them last spring...haha just kidding. Ever get any real hogs there?
moooooo4me
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 339
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/25 17:52:28 (permalink)
wasnt from the river , it was from the lake at the spillway caught on a fat head fishing for crappie/perch it s biggen so i though id share

Fish5000
Expert Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/25 20:05:07 (permalink)
Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Pyme this past Sunday night as planned, but I'm not ruling it out in the next month or two. I never had a camera with me for any of the trips and just accepted it as being there, as strange as it was.
Fish5000
Expert Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/25 20:22:54 (permalink)
Capt. Hook, as usual, very nice pics, both muskie and 'eyes!  Moooooo4me, very nice 'eye and mote1977, nice crapppies and 'eyes! All in all you guys have fish that any angler would, or should, be proud of. Makes me want to go right now ! ! !
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/25 20:27:52 (permalink)
Nice catches everyone. Ok my turn to post a pic lol

Ski from this fall...

post edited by troutguy - 2012/12/25 20:44:36

Attachment(s)

troutguy
Expert Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/25 20:43:40 (permalink)
Regarding go-to walleye baits, Captain Hook pretty much summed it up. I had great days when they'd hit anything, and I've also had days when the only guy catching walleye was using worms. 

Average/little below average eye for me. Don't have any cool showoff(JK lol) stringer pics as I rarely keep anything. Nothing against keeping them, I just don't like going through all the hassle with filleting, etc. with all the fish I catch lol. 

Attachment(s)

troutguy
Expert Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/25 20:57:25 (permalink)
Only pic I found of an eye from the upper river.  I thought I had more but I must have lost them when my hardrive crashed and didn't back them up(stupid me). 

Attachment(s)

Fish5000
Expert Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/25 21:04:39 (permalink)
  To answer your question Ref, I have two tactics that consistently produce for my son, daughter and I. We always start out by using a Lindy Rig and not to insult yours or anybody else's intelligence, it's a hook at the end of the line [ we like to use circle hooks], followed by a barrel swivel and then a walking sinker. The distance between the hook and barrel will vary, but it's usually 1 1/2 - 3 feet. If we don't use a circle hook, we use a Phelps Floater which is a soft bodied jig as fish tend to hold onto it longer than other jigs. Actually, we always start with a Phelp's Floater. The size of it depends on the minnow we use. That's something that you can easily figue out on your own. We will either hook the minnow through the lip [ one lip so they can breathe and from the top lip down so they don't wiggle off ] or through near the caudal tail, just before the caudal. As far as colors, we prefer the half white/half blue, perch, pink or orange, but in reality, all colors have worked for us.  Like anything else, some days color matters and some days it doesn't. At times we will also use scent on the minnow. Our other favorite method is a minnow below a stick float . Distance from float to minnow will vary and is something you just have to experiment with. Sometimes we will use a small splitshot just  below the float, enough to keep the float vertical and at other times no float so that it lays flat on the water. I don't mind telling you we fish heavily along the dam wall and why not? It's structure. The other place we hit hard is by sunken trees [ also structure] and where the river makes it's first bend just down from the outflow, the gates. Also consider right up against the breast of the dam and also just below the fishing platform on the left bank where that little sluice pipe empties into the river. Sometimes it's hard to see with high water. And no, this isn't spot burning to those of you that think you're "secret " spot has been discovered. It's just plain good common sense on where to fish. Anyone that thinks they have a "secret" spot on probably any waterway is sadly mistaken unless you fish on a very remote waterway. All of these spots have been known about for decades and if you didn't know about them, all you have to do is sit there and observe where others are catching their fish. And yes, there are still other spots there that I haven't mentioned, nice little hidey- holes. Once again, observe what others are doing. Hope this was a help to you Ref! If you want to PM me and send your address, I'm sure that I have some extra Phelp's and I'd be happy to send you some. In any event , GOOD LUCK! Luck as you know is what you make it by careful planning.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/25 21:17:10 (permalink)
Feel bad for people who don't have a good river or a lake nearby to fish. Read some of the other reports South and East of us sounds like we are spoiled up this way. Nice pics guys keep em coming even  past photos are cool. I'm not bragging with these photos just enjoy packing my camera and loading up with memories when were out fishing. Enjoy sharing on these sites especially when it's too cold for us to chase fish. We aren't into ice fishing so it's a good time to play on the computer. Enjoy the photos............ more local river fishing.

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2012/12/26 23:44:35
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to: