crazy unexpected fish

Author
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
  • Reward points: 0
2012/05/29 12:37:33 (permalink)

crazy unexpected fish

Were was the strangest place youv fished and Wat was the strangest unexpected catch you have caught

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky

21 Replies Related Threads

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/29 14:34:10 (permalink)
    I was out trailriding one day on my fourwheeler with a few friends. Way back in the woods we found a beaver pond. There was no evidence of human visitation here. LOL! I mean it was waaaaayyyy back in the woods. Many of the trails we followed were not fourwheeler trails at all, but wide open game trails and old, grown over logging roads. Anyway, this beaver pond was of impressive size. I used  to carry a telescopic fishing pole with me when I went on these rides. Anyway, I couldn't resist tossing in to see what was there. I really didn't expect to catch anything. Anyway, I didn't have any bait so I started skirting the water looking for a frog. I caught a little frog and hooked it through the lips. It tossed it out and watched it swim across the pond. About a foot before it hit the other side, the water exploded. I had no idea what I had on. It felt like a log. It wouldn't move. I could feel something alive on the line, but I couldn't get it off the bottom. I figured that it had wrapped itself around a log. I gave it some slack to see if it would untangle itself and suddenly my line started moving. I started to reel again and once again, it stopped. This continued for what felt  like hours. Eventually, I got it to the bank. I looked down into the muddy water and couldn't see much. I was going to stick my hand in there to see what I had. Something warned me not to. Glad I didn't. A giant reptilian head broke the surface and peered at me with depthless, cold eyes, full of contempt and anger. It was a snapping turtle. I know the head of that thing was as big as my fist. I never got to see the rest of the turtle because it sank out of sight and took off full-tilt, breaking my line in the process. So, the strangest place I ever fished is also where I hooked one of the strangest things I've ever caught.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 447
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/29 15:20:28 (permalink)
    Once hepled Fisherlady reel in a chimney block down on the Rappahannock River...we were going for Blue Cats though!

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    XtopwaterkingX
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/29 19:01:43 (permalink)
    Used to catch mud cats in a sewer grate haha. I was in 5th grade or so waiting for my school bus on the corner of my street an there was a sewer grate there. sometimes there would be lil cats in there so i would bring some line an a hook an bread, an at least 1 time greenbeans, an catch em b4 the bus came.
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/29 19:40:58 (permalink)
    I also caught a nice 25 pound snapper once bass fishing wit a rubber worm I couldn't believe it that was proly my most crazy fishing experience he got ate lol but catching that small northern last weekend at the point of my kayak was pretty sick to

SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/29 20:46:17 (permalink)
    I caught a sea gull, a duck, and a mud puppy, all by accident of course.
    Both the sea gull and the diving duck was caught when I casted out a Minnie and they went after it, and the mud puppy was caught with worms off the bottom.
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/29 22:47:26 (permalink)
    I caught a bullfrog while fishing topwater frogs for bass haha... And my girlfriend caught a 14" hellbender in Erie fishing for perch.
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/29 23:32:36 (permalink)
    Dad and i used to fish some ponds with plastic frogs for bullfrogs lol made a great dinner and really easy to catch
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/30 00:43:51 (permalink)
    No particularly unusual spots, but have caught bats, snakes, turtles, and a seagull. the bats frak me out. Hate when you grab a wad of weeds on your line, and it squeaks at you

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/30 01:37:36 (permalink)
    I forgot all about the mallard I caught and a huge 6 foot water snake when I was about 10 on a Minnie my dad was upset to say the least ( he wouldn't go near a million dollars if there was a snake beside it ) lol and a bat once and a bunch of frogs never thought to target them that way the snake was most memorable because I say dad I caught a snake all excited and its big he thought it was a gardener until I pulled that bad boy up out the water he was jacked bla bla bla what the beck you doing messing wit that but not in those words haha priceless I still tease him wit snakes its hilarious

Triple B
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/30 13:25:30 (permalink)
    Looong time ago when I was in college my Dad met me to fish Red Bank Creek fly section near Brookville.  Don't remember the fly but in a fairly open area as I moved my rod forward from short backcast it stalled.  Not only stalled but hung in the air. I'd managed to hook a hummingbird and for a short while he was actually able to keep my line aloft. Only lasted for a short time before he came down. We released him and he flew away apparently unharmed. Over 25 years ago and every once in a while it still pops up in conversation. 
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/30 15:21:43 (permalink)
    I caught a duck on corn once, nearly caught a few more on bread. I've also caught bullfrogs on topwater frogs, I've seen people using Joe flies dangled right in front of a bull frog to catch em too.. My wife caught a softshell turtle on half a blugill w a shell about 20" across, that thing was mean! Also a few water snakes in my minnow trap from time to time.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/31 12:58:23 (permalink)
    Caught a hellbender through the ice on the Clarion river when I was a kid, also caught a used condom once  didn't fight much though...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/31 14:58:52 (permalink)
    caught a bat fly fishing at night on wolf creek
    a loon trout fishing in stoney creek
    a beaver while salmon fishing up in NY and
    about 10 years ago some dude who stepped into coolspring creek in flood water only to invert and go downstream legs flailing away as he tried to turn over...i must admit i snagged him though

i used to catch turtles for a local resturant back in mercer as a kid so snappers are kind of a given for me
    fishinpreacher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/31 16:40:06 (permalink)
    fishing Donegal lake last summer thought I snagged a big weed ball but it kept feeling like it was pulling back real slow. Eventually pulled it up to the side of the boat and this guy was on the end of my line.

Wanted to try to get my lure back, but decided I like my hand more than I liked that lure.
    gymi03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/31 18:00:01 (permalink)
    Never did catch him but I had a duck chase my silver/blue Kastmaster about a half dozen times one day at Justice Lake. I was trout fishing on the dam and the little duck would dive underwater everytime he saw where the lure plopped in the water. He drove me nuts I had to wait till he wasnt watching so I could cast....lol. I did even manage a few nice trout that day.

The weirdest thing I ever caught was a mudpuppy/hellbender in French Creek one day using a crawler **** thing was probably 20 inches long. I was just a kid and had NO idea these things even existed in the creek, Yep I was scared 
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1160
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/31 19:08:36 (permalink)
    Managed to catch myself while smallie fishing on French Creek last year.  Buried a treble hook in the pinky on my left hand.  My buddy had to walk away from me as I swore, laughed insanely  , and shoved it the rest of the way through so I could cut the barbed end off.  Its amazing how hard it is to push a hook through 1/4" of solid flesh.  Only after the fact did I read anything on proper removal of a hook.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/05/31 23:24:57 (permalink)
    Couple of weeks ago I caught a boat, or rather a jacket that was IN a boat that got a little too far inside my casting range.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2012/05/31 23:26:29

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/06/01 12:43:28 (permalink)
    i didn't land him but i did hook a guy up on the salmon river this year that insisted on wading out to the exact spot i had been fishing for a couple hours....i asked him nicely to move....he didn't, i kept fishing, felt something move and set the hook into his thigh

i also hooked my own ear with a size 2 fly, on a windy day....not a good way to get a pierced ear
    Jokerball101
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 388
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/06/01 14:36:37 (permalink)
    Caught a 16oz cottage cheese container in 16 fow a few weeks ago at pymy If anyone lost please contact me. I kept it in case anyone came forward....Please provide accurate description.

Thanks, Joker
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/06/04 11:33:03 (permalink)
    Seagull was the most crazy non fish animal I've caught with a rod.

Strangest place to fish was in a swiming pool at a sportsmans show.

strangest fish catch or unexpected catch was a red fin pickerel from Geneva swamps. It wasn't a baby pike either. I sent a pic to the PFBC to confirm. Also a quillkback carpsucker from the Beaver River. They are not super rare, but I've never seen one prior to catching it.

My wife caught a snake on a minnow & I've had crayfish hold onto my bait all the way up, same with blue crabs in the ocean. 

smokey4sure
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re:crazy unexpected fish 2012/06/04 12:06:17 (permalink)
    Danforth anchor in PI Bay, old metal fishing rod off point, and 7 year old son caught 10 inch rainbow this past Saturday in front of East Ave.  Trout may not be that uncommon but I have never caught one in the lake or bay of that size. 
    Jump to: