French Creek Smallies

Author
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
  • Reward points: 0
2012/07/02 14:15:52 (permalink)

French Creek Smallies

So this weekend I was up in the area for the first time in a while.  Instead of fishing my normal spots, I decided to put some time into French Creek, which I haven't really done much of.  I caught a few bass, 3 rock bass, and got my first ever walleye out of French.  I know this creek/river is supposed to be one of the best smallmouth streams in the area, but I haven't really been getting into any numbers of fish, just a few here and there.  Don't know if I'm fishing the wrong stretches, or the conditions weren't right(water was pretty low), or if only a couple fish here and there is the norm, although I have heard of people catching good numbers there. Just want to know what everyone elses success rates are there. 

The first spot was up in Saegertown.  Got 2 smallies(1 around 11in and the other was tiny), 2 rock bass, and the walleye. 

The second spot was the PFBC access by Wood**** Cr.  Didn't really find any holding water, except for where the creek came in.  Didn't get anything there.

The next spot was in Meadville.  Got a handful of river chubs, 2 shiners, and another rock bass. 

The last spot of the day was Wilsons chutes.  Ended up getting three smallmouths here.  All kinda small, but they're fish.  Even had a nicer bass chase one of my smaller ones. 

Before this weekend I have only fished Shaws Landing and Cochranton(have access there).  Shaws landing isn't really my type of water for bass, I'm more of the faster water wading guys.  I've caught a bunch in Cochranton(and nice ones at that), but again no real numbers, maybe one or two an outing if I put maybe 2 hours into it.

No need to give away any honey holes, but generally, what are the better stretches for smallmouths?  I know I'm still learning the river, but I've been using the same tactics(fly and spin) that I use elsewhere. Haven't tried live bait yet though, just artificials. What about closer to Franklin? I always drive the lower creek on my way out to different trout streams.  Right now I don't have a smaller boat for French(but might eventually get one), so I'm limited to shore/wade fishing.  Going to be back up there probably towards the end of the month and might scout out some other sections.  Still had an awesome time fishing as always.  Hope you enjoy the pics.

post edited by troutguy - 2012/07/02 14:18:58

5 Replies Related Threads

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:French Creek Smallies 2012/07/02 17:07:07 (permalink)
    only thing I'll mention is live bait is the way to go..
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:French Creek Smallies 2012/07/02 17:20:58 (permalink)
    I figured that.  But I use artificials(different flies/lures) elsewhere and have no problem getting into fish.  Heck I even outfished my brother a bunch of times, me using flies him using bait. Maybe the fish at French are used to seeing so many different lures?
    post edited by troutguy - 2012/07/02 17:22:12
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    Re:French Creek Smallies 2012/07/02 18:13:46 (permalink)
    No...French is chock full of forage 
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:French Creek Smallies 2012/07/02 18:49:01 (permalink)
    Well, I guess that makes sense.  The one spot where I was getting into the chubs and shiners, there were also tons of other minnows swimmin around.  Is the crayfish population there high too?  I haven't really seen any, but I haven't looked real hard either.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    Re:French Creek Smallies 2012/07/03 17:37:58 (permalink)
    Well, one of the ones I caught today near Utica had a crayfish down in its gullet..
    Jump to: