Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
  • Reward points: 0
2012/04/08 20:25:17 (permalink)

DHALOs

Around the Fish & Boat Commission

A change to who can fish in stream sections managed under delayed harvest, artificial lures only rules and when they can keep fish will be discussed when commissioners hold their quarterly meeting in Shippensburg on Wednesday and Thursday.

Now, delayed harvest waters are open only to anglers using flies or artificial lures. They can keep three fish per day from June 15 through Labor Day.

Those rules were initially put in place to provide anglers with stocked trout later into the year, while still allowing fish to be taken before the stresses of warm water killed them anyway.

On the agenda for commissioners this week is a proposal that would allow fish to be taken sooner, from the Saturday before Memorial Day through Labor Day. More significantly, the proposal would allow anglers to fish with bait during that time."The removal of tackle restrictions during the harvest period will provide for more angling opportunity by broadening the angler base and encouraging increased participation by younger anglers," reads the recommendation by the commission`s bureau of fisheries. "During the designated no harvest period, the artificial lures only tackle restrictions will remain in effect on the waters managed under these regulations."

Another proposal would remove the regulation that prohibits fishing delayed harvest waters – as well as catch and release and catch and release fly fishing only waters – from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise.

From the Pittsburgh Tribune

Not sure I like this idea.
Turming the bucket brigade loose on some of the only water that holds trout all year around here is not good.

Must be pretty hard to learn to throw a spinner or a fly....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

94 Replies Related Threads

SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 20:34:49 (permalink)
    Like the stupid bait dunkers dont have enough creek to fish on!!!!

Un freaking believable. Now Im mad thanks for ruining my easter

East side love is living on the west end
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3145
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 20:41:18 (permalink)
    How keeping Trout open all year and do away with all these regs....just stocked fish
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 20:46:59 (permalink)
    We create a place where you can feel good to trick a fish, than have a bunch of bait dunkers come in and snatch em up.
    When you go to a DALO the fish have been in there a while. They only take a well presented lure or fly, which is where you can hone in on your skills.

Jus my opinion.

fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 20:49:09 (permalink)
    Who cares, it's just a dumb stocked trout. They'll put more in for you in the fall anyways.
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 20:56:15 (permalink)
    Most of those streams arent even capable of supporting trout year round. So why not let some dude come down and rip em out with a fathead minnow.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 21:08:31 (permalink)
    Well they'll have to change the designation to Delayed Harvest Fish With Whatever the F You Want All Summer, or DHFWWTFYWAS.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 21:09:04 (permalink)
    But they do hold trout all year. The hold overs can be quite impressive.

BH
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3145
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 21:10:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SevenMileShowcase

We create a place where you can feel good to trick a fish, than have a bunch of bait dunkers come in and snatch em up.
    When you go to a DALO the fish have been in there a while. They only take a well presented lure or fly, which is where you can hone in on your skills.

Jus my opinion.

Yup, I mean cranking a rooster-tail takes some serious skill
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 21:26:28 (permalink)
    They only take a well presented lure or fly, which is where you can hone in on your skills.

Or...you know...a pink power worm.
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3427
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 21:31:41 (permalink)
    I know I'll take threadin minnows up Volant and pound em pound em! LOL!
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 21:34:44 (permalink)
    Fshrmn, just stop, get on a trout stream before you start spouting out about em dying. Plenty of fish hold over if the bottom isnt filled with silt. Maybe you should leave Latrobe and find some quality water.

Livinfishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 22:43:34 (permalink)
    If this only includes DHALO areas and not DHFFO (Fly fishing only areas) then I am all for it. Although there are of course some exceptions, most areas under DHALO regulations cannot support significant year round trout popoulations.
    post edited by Livinfishin - 2012/04/08 22:46:05
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 22:50:09 (permalink)
    If it isn't broken then don't fix it.

Any arguments aside, bait fishing does wreak the most havoc on the fisheries. From a conservation stand point, the fish are being stocked into certain areas that will provide the best chance of survival in that stream. This has worked in some places where the fish will actually survive. Allowing more time and more areas to bait fish is like turning the Trout projects into a put and take food supply or like they're trying to get anyone to go out and buy a license. Neither or those 2 choices are very desirable to me. Half of the problem is that anyone and everyone will show up at the stream... and people are notorious for destroying things. Oh well, welcome to PA.

For the record, I tossed Rooster tails on my first trout outing as a kid.

I'd rather be fishin...
    Livinfishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 23:05:21 (permalink)
    MOST of the stocked waters with exception to spring fed mountain streams in the center of the state cannot support year round trout popuatlions of significance anyway so bait fisherman aren't destroying anything by taking trout that would die off. Are you telling me that fisherman taking trout with bait on the DHALO sections of Pine Creek, Deer Creek, Buffalo Creek or Dutch Fork Creek are going to be taking trout that would survive the summer heat? I don't think so. I think this is a reasonable regulation and some of these arguments overlook the obvious fact that these fish can be taken with spinners anyway so why not allow someone take them with bait? Also, I cannot understand some of these arguments knocking bait fisherman when it is MUCH easier to fish a pool with someone using powerbait as opposed to someone chucking a rooster tail from one end of the pool to the other.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 23:27:02 (permalink)
    MOST of the stocked waters with exception to spring fed mountain streams in the center of the state cannot support year round trout popuatlions of significance anyway so bait fisherman aren't destroying anything by taking trout that would die off.

Yeah, that's not true.
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 23:33:48 (permalink)
    @ Livinfishin

I, for one, am not knocking anyone. Let that be known. When I want to catch fish for the dinner table I use bait. Plain and simple, catch my limit. I'm not always looking to TAKE the fish though. Sometimes I just want to see and study them in their natural environment. I wasn't saying that the fish survived for very long in all the creeks, but they do survive longer in a DHALO area. Face it, the creeks and fish don't destroy themselves. I'd say that the majority of stocked trout are taken by people fishing with bait... and the majority of the trash along the creeks comes from the majority of people that are there... so on and so forth. Where do you think that pollution and habitat destruction came from?

I'd rather be fishin...
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/08 23:48:35 (permalink)
    I caught 47 trout in the months of January and February before they stocked.

Caught almost all them on midges and sucker spawns in the Buffalo DALO.
    post edited by SevenMileShowcase - 2012/04/08 23:49:42

fishinvic
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 03:12:51 (permalink)
    There are many wild trout streems so go test your skills on them just saying ,stock trout are put and take imp.

!!!!FISH ON!!!!
    AndyLee
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 06:44:40 (permalink)

Like the stupid bait dunkers dont have enough creek to fish on!!!!

Un freaking believable. Now Im mad thanks for ruining my easter

Actually, no they don't. There is no stretch of water in the state that discriminates against water slappers, so why should is discriminate against bait dunkers? To me, why not make the DHALO areas 100% catch and release and make them open to any method of fishing?

If bait dunkers are as barbaric as you make them out to be, they'd likely avoid the DHALO areas if they couldn't sacrifice the fish to Satan.
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 10:21:42 (permalink)
    I have only fished 3 DHALO sections of creeks, I do believe that 2 of them would hold fish year round, the other I highly doubt it. But I still don't like the rule, people will get easily confused by it and be fishing all year round with bait. Could the PFBC catch them? sure, but for the dozens of times I fished these areas I have yet to see a fish cop and I see bait containers every where. It would just be another confusing rule that people wouldn't understand.

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 10:24:23 (permalink)
    To me, why not make the DHALO areas 100% catch and release and make them open to any method of fishing?

Well, because then they wouldn't be CHALO, they'd be All-Tackle Catch & Release.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 10:36:13 (permalink)
    quote:

MOST of the stocked waters with exception to spring fed mountain streams in the center of the state cannot support year round trout popuatlions of significance anyway so bait fisherman aren't destroying anything by taking trout that would die off.

Yeah, that's not true.

Not true at all!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 11:12:35 (permalink)
    Sorry gents didn't want to turn this into a Bait dunker bashing.

Completely missed the point...

There are DHALO areas here where I live that can and do support trout all year.
    The only reason that they are still there is because of the DHALO regs.

I have yet to see a trout creeled by Flyfishermen or Spinfishers on these sections when I have fished them, I'm sure there is some but not very much in my experience...

Let's just make those section C&R release only, all tackle..
    I don't care WHO fished these sections, but would like to see some trout available for all to fish for all year....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 11:13:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Livinfishin

MOST of the stocked waters with exception to spring fed mountain streams in the center of the state cannot support year round trout popuatlions of significance anyway so bait fisherman aren't destroying anything by taking trout that would die off. Are you telling me that fisherman taking trout with bait on the DHALO sections of Pine Creek, Deer Creek, Buffalo Creek or Dutch Fork Creek are going to be taking trout that would survive the summer heat? I don't think so. I think this is a reasonable regulation and some of these arguments overlook the obvious fact that these fish can be taken with spinners anyway so why not allow someone take them with bait? Also, I cannot understand some of these arguments knocking bait fisherman when it is MUCH easier to fish a pool with someone using powerbait as opposed to someone chucking a rooster tail from one end of the pool to the other.

ha, ha! that's a good laugh. do you fish any creeks year round. what about the delayed harvest/FFO areas?

any of you bait only guys want to bet the project areas will be littered more after the bait guys show up?
     i can see more property owners posting their land, that project area runs through, after the first year or so of this.
    we thought the neshannock creek project area was crowded at times now.
    i can't wait to see these bait guys helping out clearing brush and making the project areas more accessable.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2080
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 11:19:37 (permalink)
    Bad idea, period.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 11:25:34 (permalink)
    If they open the local DHALOs to this, as soon as it's open to bait fishing, im going and tossing my limit, each day, on the bank. The faster it gets cleaned out of all trout, the less time for slobs to trash the place with worm containers, hook packs, food wrappers, etc.
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 11:34:24 (permalink)
    I personally dunked bait, and only killed two fish last year. However when you get the people that look like a walking salmon egg and sit on the bank and just let the fish completely engulf the bait more fish will die sooner than they should, and this whole thing about youngsters not fishing is BS, me and my buddies fish almost 150 days a year.

That's my problem, your hurting the die hards I try and get a few more city slickers to purchase a license
    post edited by SevenMileShowcase - 2012/04/09 11:35:21

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 11:38:11 (permalink)

I personally dunked bait, and only killed two fish last year. However when you get the people that look like a walking salmon egg and sit on the bank and just let the fish completely engulf the bait more fish will die sooner than they should, and this whole thing about youngsters not fishing is BS, me and my buddies fish almost 150 days a year.

That's my problem, your hurting the die hards I try and get a few more city slickers to purchase a license

good point!

and i like your idea cold!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: DHALOs 2012/04/09 11:51:55 (permalink)
    Ok,

The bait VS non debate aside. How many of you are going to spend the same effort you have spent posting here, firing an e-mail to your commissioner prior to the meetings? Or expressing your views to the PF&BC during the public comment period, should this make it to the formal rulemaking process?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: