Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dank
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points: 0
2012/05/03 21:12:51 (permalink)

bay smallmouth activity

anyone heard if the smallmouth are hittin good in the bay yet?

38 Replies Related Threads

fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/04 11:06:49 (permalink)
    Yes
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/04 12:17:32 (permalink)
    Wow....no one talking.

The fish are there, but were not the most active through the cold spell and changing weather. As of yesterday, we caught a bunch (no huge fish) directly by the inlet to the bay. X-raps and tubes in 20ish feet of water. The stink hole did not produce for us as expected, but we followed the shoreline up on the park side and stayed on the drop off (when you are in 3-5 FOW by the shore, travel out until you hit the drop). Fish the drop with Shad-raps, X-raps, huskies.....ect. Large shiners on the drop work well as well. If that does not produce, you can head to the city side and fish the rocks around the yacht club. You will probably pick up some LM as well. It is around 20 foot deep in that area, just watch the traffic in and out of the club....they will run you over in a small boat.

We picked up some LM in horseshoe pond, and as always, the area that is electric only (back in the channel to misery bay) is always a sure thing. This is also a good area to get out of the wind if it kicks up.

So, to answer, yes the activity has picked up and I would bet that this weekend will have a good rush of fish. They are biting and agressive......

If you have any specific questions, please ask and I will answer.
    dank
    New Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/04 14:21:31 (permalink)
    thanks bass ackwards i'm headin up tomorrow and will use your advice. thx
    MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/10 09:37:31 (permalink)
    Going up this afternoon and fishing through Sat. afternoon. There's somewhat serious wind in the forecast. Up to 17mph today and 10-13mph the next few days.

I'm wondering how ugly the bay will be - considering I'm in a 14ft dingy (deep V) and the wind looks like 12-17 all day from NW / W. Is it even worth it to rent the boat, or would anyone recommend sticking to shore this afternoon? Only got about 4 hours today anyway. I've been in the Bay when it kicked up I believe 3-4 footers, which was definitely uncomfortable but not too much to navigate cautiously.

Next few days will be a bit easier to handle I think. I'll try to post some general updates on the smallies tonight/tomorrow night.
    dank
    New Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/10 12:49:56 (permalink)
    Mister Z... I was up there last Saturday and the winds were close to 25 mph from the NE and it was about 50 degrees. It sucked, but I was able to stay out in the bay (in a 18 ft bass tracker). I've heard you want some wind on the bay, if it is too calm the action is pretty slow. I'm going up again this weekend on Saturday and right now they are predicting 12 mph wind from the West and 70 degree temps...compared to last weekend, that sounds like a picnic to me.
    MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/13 17:54:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Dank. How did you do? I'll post my results here instead of start a new thread. Short and simple version - when fishing a post Eastern wind / front / storm - next time I'll stay home.

OK - if anyone care for way too many details - full report: I've never seen the Bay take on that kind of dingy stained green color before. I'm only up there a few times a year though. It was less than 1-foot visibility in PIB. I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned on this forum. That information may be very helpful if anyone is planning a trip this week. I would have brought some different tackle options but either way, I don't think we could have done much more.

Thursday afternoon: The winds were intense - 14-18MPH I was told, plus some gusts. The rental shop advised us not to waste money renting a boat. I appreciated it. So we fished the shore and my buddy caught 2 small bass. I lost one, and saw a few guys catch about 4-5 little bass. Shoulda tried the piers and deeper water maybe.

Friday: We upgraded from the 14 ft. aluminum to a 17ft Triumph, which fished much more like a bass boat than the deep V aluminum. Even though the waves were minimal - 1ft. or less most of the day, it was a struggle. The winds were probably 12-15MPH from the West. It was tough to get around with any speed. Even with the wind at the stern it was pretty choppy surface, didn't seem to matter which direction we went.

I fished about 5-7 "spots" that almost always produce. We finally got into a little pattern near the channel entry area and boated 4, lost 1-2. All small, but nice to see a some smallies. We were anchored up, and could barely stand. No trolling motor or depth finder. Almost as soon as that bite started, it seemed to disappear. That was it for the action. FYI I used Navionics to help find depths and ledges, but I think it's a bit off. Overall it was a big help, great little tool for a boating rookie like me.

So 5 total landed, huge fail in my opinion. We threw the kitchen sink at em, and the only production came from finesse and slow fished plastics. Only 1 reaction bite on a spinner bait. Cranks and jerks were no help. I felt bad for my buddy, I talked up Erie so much over the years. But I prepared him for the off chance the wrong weather could really kill the fishing.

Saturday: Even worse. We only fished 7:30-1. Had to get back home. Only two small bass for the 3 of us. Much better conditions, less wind, minimal waves, almost no waves early. Still didn't chance the main lake - more out of the time factor. Plus we saw so many bass boats and bigger lake worthy boats staying in the Bay. Many seemed to be coming back from the lake really early. I did hear most of the same - nobody having any luck. One or two said they got some bite really early - before 7:30, but not much and it died soon after. So a pretty disappointing trip. I'll try to get up there again next week, or in about 10 days. But only if the water's clear, and only if it's not after an tough few days of an East wind. Or maybe I am overreacting to the lake color and conditions?

For what it's worth, had a great experience with the Inn at Presque Isle cabins, and Port Erie Sports for the boat rental. Still had fun and it was a beautiful day yesterday to be on the water, regardless of those **** brozebacks.

MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/13 17:55:49 (permalink)
    Almost forgot to ask - we saw 2-3 very sickly looking large mouth. Almost dead it seemed, just swimming slowly near the surface, looked like they had some white blotches too. Never seen this at Erie. Saw a sign posted and heard something about bass pox? WTF? Shoulda read the sign and asked around. Hope it's not a major concern.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3145
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/13 18:45:21 (permalink)
    contact the PFBC about what you saw with the LM bass
    elkmaster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/13 19:42:33 (permalink)
    Fished the main lake Friday caught about 30 to 40 all small biggest was 5lbs and a bunch of 2's. The creeks were loaded with smallies spawning. Went to the bay Saturday and caught another 20 to 30 mixed bag lm and smallies a lil slow for erie but still fun. Yeah the water was very stained never seen it that bad either
    dank
    New Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/13 21:16:57 (permalink)
    Was up there Saturday still a little windy for my liking, but managed about 30 between me and my dad. Most came on the flats running down to misery bay from marina lake on slash baits. The morning bite was definitely better than the afternoon bite. Did go into marina lake for a little while to escape the wind and try for some LM, my dad managed 1. I did notice a LM "floating" toward the top of the water right by the launches, looked pretty weird, didn't get a close enough look to notice any white spots, but did seem a little strange.
    basshole1990
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/13 21:21:59 (permalink)
    So, I have no boat. How do you go about catching smallies on shore? All of the reports on here are about boats. Any help? I understand smallie patterns even less than largemouth.

Bigger is better.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/13 21:26:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b****1990

So, I have no boat. How do you go about catching smallies on shore? All of the reports on here are about boats. Any help? I understand smallie patterns even less than largemouth.

North and South Piers even out by Perry's Monument, talk to the bait shops they should get you squared away. Use Minnows
    post edited by psu_fish - 2012/05/13 21:27:20
    MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/13 22:20:01 (permalink)
    Well ****. Sounds like fish were willing and we should have done much better. But I fished those flats, really put a lot of time on them and multiple areas and depths. No idea why we could get any. Tried plenty of presentations, including the Rapala jerk baits. Wish we woulda tried main lake.

The sick large mouth (and gar) are sounding pretty scary. Hope it's a temporary thing. I'll try calling in a report tomorrow - good suggestion. I tried to search around a bit and only saw a few article about viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS)- a disease that has effected some Erie fish for the last few years. But I couldn't find anything convincing that says this is what we're seeing. Maybe it's something else.
    dank
    New Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/14 11:30:18 (permalink)
    Mister Z, the majority of the SM we caught on those flats were between 730 and 930, probably half the fish we caught the whole day were in those two hours. Were you out there early enough? Most of them were caught on a green and orange slashbait, my dad was trying black and white and after I caught 3 quick ones, he switched to orange and caught one within his next 5 casts. Was reeling AGAINST the wind too. Usually you want to reel the lure in with the wind because the fish always are facing the current when sitting still, but I think the element of surprise sneaking up on the is what caused the bite.
    MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/14 11:59:24 (permalink)
    Hey Dank,

Thanks for letting me know I appreciate the info. We hit the water at a little after 7:30 and went straight to the Monument. Had 3 guys fishing a number of presentations: tube, spinner bait / Skinny Dipper, and I was on d-shot / Jerk. I had a deep runner though and could only use it in over 6ft. First mistake was not taking the time to tie up some new lures for shallower water.

We watched a boat pull in 3-4 in a row right next to us, then troll right by us and take off. We figured the bite was on there, and stayed about an hour without a bite. We were drifting with the wind, fishing all directions.

My Jerk bait was Clown color X-Rap Deep which has worked out great in stained water in the past. I can't remember for sure but I'd say we didn't run up that flat until after 10, probably closer to 11. We headed to the wall and channel and tried deep water first. Started shallow on the flat and eventually ran up near the Presque Isle Marina entrance and went shallow to deep, trying to cover a lot of water fast - and drifted the flat and the first drop off from the Marina, drifting towards the Monument.

Oh well, what can you do. Good to hear someone had some success. I'm heading up again probably next Mon-Tues depending on forecast and water visibility. I'd hope it returns to normal by then. I'll wait it out this time if we can for the best days for lower winds.
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/14 20:49:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b****1990

The Dad of one of the kids on my grandson's baseball team was fish'n the Bay last weekend with 2 friends. between the 3 they got 35-40 both days. using waders. don't know exactly where. So you don't need a boat

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/14 22:19:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: topdog99

smallmoluths bite between 8-10 am and sleep the rest of the day...

i thought you knew

I shoulda known!

I'm really kicking myself for not getting out on the main lake Friday and Saturday. I just got off the phone with an old bass buddy of mine. He said he was up at PIB 3 weeks ago and the Bay was just as murky and stained. No idea why, but maybe it's been like that all spring? Sound like it's not just one random storm, and not temporary.

Anyway, his old tourney partner killed them last week in the Bay and main lake not far from PIB. But they both strongly suggested getting on the main lake right now. So, I'll give the Bay an hour on Monday and if it's not on, I'm heading out. Wind under 10 waves under 3 and I'm at least seeing how it feels in the rental dingy.

FYI jerk baits were still the go to bait for both of them, Bay and main lake, somewhat shallow. Not trying to kill any spots, just general advice. I'd get more specific via PM but most people know more than me anyway.
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/14 22:37:25 (permalink)
    Jerks work good at times but then again cranks if you still can find some prespawn fish otherwise its worms and swimjigs till the end of the spawn. Prespawn didn't last long enough
    basshole1990
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/16 21:43:40 (permalink)
    Has anybody ever caught a smallie on a spinnerbait or buzzbait?

Bigger is better.
    dank
    New Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/16 22:15:38 (permalink)
    I catch smallies on buzzbaits in the youghiogheny and monogahela rivers all the time. Pull em out when fishing early morn and late day.
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/16 23:00:47 (permalink)
    White spinnerbaits are all I use when the smallies first start arriving in the bay and in deep water.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/18 17:57:23 (permalink)
    fishing was slow Thursday..not many fish by the monument 

MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/18 19:03:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting this. I'm debating going up tomorrow but that's a lot of driving for one day. Already got a few days planned next week.

By any chance did you get a water temp in the Bay?
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/18 21:12:59 (permalink)
    60-63 depending where you fish in the bay 
    jamesat
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/21 07:37:26 (permalink)
    Me and a friend fished the bay all last week and caught mostly smallmouth bass with some largemouth. Monday we had 31 ,tue 35,wed 40, thur 45 and fri 17.The wind blew Wed and seemed to turn them on more.By Thursday the water cleared up and we would see beds everywhere ,most were empty with a few bass holding on some,maybe 1 out of 10 had bass.We caught a lot of 2lb bucks and only 3, 4.0 lb'ers with about 4-5 ,3lb'ers.It looks like most have finished spawning and are leaving the beds. 
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/21 20:35:13 (permalink)
    Caught 50 yesterday, main lake, but close to PIB. All in 9 fow or less, all on hard and soft jerkbaits.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/22 17:27:40 (permalink)
    Got 46 as well.Some were beat up pretty good from spawning
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/22 18:10:21 (permalink)

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/22 22:14:02 (permalink)
    Nice fish and nice burn...ouch.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: