wilhelm hunting question...

Author
steelhead1994
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 154
  • Reward points: 0
2012/08/28 00:35:52 (permalink)

wilhelm hunting question...

ok... so i know this is a fishing site but i figured alot of guys that fish, hunt right?? so i goose gunt alot on private property, but i go fishing in the stumps all the time at wilhelm in my yak and theres always a ton of geese there... so im gonna duke out my kayak in camo and everything and go for it on saturday... anyways my question is about the propagation area pertty close to the stumps, just on the other side of the road...for those of u who dont know what that is it just means no hunting, fishing, or entering at all... so here it is, if u were hunting and you shoot a goose but it dosent drop right away it flops over the line into the propogation area. what do u do? do u go get it? or do u leave it there? i know what i would do. just looking for some opinions :)

11 Replies Related Threads

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:wilhelm hunting question... 2012/08/28 07:36:46 (permalink)
    You hope the WCO is close by to get it for you, if not you better leave it there. Do the smart thing and stay off the wire. If your down in the stumps you should have no problems with the prop area.
    Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re:wilhelm hunting question... 2012/08/28 10:49:05 (permalink)
    It's illegal to enter "any propogation area" for any reason. For that reason it doesn't pay to hunt waterfowl close to those areas. Remember waterfowl regulations fall under Federal Laws be carefull in your thinking.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    Re:wilhelm hunting question... 2012/08/28 10:59:26 (permalink)
    If you still plan on hunting that close to the line, I'd make sure I had the cell phone numbers for the local GW and DCNR ranger for that area pre-programmed into your cell phone, as well as the regional PGC office #, and if your scenario does happen, make a call to them and follow their directions.  If it were me, I'd try to not hunt that close to the line but even if you are a good distance away, things can happen.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re:wilhelm hunting question... 2012/08/28 11:18:12 (permalink)
     How are you planning on hunting?  Working birds to decoys on the water or pass shooting/sky busting at high flying geese going to and from the prop area?

If you're going there to hunt on the line with the intentions of pass shooting at high geese, don't do it.  Might be legal but pretty unethical knowing that any number of the birds you shoot, even if you stone them, are going to fall into the prop area.  Not to mention there's nothing worse than a sky buster on public land 

If you're gonna set up on the line, work geese into decoys and shoot 'em in the face when their feet are locked then you should have no problems and nothing to worry about.  Quick follow up shots when they hit the water and so much as twitch.  

Cripples happen sometimes.  Even to the best shooters.  Put yourself in a situation and use methods that lessen the likelihood of birds going into the prop.  

post edited by rsquared - 2012/08/28 11:35:34
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re:wilhelm hunting question... 2012/08/28 13:38:59 (permalink)
    I hunted across from goose management in linesville dropped one cross the rd bout 20 yards from the parking lot and the warden said " o well" a excuse me deek its my job to make my best attempt at retrieving game is it really gona hurt anything ,I left it lay and saved the fine

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:wilhelm hunting question... 2012/08/29 20:05:25 (permalink)
    I agree with everyone, don't do it. I had a similar experience with a deer once. I shot one in Archery season and it dropped dead on posted property. We (my buddy & me) asked the land owner for permission to get it, and he denied us permission.  I told him I can do it because the regs said, we had to make every effort to retrieve down game. We left and accepted the lose. Well, you know what happened? The landowner claimed the deer for his self. I called the game warden and explained to him, and he said, "No trespassing means, no trespassing." There wasn't nothing I could do.
    bubbaman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:wilhelm hunting question... 2012/08/31 10:55:55 (permalink)
    just back off the wire, you'll get just as many shots and you won't have everyone else calling you every name they can think of
    spechunter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:wilhelm hunting question... 2012/09/04 12:08:28 (permalink)
    Let me tell you a story what happen to me about 20yrs ago i dropped a duck in the channel in Geneva by the time i got in my canoe and paddled Down to it the wind had blown it under the wire within arms reach so i never entered the wire but just reached in and picked it up. I then paddled out at the end of the day when i was leaving the game commission was there checking people when they were leaving for.lead shot. A guy that was coming out told the officer that i reached in and got a bird from the inside of the wire. So i explained what I did he said it does not matter if any part of a bird enters that wire you are to leave it. I explained about making all reasonable effort to retrieve down. game he said it does not matter and find me $100 on someones word so I will never even hunt near those wires again. And that day I was at least 75yards back. So do what you want your license,gun and money at stake today
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    Re:wilhelm hunting question... 2012/09/04 16:54:50 (permalink)
    admiting to that was your mistake spechunter... lol
    kristmas725
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re:wilhelm hunting question... 2012/09/04 18:49:58 (permalink)
    This is also my reply in your other post. Just not sure which one will b seen more so ill post it here too

" Thats actually were i goose hunt 95+% of the time. The warden that patrols that area, WCO Chaybin, will tell u u can go right up to the line and cast in with a fishing pole to retrieve it but otherwise no entrance. Ive gotten pretty good about knowing the latest possible shot i can take and still b bale to get out to the line, if necessary, and still b able to cast to it and retrieve it. Just if ur using a fishing pole for retrieving u NEED ur fishing license. Ive had many birds aid in my learning of wen to stop shooting and if theyre coming out of the prop area wen i can safely start shooting. Ive used a fishin pole with 50lb braid and a 3/8 oz and a turtle hook to much success wading out as far as i can and this yr i bought a kayak so i can float out to the line and can cast ro sum of the ones that we could never retrieve before. Still very conscious of were they land. Luckily saturday only one landed in the prop but it was only about 10u ft in so it was an easy retrieve. Hope this helps :)"
    steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re:wilhelm hunting question... 2012/09/05 00:27:07 (permalink)
    haha ya i was there saturday and the guy borrowed my yak to go and get it
    Jump to: