Allegheny River in Venango County

Author
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2217
  • Reward points: 0
2012/08/28 08:17:10 (permalink)

Allegheny River in Venango County

Hi yinz, hows it fishin right now?  Im headed up there wednesday near Kennerdel and wondered if anyone's been doing any good.  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

19 Replies Related Threads

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3150
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/08/28 20:08:20 (permalink)
    been slaying them on live bait as always
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/08/28 23:35:38 (permalink)
    Cool thanks guys hopefully ill have a good update.  

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/08/29 21:18:09 (permalink)
    The floating grass is absolutely miserable right now. We need a day or two of rain to bring the river way up and wash out the grass.

Other than that, fishing has been pretty good.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/08/30 15:09:30 (permalink)
    Holy crap you are right-that grass was HORRIBLE!!!  Ive never seen it that bad anywhere ever.  Every cast filled with crap.
    But we still caught some feesh.  A couple nice smallies on bait and a few on jigs too.  I was working my favorite spot underneath some huge boulders in the morning when the biggest walleye ive ever seen shot out to grab my jig.  I watched him open his huge mouth, i set the hook, and...missed.  I was shaking for 10 minutes afterward!  I can't believe i missed that fish-it would have been truly EPIC-just like the 2017 steelhead run will be ;)
    Anyhow, a beautiful day in my old family stomping grounds-i love the Alleg.  river in Kennerdel.  

Egghead
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/08/30 15:11:50 (permalink)
    Where does all that floating crap come from...  I think it's the worst I've seen since... maybe ever.

ready2fish

The floating grass is absolutely miserable right now. We need a day or two of rain to bring the river way up and wash out the grass.

Other than that, fishing has been pretty good.

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
    fiftydollar
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/02 05:16:33 (permalink)
    So is the problem that the water has been so clear this year that it is growing even more than usual?  My experience has been that the grass breaking loose and floating downriver was worse after a rain--especially on the French Creek side.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/02 05:41:51 (permalink)
    The river has been low and clear nearly all Spring and Summer, so yea, the river grass has grown thicker than normal. It has on French Creek as well. Actually, it's thicker, and has grown in more places, than I have ever seen. Numerous things start the grass breaking loose, but the main thing is a drop in water temperature this time of year causing die off to begin, and dead grass to break loose.
    It's worse after a rain, one that actually raises the water level, because the floating grass will gather in slow pockets and eddies when water level is low. The rising water causes it to move out and wash down.
    We actually need a deluge to wash the river out and I was hoping for the remnants of Hurrican Isaac to wash  us out, but sadly it looks as if that probably won't happen.
    If you think the grass makes fishing miserable, try running a jet drive outboard in it! You have to stop and clean the jet out constantly!

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/02 10:33:27 (permalink)
    i cannot imagine trying to run a boat through that crap right now.  

Egghead
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/02 14:13:11 (permalink)
    Yeah, I ran my jet last night... not fun.  And the fishing is tough also... not sure what lures to use other than short casts with "weedless" soft plastics.

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/02 22:15:38 (permalink)
    That grass of one of two things I don't miss about selling my jet, the constant clearing of grass.  (cost of gas is the other)  The grass on French Creek is terrible this year.  Lost of fish in the creek but unless they are in the deeper holes, hence less grass, they're hard to find.  Would be nice if the rain this week brings the water level up.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/04 18:16:21 (permalink)
    Smashed the bass last night wet wading all within knee deep water and all within the City of Franklin limits. Lots of 14-15" and biggest was 17.5" 

Very healthy fish 
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/06 20:13:37 (permalink)
    They have been biting good, I also fished Monday. Still hoping for a wash out before the FOP Tournament on Sept. 16th, but if that doesn't happen, biting the way they are now would be fine with me.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/12 19:16:29 (permalink)
    Very odd story...I fish this section alot...might have to pack the M&P next trip 

RIVER OTTER ATTACK PROMPTS WARNING FROM GAME COMMISSION

FRANKLIN, Venango County – A Pennsylvania Game Commission Wildlife Conservation Officer (WCO) is investigating the case of a river otter attacking an angler around 2 p.m. on Sept. 11, at the junction of French Creek and the Allegheny River, just off Ninth Street, adjacent to the Riverfront Park in Franklin, Venango County.

Game Commission WCO Ronda Bimber is urging the public to notify her through the agency’s Northwest Region Office with any information about the situation. Calls can be placed to the Northwest Region office at 814-432-3187.

“This area is frequently used by the public, so we are encouraging park users to look out for any suspicious activity by river otters,” said WCO Bimber, who will be checking the area today. “At this point, it is not clear what initiated the attack.”

According to WCO Bimber, a 27-year-old Franklin man was wet wading and observed a river otter on the bike trail side of the river. 

“The individual fishes the area often and said he didn’t find the presence of a river otter to be unusual,” WCO Bimber said. “He heard the otter enter the water and watched it swim at a diagonal to his position. The otter then turned and swam directly toward him. He made noise and slapped the water with his fishing rod unsuccessfully. The otter dove and proceeded to bite and scratch the victim.

“The angler sustained five bites to the leg and one on his big toe, along with numerous scratches to his legs. The incident ended when he was able to kick the otter in the head.”

Following the attack, the angler got out of the water to seek medical attention. As he left the water, he lost sight of the otter. He sought medical attention.

snydje
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/13 07:28:08 (permalink)
    Rabid beaver in the Philly area, porcupines that attack, and now blood thirsty otters. Where are all of those wolves and mountain lions the Game Commission stocked that are supposed to keep the animals in check??
    opsman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 265
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/13 07:35:46 (permalink)
    Wow, he otter be more careful next time.  Seriously, though, I have fished that stretch of the river for years, especially before they put the new bridge in and screwed up the  currents.  Always had deer and critters come down to the shore while I was out wading. 
    The most frustrating was the time I left most of my soft shell crabs in a box on the shore.  While I was in chest deep water I watched a family of racoons come down and make short work of them.
    The scariest was the time I was fishing the river and it was pretty stained.  Had a couple of smallmouths on my stringer when something tried to rip the stringer off my belt  Seems a snapping turtle thought I was providing him with  breakfast that day.  A short battle ensued which left the turtle heading for deeper water and me for a change of pants.  You  never know what you will encounter!
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/13 19:29:55 (permalink)
    Ya, know.........just above the confluence of French Creek and the Allegheny River, the street that parallels French is named Otter St.

Guess it's appropriately named.

smally hunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/09/13 21:26:00 (permalink)
    been averaging 10+ runs a night on cats .... on like 3-4 landed though but thats what happens when using 6 lb test lol ... dont take any real good bait with me cuz i dont wanna be set up for the heartbreak ... gonna be hitting it real hard for eyes soon from shore ... should be getting close to being good with these cold nights

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/10/09 22:17:54 (permalink)
    Lots of weeds still in the river..crushed it again this afternoon and evening. 

basshole1990
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    Re:Allegheny River in Venango County 2012/10/12 17:07:36 (permalink)
    Anybody getting northerns?

Bigger is better.
    Jump to: