New to the boards and PA

Author
LaughingFish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/21 08:27:15 (permalink)

New to the boards and PA

I posted this on the NW PA board, but I guess it should really go here since hubby and I are starting our PA fishing adventure on Presque Isle.

Hubby and I just moved to PA last month and were eager to get fishing. We've been out twice on Presque Isle, saw dozens if not hundreds of fish jumping, saw a boat pulling them in hand over fist, and even saw a man pull up an 18# cat. I know there are fish there ... Why can't I get at 'em?

Tried small jigs, rubber worms, pre-packed minnows (I didn't realize Gander didn't sell live bait), salmon eggs, corn, small spoons, small spinners, and small plugs. You name it, I think I've tried it.

Looking for any advice you've got. We've been in Misery bay, the north pier, and the first grassy pool on the bay side (not sure what it's called).

Thanks!

4 Replies Related Threads

streamerfisher1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: New to the boards and PA 2012/03/21 20:02:28 (permalink)
    welcome to the boards laughing fish. you have fished some good spots but it is a little early all though things are starting to heat up.give it a little longer and it will be really good. as far as live bait if your going to presquie isle bay there is a bait shop at the top of the hill right befor u go into the park its on the right and they usually give pretty good info also. good luck.
    Fenwayer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: New to the boards and PA 2012/03/21 20:58:43 (permalink)
    You will love Presque Isle. Without a doubt the greatest place on Earth to fish. It will begin to pick up greatly. I've had a great past few days, as I've been out wading and out on the kayak. Misery has been the hot spot it seems.

"Tight Lines."
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: New to the boards and PA 2012/03/21 22:37:23 (permalink)
    In a couple weeks it wont matter where you go. The whole bay will be filled with dozens of species of fish to catch. Enjoy....

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Panther99
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: New to the boards and PA 2012/03/22 08:21:19 (permalink)
    Bay is still cold. Weather will cool down starting Sunday but the bay temps really will not go down just go up slower. Have not seen any spawing sunfish or bass yet

Right now small spoons or kastmasters work very well for bass fish are very slow right now caught 20 in 3 hours the other day doing this retrieving very slowly

also small spinner baits white pink other light colors are working for bass inline spinners not working as well

the fly rod for panfish has been another excellent choice I fished 2 brown nymphs on a 4 weight almost no movement on the take but at one point it was getting ridiculous again a slow bite but several dozen very large gills and crappie better than bait as you are not constantly reloading.

Jump to: