Hit a steelhead rut.

Author
BDRATC
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2012/11/27 01:34:01 (permalink)

Hit a steelhead rut.

Hey guys, I think for the time being, I've hit my steelhead rut.  With the water as low and slow as it is, I would like to venture out to fish for something else.  I'm looking to fish from shore/wade, preferably close to Erie (although I'm not opposed to driving) in order to get into some walleye, musky, northern, crappie, etc.  I've done some perch fishing off the south pier as a fallback, but now I'm getting a bit bored.

Just looking for a little guidance as I am relatively new to fishing in Erie. Any and all help is appreciated, especially if you can give some guidance other than "in the bay," or "in the lake."

Thanks.

12 Replies Related Threads

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/11/27 03:14:27 (permalink)
    Stick to the piers and if you do wade from shore be mindful of the duck hunters in their blinds. The colder, nastier weather brings the ducks down and there's gonna be more shooting coming from them.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/11/28 12:42:00 (permalink)
    Burbottt
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/11/28 13:53:30 (permalink)
    I want a burbot. It's on my bucket list now.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/11/28 15:54:14 (permalink)
    Use the search feature and look up threads on French Creek. Also Woodc*ck outflow, and Eaton resevoirs. All are reasonabley close.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    gymi03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/11/28 16:00:37 (permalink)
    slabdaddy

I want a women with enormous hooters and $50 million bank account and you want a Burbott???.....Pfffft.

hmmm....after a little thought, your priorities might be more in order than mine are...
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/11/28 18:45:47 (permalink)
    gymi03

slabdaddy

I want a women with enormous hooters and $50 million bank account and you want a Burbott???.....Pfffft.

hmmm....after a little thought, your priorities might be more in order than mine are...

HAHAHA! It's nice to dream though, isn't it?  You probably have the right idea. Mamma always said, "If you're gonna dream, dream big!" Although I don't think she meant big boobs and a big bank account, I'm sure it would be covered by the same principle.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    BDRATC
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/11/29 01:18:24 (permalink)
    A friend of mine just moved to Waterford so I've been looking into French Creek (I believe French Creek is out that way?). I've been to Eaton, but barely fished it, thanks for reminding me about it, and I've never heard of Woodcock Outflow, so I'll definitely give it a look.  Thanks for the advice all, and keep it coming if you have more.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/11/29 05:56:52 (permalink)
    Start at Union City Reservoir outflow and work down.
    We used to catch November walleyes through there.

Snag_826
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/11/30 10:48:27 (permalink)
    Loooots of skies and walleye at union city. Big creek chubs used to do it back in 06
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/11/30 11:05:03 (permalink)
    A lot of woman today think and some know they have big boobs that hoot, they are called husbands!

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/11/30 11:16:05 (permalink)
    william h

chartist1

In four hours you could be in Pulaski, NY from Erie where the river never runs dry.....Get out and explore.

Why? for sub par steelhead?
    Now, 15 years ago? thats a different story.
    Erie pa has bigger, healthier steelhead than Ontario at this point in time.
    Bill h

If you call 20# sub par steelhead then you might have something.When was the last time you saw a 20# steelhead in Erie?I saw one and heard of a few others by reliable sources this year on the SR.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re:Hit a steelhead rut. 2012/12/01 00:41:28 (permalink)
    william h

pafisher

william h

chartist1

In four hours you could be in Pulaski, NY from Erie where the river never runs dry.....Get out and explore.

Why? for sub par steelhead?
    Now, 15 years ago? thats a different story.
    Erie pa has bigger, healthier steelhead than Ontario at this point in time.
    Bill h

If you call 20# sub par steelhead then you might have something.When was the last time you saw a 20# steelhead in Erie?I saw one and heard of a few others by reliable sources this year on the SR.

I would love to see a picture of a 20. I don't doubt there are more 20's swimming in LO's tribs than Erie's, but Erie puts out a higher weight average per fish. This of course is not scientific data, its just what I personally witnessed this season.
    Bill h

The 20 I saw was landed in the UFZ C & R area.No one of the three that saw it had a camera,including myself,but we measured it at 41" before it was released.Also that fish was never taken out of the water but measured to get a approximate weight.Talked to another very experienced angler that I know that saw another large one landed in same area.
    The steel are nice in Erie but a 20# fish is very rare.I landed a 37" buck a couple seasons ago that probably went 17-18#.Have n't been to Erie this year due to lack of water but expect to be there over the holidays,hope there is some rain by then.
    Jump to: