why is it time to lower limits??

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
  • Reward points: 0
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/26 18:34:42 (permalink)
" Tons of fish still. We smack em everytime we go up."

Then tell me again, how the current limits impact you and your "fishing experience". Let alone why they should, or need to be reduced.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/26 18:59:49 (permalink)
mike55
By the looks of it, you have a fly rod, Fly line, Fly reel, and a minnow on the end of your hook. We know why your here.

Please tell us what people fishing a minnow on a fly rod setup are there for?   Maybe you could elaborate on other types of setups as well.  How about a spin fisherman using a bead head nymph, what is he there for?
post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2012/11/26 19:05:04
LoganWade03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 831
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/26 19:09:30 (permalink)
A person fishing a minnow on a fly outfit is there strictly to demonstrate how big of an idiot they are.  Always cracks me up to see someone with a fly outfit and a minnow bucket strapped to their waste.  Its all about that image that I mentioned in another post.  They want to look like a fly fisherman.  The reality of it is that minnow would achieve a dead drift much easier with a spin outfit.  I have never saw this outside of erie steelhead fishing...

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/26 19:45:11 (permalink)
Though i have never fished a live minnow on a fly rod, is it really a big deal?  
Best practice for achieving a dead drift aside....maybe they are easing themselves into fly fishing, or maybe they just decided to give it a try, or maybe...who cares?  
I remember fly fishing elk a few years ago.  I couldn't buy a bite.  I decided to throw on a 3 inch rubber minnow and strip it.  Booom!  First cast landed a fish.  Was it the purest form of flyfishing?  No, but it sure was fun!  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/26 20:29:57 (permalink)
I dont wipe beforehand, but every one in awhile i get a one wiper after!  Those are great 

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/26 20:36:00 (permalink)
" but every one in awhile i get a one wiper after"

I know there is like a 1,000 to 1 chance I'm going to regret asking. But Huh? I didn't get how the original question related to the subject at hand. The answer has me completely baffled.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/26 21:48:23 (permalink)
fisherofmen376

Though i have never fished a live minnow on a fly rod, is it really a big deal?  

obviously you've never seen my flyrod casting  skillz....or lack of
I'd have more minnows slung  in the weeds than in the water  .

i think what Brother Logan is saying, some duuds would be better served with a rod better suited for their style of fishing .
It doesn't  madder to me what a duud froths the water with, but from what I see, 'bout half the duuds with flyrods could fish their junk more effectively (and get more bites doing so)  with a spin rod  ....as they  right angle drag their chuck 'n duck junk under a bObber ...

..l.T.A.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/26 21:50:27 (permalink)
Spoon....Logan had replied to my post, but now its been removed.  His question was something like: "Do you wipe your butt before you go to the bathroom?"  He was comparing it to flyfishing with a minnow-it just dont make sense.  But now that his post was removed, mine is left dangling....and i can totally see why it makes no sense!!!!

LoganWade03
Expert Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 03:16:59 (permalink)
Genie that's exactly what I'm saying.

Thanks for the clarification of the censorship fisher.

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 802
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 08:12:25 (permalink)
gymi03

I only keep what I eat and thats all part of MY fishin experience there buddy, you have yours, I'll have mine.

That is key, keep what you eat, don't let it sit in the freezer to burn up and go bad.

Got Walleye???
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9829
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 09:15:40 (permalink)
genieman77

obviously you've never seen my flyrod casting  skillz....or lack of 
I'd have more minnows slung  in the weeds than in the water  .

i think what Brother Logan is saying, some duuds would be better served with a rod better suited for their style of fishing .
It doesn't  madder to me what a duud froths the water with, but from what I see, 'bout half the duuds with flyrods could fish their junk more effectively (and get more bites doing so)  with a spin rod  ....as they  right angle drag their chuck 'n duck junk under a bObber ...

..l.T.A.

I did this once on the Yough.  Had my fly gear out, and my dad had his spinning gear.  The small mouth didn't want to have anything to do with anything in my fly box.  Dad was was getting hits or hookups on every other cast.  I couldn't take it anymore and tipped a clouser.  It takes a lot of finesse to keep from stocking the center of the river, but works rather well.  A spinning rod would have worked much better.  That is also bigger water, where a roll cast wasn't enough.  With the Erie tribs, you usually don't need much more than a roll cast.

I understand what people are saying though, and probably just an image thing.  Although, every time that I go to Erie, I have two rods in the car.  The fly rod, which I find much easier to use on the small creeks with the same roll cast over and over, rather than cast then instantly reel to keep the line tight and repeat.  I'd much rather catch fish on a fly/lure that I tied, so is usually the first thing on.  I have also had more luck on the fly throughout my time fishing the tribs, so usually is the go to.  If they are interested, it is much easier to unhook and keep fishing, than it is to keep rebaiting, getting your hands cold or skanky too.  I always pack the noodle for back up or, if I am planning to fish the lake or strictly drift eggs or jigs, or if it is below freezing and don't want to mess with the freezing eyelets as much.  If I opt for the fly rod at the car, and nothing in the box is working and have eggs in my pocket, I'm not about to hike the 2 miles that I have wondered, back to the car, just to grab my noodle.  Nothing about it is looks for me, I'll grab my noodle right on the stream.   It is all about the decision at the car, or more likely car ride there, what I think is going to land more fish to go on my smoker.  I have never fished the tribs with live minnows, but wouldn't think twice about using one on a fly rod, if nothing in my box seemed to be working.  I definitely have used gulp minnows on the fly rod, and probably a better casting device than a spinning rod, if just drifting through a creek with little or no weight or stripping like a streamer.  I have no problem clipping on a weighted bobber on the spinning gear drifting a dry fly if I happen to be in a hatch, and all I have is the spinning gear and happen to have a dry fly on my.
LoganWade03
Expert Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 09:35:05 (permalink)
Pork that is an understandable situation and there is logic behind it. What I'm talking about is the guys who stop at the bait shop to get minnows, egg sacks, singles, whatever and they don't even own a fly, let alone a fly box.

If I were out for numbers, I would undoubtedly fish a noodle, single eggs and jigs. That's how I started fishing the tribs years ago. But I didn't then and darn sure now, won't fish them on a fly rod.

Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 09:51:11 (permalink)
Not this again 

Exactly what I think when I see "william h" next to a new post. 
LipRippa97
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 37
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 09:53:53 (permalink)
Ok I was browsing through to get a consensus on the idea of a lower creel limit. I,for one, would support lowering the limit to one or two based on the wasting that was mentioned above. I will never judge any man for creeping the max as it is his right to do so as the purchase of his license and stamp give him the same opportunity as you and I. I think alot(not all) who creel and rope their 3 steelies are doing so to measure up in their weiner measuring contest and trying to take home evidence to achieve their sense of accomplishment. This does not apply to all!! I prefer to release every fish I catch as I do it for the sport and believe leaving the fish to be caught another day will enrich my experience. Maybe a young boy just getting into angling will catch that fish a few days later. Who knows? I don't think I'm alone in stating that most people make the 2 plus hour drive to Erie for the sport of a shoulder burning, reel screaming hookup. Maybe I am nieve in saying that but that's my belief. As mentioned above, it is significantly cheaper to go purchase a filet then it is to drive all the way up and the associated costs involved. I am a spin fishermen and lose 5-6 3$ lures in the rocks almost every time out. Burnt through $100 in fuel for the ram this weekend and have to pay all camp associated costs as well. I know alot of fellow pittsburgher who make the 2 hour trot on sport alone as we have 3 rivers to fish right down the street.

One point that led to me commenting on this post was the issue brought up about a man using a minnow on a fly outfit. For any of you to judge this man for that puts you in the Weiner measuring contest as well. Who has the right to look down on a man for how they fish? If it works for him then it works. I always laugh when people give me funny looks because I'm throwing panther martins and spoons in the holes. They always think the same thing...what a noob! This guy has no clue! Then I pull fish out on every other cast and the same guys are screaming down stream asking what I'm nailing them on. Always a humbling experience.

To my knowledge the record native brook trout in pa was caught on a small piece of the mans sock. Wonder how much he cares about the guys making fun of him...

A bad day fishing is better than a good of anything.

I don't always exercise my shoulders...but when I do I fish for steelhead....
CroatianSensation
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 209
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 09:56:24 (permalink)
I think it is TIME to lower the limits on posting on the same topics over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over AGAIN!!!!!!

DUMB!

"Nothing Nails Fish Like a Hammer!!"
                   www.hammerlures.com
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 11:03:29 (permalink)
LoganWade03
A person fishing a minnow on a fly outfit is there strictly to demonstrate how big of an idiot they are.  Always cracks me up to see someone with a fly outfit and a minnow bucket strapped to their waste.  Its all about that image that I mentioned in another post.  They want to look like a fly fisherman.  The reality of it is that minnow would achieve a dead drift much easier with a spin outfit.  I have never saw this outside of erie steelhead fishing...

Logan, Thanks for showing us all how shallow you are.  Fishing appears to be a lot about image for you, that's unfortunate.  I use this type of setup almost exclusively and it has nothing to do with image.  I could care less what anyone thinks, and usually catch more fish than 90% of the anglers around me.  I do it because I like the manual process of stripping the line in by hand and the process of casting/flipping the fly line, it makes me feel physically more connected to the entire fishing process.

I also like the way fish feel fighting them on my fly rod, it has a much shorter handle and is lighter in weight than any noodle rod of the same length that I've ever tried.   Majority of the time I'm not even dead drifting;  I thread my minnow onto the line with a needle and push the shank of the hook up in it's stomach.  Then work the minnow by actively stripping my line and lightly twitching the tip of the rod, this creates a flashy spin to the minnow and triggers very aggressive bites even from fish that have been walked all over in low clear water. 

I use this method for pellet heads as well, and was doing it for them on small streams all over notheastern/central PA long before I ever moved to western pa or made a trip to the Erie tribs.  It doesn't work for large streams/rivers where you have to cast very far or create a whip in the line that will cause the hook to cut through the minnow.  Only small streams and Erie tribs where you can mainly roll cast and just flip your line upstream.  To each their own I guess, I say fish with a setup that you feel comfortable and confident with nothing more and nothing less. 
post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2012/11/27 11:23:30
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 11:17:48 (permalink)
Chriswalker97
Then I pull fish out on every other cast and the same guys are screaming down stream asking what I'm nailing them on. Always a humbling experience.

No doubt, nothing like walking up to a fly fisherman elitest/purist using a piece of yarn under a big float who says they haven't had a bite in over an hour or two.  Then proceed to hook up multiple times in a row with my minnow / fly rod setup.  It usually ends up in the fly fisherman asking what I'm using, and then walking downstream in disgust after the second or third hook up. 

Chriswalker97
To my knowledge the record native brook trout in pa was caught on a small piece of the mans sock. Wonder how much he cares about the guys making fun of him...

Yep I was told by a fish warden in Tylersville that he was noticing trout raising for maggots floating downstream, coming from a dead deer upstream laying part in the water.  He tore of a piece of his white sock to imitate the maggots, and caught the state record brook trout out of fishing creek right downstream from the hatchery.
gymi03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 11:31:03 (permalink)
MMMMM....fresh steel 

LipRippa97
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 37
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 12:10:45 (permalink)
Exactly about the native brook. Nothing like a little creativity and thinking outside the box to land the record. Which supports my point that whatever set up makes you confident and comfortable should not be looked down on, especially where successful. I guess I just never knew there was a right or wrong way to catch a fish outside of snagging or netting. I personally hate fishing with live bait as I prefer to stay active in my presentation. That makes me love spinning. But make no mistake...I carry minnows with me into every fishery as a plan b when my lures are ineffective. I've always subscribed to the theory of if they ain't hitting minnows, they ain't hitting anything. Now there are expert fly fisherman who manipulate fish to strike even in times of little interest but I will humbly say I am not one if them. My hat goes off though. I bet center pin fishermen were laughed at in the beginning as well...and that is starting to become a trend. If I were to hit the Erie tribe five years in a row with a lure that the fish found irresistible and yielded huge numbers of fish in all conditions, I would truly hope that by the 6th year atleast 30% of my fellow anglers would be using that same lure. If they aren't, shame on them...funny how they always ask what you are nailing them on though. Thus previous statement was hypothetical, I don't have to magic lure...many very good ones, but not the showstopper. Anyone who likes to spin can pm me for some useful lure tips though, I have found quite a few that many would call unorthodox or not proper

A bad day fishing is better than a good of anything.

I don't always exercise my shoulders...but when I do I fish for steelhead....
LoganWade03
Expert Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 12:42:46 (permalink)
Steelslayer, or should I call you john madden? Thanks for the play by play. I'm happy you find enjoyment in complicating things.

I'm willing to bet that yourself and Chris have never once had any of the mentioned situations situations come true with a fly fisherman who knows what they are doing.

FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2080
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 12:46:52 (permalink)
"a fly fisherman that knows what they're doing" that's a rarity in Erie for sure.
LoganWade03
Expert Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 12:47:44 (permalink)
Throwing panther martins at spoons in Erie trickles...south mouth pro!

Seems to me we have some bait fishing elitists, have fun fingering that skeink

mike55
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 13:03:39 (permalink)
LOL, "big piece of yarn under a float" 

And you wonder why they were not catching a lot?
Im sure your 10 fish day had you all excited.

I fly fish and we absolutely pound them. Come along on a trip with us. We will show you how to catch fish.... as well as release them.

Fishinguy... I agree with your comment 100 percent, but I assure you the ones that do know what they are doing can have hook ups every drift for the entire day. We have had many 100 fish days between 4 or so of us.

Not really worth keeping one when your pounding fish like that. The excitement of fishing takes over and you forget about your own needs.  Maybe this is the problem for some of you. You can only catch so many fish putting 3 minnows on a treble hook. Im sure each Minnow is for each fish your going to keep. Why not get it done right off the bat? You know.. You need 3 hooks all barbed to land a fish these days.

LOL LoganWade.. Throwing panther martins at spoons in Erie trickles...south mouth pro!

Love it.
post edited by mike55 - 2012/11/27 13:07:59
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 13:15:25 (permalink)
CroatianSensation

I think it is TIME to lower the limits on posting on the same topics

DUMB!

NO!!

this place has gotten BORING in the last few years
This thread has gone THREE pages ....
Sometimes you have walk thru the hole to stir up the feesh, man...and get 'em biting ....

..L.T.A.
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 13:36:20 (permalink)
I didn't read any of this thread...

But I think the limit should be 5.  Everywhere else for stupid easy to catch dumb trout is, why not Erie.  They all deserve to be killed.

The post I did read by accident when I was scrolling was 5milepete.  He has the right idea....seeing more people getting skunked than keeping.

I think most people need to worry about catching the fish that are there before you complain about fish not being there from people taking them.  Anyone who knows how to steelhead fish effectively realizes that 90% of people are simply in the way. 

slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 13:49:04 (permalink)
I think that 3 is a perfect number. Three fish make six meals. If I get my limit four times, that 24 meals. That's plenty. Anything beyond that gets released. I only take what I can/will eat and I like to do it without anyone giving me lip about it. Almost all fishermen are conservationists. We love nature. We don't want to destroy the fishery, but if we want to enjoy the bounty by eating some fish, there should not be a problem. I just get sick of this "better than you" attitude.

I've seen guys with spinning outfits outfish flyfishermen 5:1 and I've seen the opposite too. It isn't about what kind of rod it is; it is about what kind of person is holding the rod. We're all after the same thing. No need to assert superiority over each other. No one is EVER going to convince a C&R guy to start keeping them, nor a whack 'em & stack 'em guy to release them all. We will each do what we want and tell the other guys to mind their own business right? So why argue? Just fish.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 13:57:52 (permalink)
mike55

You do realize that these fish are pretty special right. There are two places on our side of the country you can steelhead fish and erie happens to be one of them. ...

i still have no idea what this strange statement means..

ROCKHARD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 877
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 14:10:45 (permalink)
LOWERING LIMITS, is not a way to fill the streams with more fish,,,experiance tells me fish are there, huge numbers actually,,, its finding them...   fish are on the move constantly,because your favorite hole isnt full doesnt mean the fish arent in the water elsewhere,,,,they do spread out as conditions vary day to day, i myself am a c&r man,plus i do keep my share of fish to eat,,,30 #s of steel,no problem,gone in one party cookout, i dont keep everyday i fish,but will and do when a holiday comes around,,,, as far as what or how someone fishes,no ones concern but his own,who says you are normal,,,, i watched a man a few yrs ago take a button he found along walnut,put on hook,wrap hook with aluminum foil and proceed to land fish,,,was he strange,maybe but it worked,,,, as for yarn on a hook,,,all time material for catching fish,outright

WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE,, SOME MEN YOU JUST CANT REACH
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 14:14:31 (permalink)
mike55
I fly fish and we absolutely pound them. Come along on a trip with us. We will show you how to catch fish.... as well as release them.

Fishinguy... I agree with your comment 100 percent, but I assure you the ones that do know what they are doing can have hook ups every drift for the entire day. We have had many 100 fish days between 4 or so of us.

Hmm, I would have never guessed you do so well the way you complain about others keeping a fish.   I guess you would rather other people sacrifice their enjoyment of cooking and eating a fish they caught themselves, so that you can have a 150 fish day instead of only a 100 fish day? 

For some of us fishing is about more than just catching.  Maybe someday you'll grow up, put on your big boy pants, and realize this.  There's a great fishing quote from a guy named Henry David Thoreau;  I think you Mike are one of the "Many men" he refers to.
post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2012/11/27 14:17:33
CroatianSensation
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 209
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 14:24:43 (permalink)
 think that 3 is a perfect number. Three fish make six meals. If I get my limit four times, that 24 meals. That's plenty. Anything beyond that gets released. I only take what I can/will eat and I like to do it without anyone giving me lip about it. Almost all fishermen are conservationists. We love nature. We don't want to destroy the fishery, but if we want to enjoy the bounty by eating some fish, there should not be a problem. I just get sick of this "better than you" attitude.

Exactly!  The limit is fine where it is....these extremist/fanatics are delusional and NOTHING can cure their tunnel vision.   Those who have figured out a way to consistantly catch fish, don't keep all that many anyway; and those who want to fill their freezers typically need the "glory" days to return to be able to catch any fish.  Therefore I'm not seeing that many fish being taken from the system; hence NO problems at all....Actually, the problem I see is stocking WAY too many....Cut stocking in half and use the proceeds to build some quality fish cleaning stations, ramp renovations and clean facilities at lake accesses and state parks!!

"Nothing Nails Fish Like a Hammer!!"
                   www.hammerlures.com
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: