Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
The Ref
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 180
  • Reward points: 0
2012/12/10 19:40:36 (permalink)

Shenango-Pymy outflow

I was up that way the other day and stopped to check it out and was surprised to see no one fishing. I heard that it was always good for the late fall through spring walleye bite...or was I miss informed. wish I had my gear it was a decent day. Anyone fish there this time of year? Thanks

121 Replies Related Threads

baldwisa
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/10 20:18:08 (permalink)
    Its been slow this year with the low water levels.  The walleye haven't moved up the river.  I've fished it a couple times with no luck.  Just some perch downstream.
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/12 15:55:12 (permalink)
    Walleye or any other fish can't move upstream from the Shenango to the lowhead dam below the Pyme outflow.  If one walks downstream from the Pyme lowhead dam, there is a huge manmade dam that fish couldn't get above no matter how high the water level is. Many people are under the impression that it's a free flowing waterway and fish migrate up from the Shenango, but it's just not possible. The only way for others to know this is to walk upstream from Jamestown or cross the bridge at Pyme below the dam and walk downstream. It amazes me every time I see it. I don't expect to be there any time soon because if I were there I'd post pictures. You know how it is on this site"pictures or it didn't happen". From what I remember, that dam is about 1/4 the way down, but that's just from memory. I remember it being a good hike. If anyone is there and the weathers' not bad, check it out. And yes, I do expect there to be naysayers after this post.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/12 16:01:30 (permalink)
    NAY!

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/12 18:28:46 (permalink)
    Pics or it didn't happen lol

I don't want to not believe you, but I am not aware of any dam on the upper Shenango River around Jamestown except for the lowhead in the park(w/ the footbridge & fishing platform) and of course the lake itself.  Google maps doesn't show any either. 

From my experience with spillways/outflows/tailwaters is the fish don't really migrate from downstream(in most cases), they just dump in from the lake seasonally.  For example, in the spring the walleye really stack up in a spillway I fish in OH, but there is a very high dam only about a mile downstream and they don't get over it and everyone assumes they come from the lake.  Not sure if this is the case for the Shenango below Pyma or not.  Another example, the white bass and hybrid fishing heats up in the spring in the Shenango right below shenango lake, but I know they don't migrate from downstream.  Either there are always big numbers there and they really show themselves in the spring(although they can still be caught year round), or there just happens to be a lot of them being sucked out of the lake at the same time every year because of fish movements in the lake.

I'm not 100% sure on this, so correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm sure the situations vary by spillway and river system. 
    post edited by troutguy - 2012/12/12 18:32:20
    The Ref
    Avid Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/12 23:16:18 (permalink)
    5000 thats an interesting comment about a man made dam on that river...and I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I remember reading an article in the PA angler mag about some org. clearing the river of alot of the dead falls to make a channel so the paddlers could get through.
    steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/13 09:47:01 (permalink)
    This summer I floated multiple portions of the shenango, and on one day we floated from the dam in Jamestown down to Greenville. We didn't have to get out because of any man made dam.

Lower down the river below shenango lake there are some smaller dams
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/13 18:49:44 (permalink)
    i caught a pike below the dam in jamestown before...always just assumed it came up from shenango. there is another little creek that runs into it but im not sure what its called, could have been from there also
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/13 19:26:01 (permalink)
    When you mean came up from shenango, do you mean Shenango Lake?  After all they are native and were in the river before the lakes were created. 

I caught a pike once a few years ago in Jamestown also. I've caught a bunch farther downstream(like way down) before though.
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/13 21:04:23 (permalink)
    i assumed it came from shenango lake... never thought about it much tho till now
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/13 21:09:55 (permalink)
    It's possible, but chances are it was born and raised in the river.  No sure way of telling though. 
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/16 16:04:53 (permalink)
    The only dam I can think of on the Shenango is in Orangeville, Ohio. 
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/16 19:24:20 (permalink)
    SmMouthSeeker

The only dam I can think of on the Shenango is in Orangeville, Ohio. 

That's Pymatuning Creek, a trib to Shenango Lake entering from the west. 

The Shenango River begins at Pyma, enters Shenango lake from the northeast and then exits the lake in Sharpsville and then meets up with the Mahoning in New Castle to form the Beaver. 
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/17 10:32:37 (permalink)
    He must be talking about the cement dam about 300 yds. below the Pymy out flow above the walk across bridge. That would pose a problem for upstream migration of fish on low water. When the river is high I see no problem for fish to get above. I was told years ago that the lake over flow building (weir ) has screens on as to not allow wood and junk through. I was told that fish cannot pass through the screens but every so often the screens are raised to allow them to clean debris out. I'm not positve on the weir action but when I talked to a patrol officer he basically new nothing about it. 

High water fishing. 

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2012/12/17 10:47:58
    The Ref
    Avid Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/17 12:59:27 (permalink)
    Some nice eyes there Captain!! Did you get them recentlly? I'm trying to make my way up there this weekend.
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/17 16:37:26 (permalink)
    Those are from the upper river I take it? Nice! 

CAPTAIN HOOK

I was told that fish cannot pass through the screens but every so often the screens are raised to allow them to clean debris out. I'm not positve on the weir action but when I talked to a patrol officer he basically new nothing about it. 

Interesting.  I think the number of fish being able to be sucked through depends on the dam type, lake, etc.  I caught a white bass in Jamestown this spring and I assumed it came from Pyma, although I never knew the lake had a good white bass population.  I highly doubt it swam all the way up from Shenango Lake.  

I don't have a lot of experience fishing for eyes on the upper river, but I always assumed they came out of the lake(Pyma) and not migrated from downstream.  Not sure though.  The lower river below Shenango Lake I'm not sure either. I'm guessing both.  The biggest concentration is directly below the dam but I know there are plenty downstream also. 

So I guess my question is, does the Shenango River(either between Pyma and Shenango, or Shenango Lake and down) have a good resident walleye population or do most of the fish spill out from either of the two lakes?
    post edited by troutguy - 2012/12/17 16:50:54
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/17 17:00:55 (permalink)
    Kinda answering my own question here...after looking at the PFBC stocking lists the last time the upper river was stocked with walleye was in '94(along with saugeye which I found interesting).  The lower river from Sharpsville on down was last stocked in '07.  Both lakes are currently stocked.  How many wild fish are there, and just how many stocked fish escape the lakes at an early age and grow up in the river I don't know. 
    post edited by troutguy - 2012/12/17 17:02:36
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/17 17:14:36 (permalink)
     No, I wasn't referring to the lowhead dam just above the walk across bridge as Capt Hook suggested. Maybe it was deadfalls as The Ref posted. From what I remembered though, the dam was very tall so that rules out deadfalls. When I do get there again I could take pictures, post them and don't mind doing so, but that really doesn't prove anything other than there is a dam on a waterway. I don't remember there being any distiguishable features that would identify that location. I was very surprised to see the dam the first time I saw it and saw it multiple times, three to be exact. I was just as surprised to see it as all of you were to read my post.
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/17 18:17:15 (permalink)
    well besides the low water this yr if theres a net so fish and debris cant pass thru that would explain the bad fishing for me at least below the dam this yr. o well fish are worth more in the lake than in a river where very little of it is fished for the most part anyway
    The Ref
    Avid Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/18 11:41:52 (permalink)
    I fished it twice last spring before the season closed and there were a bunch of guys there eye fishing so that should tell you that they get them there. I think there's a decent population in there and they migrate up.
    eye crosser
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/18 14:31:55 (permalink)
    I truely doubt that the fish at the outflow at Pymie are from Shenango.  It would take some high water for the fish to navigate some stretches of the river and than the fish would have to fight a very strong head current.  Is it possible ,yes, but not likely. The only time a fish could go through the shallow riffles would be when the water is extremly high.  Years ago when they PFC put some metal tags in the lips of some eyes (Pymie) I caught one below the dam.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/19 11:03:51 (permalink)
    Thanks , pics are from upper Shenango (Pymy flow) last year. I've fished that river many a day and I never seen or heard of a water way dam on that portion of river. I've never walked all the down to the Jamestown bridge from upstream but very close. There may be some kind of obstruction due to all the trees piled up in that area but I'll be surprised if there is some type of perminent structure there. Not saying it isn't there just never heard anyone ever mention it over many years of fishing that area. Seems like a area below a structure like that would be a hot holding area for Walleye and the word would have spread. No doubt in my mind that fish can migrate all the way up from Shenango Lake to the Pymy out flow. Many years ago Shenango Lake was stocked with Hybrid Stripers (still is) none in Pymy. A guy fishing the Pymy out flow area landed a huge Striper while plugging for Musky that was around 20lbs. The picture hung in the Hot Spot bait shop for years. I beleive another huge Striper (maybe bigger ) was caught not long after also in the upper river flow. Those fish came from Shenango Lake stockings. I beleive the one Striper was recorded by the Fish Commission as a record in the hybrid species back then. For some reason they don't reconize the hybids in there own category, they lump them in with Inland Stripers , but the guy's name and fish were recorded at the time. Interested in seeing some photos of that dam or structure when you get them.
    slabfinder
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/19 11:14:32 (permalink)
    A spawning walleye can travel over 20 miles to find that spawning site.
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/19 16:30:35 (permalink)
    I remember reading somewhere(or talking to someone, can't reamember) that although Pymy isn't/wasn't stocked with hybrids they did raise some at the hatchery ponds there at some point and some escaped.  I heard of a few being caught in the lake also.

Other than right below Pymatuning and Shenango Lakes, has anyone ever had decent luck with eyes in the river say in the greenville area or maybe down in New Castle far from the lakes?  Just wondering if there are lots of eyes throughout the entire river and not just concentrated below the two lakes. 
    The Ref
    Avid Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/19 20:25:02 (permalink)
    I agree that the eyes probably do migrate up from shenango lake on a spawning run and some just stay in the river after the spawn. That is along way to make it all the way to the dam below pymy. Anyone have an idea of how far? Checked the flow charts and its up a good bit the last few days, might be a good time this weekend but with that snow coming...
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/19 23:28:24 (permalink)
    I would say Shenango Lake by river to Pymy maybe 12-15 miles. Yes there have been some Stripers caught the last few years out of Pymy. They claim they were not introduced but they are showing up on occasion throughout the lake. Really not a bad thing in my view. Yes the river holds Walleye , Musky, Pike, and so on throughout the Greenville area as well as south to Pulaski in the lower stretch. The biggest problem is access, private land, plus shore line banks are very muddy and loaded with roots and tree debris. Most areas are just impossible to wade fish. The lower Shenango does have several drops in water levels with man made waterfalls if you decide to canoe . 
    The Ref
    Avid Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/20 12:50:21 (permalink)
    The farthest I've went down stream was down around the first bend where there's a few camps on the opposite bank. Your right there's not many spots to fish because of all the high banks and dead falls. I'd like to put some time into the river...finding the right hole and you'd probable hit the jackpot with some eyes and muskie.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8540
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/20 13:17:52 (permalink)
    34 years ago, John "Jake" Satonica, caught a pure bread striper below the low head dam at Pymatuning weighing in the 30# range.
    That fish traveled up from Shenango Lake. By the way...Jake invented the grandma lure.

troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/20 19:28:58 (permalink)
    I found some sort of man-made structure on the upper river but it is just south of Greenville.  Not exactly sure what it is, but it isn't a normal low head dam....
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    Re:Shenango-Pymy outflow 2012/12/20 21:21:05 (permalink)
    I'm aware of the Stripers that are [or were ] mounted at Richters'. Dave said they "came up from the Shenango". With all that I've read from you guys, I'm beginning to doubt myself on what I saw. And no, I don't eat mushrooms, peyote or anything else that would induce visual hallucinations,lol! Late this year in the fall I was talking to s agroup of kayakers and one of them said he knew where I was talking about, the that doesn't prove anything  and I'm not implying that it does. With all of this fair weather we've been having, I guess I'll have to drive there and shoot pictures as best as I can get them. As posted earlier, that doesn't prove what I shot is where I'm saying it is, but also, I wouldn't BS anybody. If it's there, it's there. Spoonchucker cracked me up with his comment "Nay" after I wrote about naysayers and troutguy alos with "pics or it didn't happen" which I also commented on. Overall, you guys have been helpful in offering possible explanations and it's appreciated. It's also appreciated that the comments weren't condescending, argumentative, attacking etc... . I was expecting at least a few of those.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to: