This is what happens when you leave your fishing line in the water or on the shoreline

Author
joebaker79
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 805
  • Reward points: 0
2012/07/15 15:39:44 (permalink)

This is what happens when you leave your fishing line in the water or on the shoreline

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4416066246713.184443.1440563397&type=1&l=0bb593a490
Public gallery.  This goose was swimming using 1 leg it had free, in circles, and pretty much almost drowning itself, because it had nearly 100 yards of fishing line or what amounted to a spools worth wrapped around its other leg, both wings, and its neck.  All of those extremities were pinned to its body.  Without intervening it most certainly would have died, and you can bet thousands of animals die every year from this without anyone seeing it.  A net was used to capture the bird.  Pliers and a knife were used to get the line off.  It stood up when freed, flapped it's wings, and walked away ready to fly.  It appeared to have no lasting injuries and was not lame in anyway.  I'd love to tell everyone I know fishermen are the best people on Earth, but sadly, we are far from it.  Whether it was a scumbag who threw his line on the ground or an accident, I hope this doesn't turn into a fly fishing vs spin fishing debate, because it's not.  It's a FISHING problem, and it's all of ours to own even if we do not litter as others do.   Even if anyone has ever accidentally lost a bunch of line in the water....be aware of the consequences of our actions and our sport.  I shutter to think of the harm all of our other lures and tackle do to fish and wildlife. 

7 Replies Related Threads

stevepf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    Re:This is what happens when you leave your fishing line in the water or on the shoreline 2012/07/15 16:42:08 (permalink)
    I remember a pic in PA Angler years ago of a little bird hanging form a tree all tangled up in a ball of line.Great job saving the Goose.

I'm gonna fish more and work less.
    Have A Crappie Day
    fishinvic
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re:This is what happens when you leave your fishing line in the water or on the shoreline 2012/07/16 02:01:25 (permalink)
    joebaker79 you are a good man, I have seen alot of line on the banks and have tought my grandkids to pick it up and take it home and throw it away. Now they pick up everything thay find and I go home with a truck load of sheeet.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    Re:This is what happens when you leave your fishing line in the water or on the shoreline 2012/07/16 07:06:46 (permalink)
    didya eat it?

SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:This is what happens when you leave your fishing line in the water or on the shoreline 2012/07/16 21:11:39 (permalink)
    Good Job with the release, I also take a bag along and pick up the garbage. I used to just cram it into my pockets, but now I take a grocery bag with me.  I've reeled in peoples line many times.

I try to teach my great nephews to do the same, but the sad thing is, every time we go out, we get more and more garbage.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re:This is what happens when you leave your fishing line in the water or on the shoreline 2012/07/17 11:45:42 (permalink)
    Way to go Joe!I have seen this a couple times and did free a song bird that was tangled in line.If I have a need to discard line I cut it into very short pieces or tie it into a knot and carry it out.
    A little off topic....my Boxer dog sliced her leg open just above her left foot 5 weeks ago on a broken whiskey bottle some slob left along the creek bank.I would have loved to shove that bottle up his you know what.
    OriginalWacky
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:This is what happens when you leave your fishing line in the water or on the shoreline 2012/07/18 15:14:47 (permalink)
    I've picked up line somebody else has left a few times. As somebody fairly new to fishing in the Erie area, I go by the lessons my Dad taught me way back when, and leave the area the same or better than when I got there. I keep nail clippers in my pocket for cutting line if I need to, smaller than scissors so very easy to carry. Plus if we have to cut it for any reason, we save it and use it to make our own leaders to have on hand.

Great job rescuing the goose.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re:This is what happens when you leave your fishing line in the water or on the shoreline 2012/07/19 16:01:37 (permalink)
    topdog what is that and how did it get on the end of that line?
    Jump to: