Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead?

Author
verbatim
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 147
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/07 03:42:25 (permalink)

Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead?

I'm not actually interested in starting a baitshop or company or anything like that but I have to wonder if there is any room left for someone new to come in and make money on the Steelhead / Salmon runs in the Great Lakes.

Can you imagine trying to start fresh as a guide in Erie right now? How about starting a steelhead/trout/walleye spoon manufacture business?? A bait shop?

If you look at all the closed bait shops, failed companies, reduced runs and combine that with the plethora of bait shops, guides and lure companies that exist now, it looks like there may not be any room for new guys.

Does that hurt us as anglers in the long run? Does it mean less innovation and service?

13 Replies Related Threads

TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/07 08:16:50 (permalink)
    Running a succesful business takes work. Many people don't consider the back end of the business before hand. In your case in point I'm sure there are guys out there that know enough to be a guide/charter on Erie and do just fine for their clients. If they have no clue how to run the back end of their business and keep their books financially intact then the business is going to fail. Not because they didn't know where the fish are, but because they didn't know the business side of things. That's just my opinion.
    post edited by TastyTrout - 2012/03/07 08:17:11

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
    Jimmy D Moore

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/07 09:02:59 (permalink)
    your question implies there was, at one time, money to be made in steelhead

WILDBROOKIE
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/07 10:18:26 (permalink)
    free market society at least for a few more years
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/07 12:24:40 (permalink)
    Give the people something they want, at a price the market will bear, a price that, with the revenue, you can cover costs, make a living, and put back into the business. Do it legally, underhandedly, or secretly. Profit.
    Whitebeard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/09 13:40:57 (permalink)
    Say's Law has been misunderstood and conflated for decades. Adam Smith's opinion on free markets has been treated much the same.

In the not-too-distant future, we'll be compelled to return the dictum: Give the people what they NEED.
    post edited by Whitebeard - 2012/03/12 17:41:44
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/09 15:48:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Whitebeard

Give the people what they NEED.

I don't know about you guys but most folks I know need money

Since the original post pertained to the "great lakes", I will say that I do see newer folks prospering on the eastern end of lake Ontario with lodging/guiding/food joints etc...but as others mentioned, bottom end and overhead are very important. Also creativity is very important... all of your eggs in one basket can sink you if you know what I mean...
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/09 16:33:16 (permalink)
    Anybody know of any guides that fish Elk near I-90 down towards Greens Valley ?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/09 19:15:01 (permalink)
    "all of your eggs in one basket can sink you if you know what I mean..."

So can extending yourself beyond what you know, and do well. Many businesses big, and small have learned this. Many others haven't. YET!

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2559
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/09 19:28:19 (permalink)
    Recipe for success. Create a need, then corner the market.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/09 19:32:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

"all of your eggs in one basket can sink you if you know what I mean..."

So can extending yourself beyond what you know, and do well. Many businesses big, and small have learned this. Many others haven't. YET!

Definitely a fine line spoon, not doubting that. But Some folks I know andsee doing well these days seem to do alright by being multi faceted... lodge/tackle/guiding/bar/cafe in one operation... I wont mention the trade name but they've been doing well for quite some time now... another friend of mine does a bed and breakfast and on his free time him and his brother put on a tool belt and do carpentry work on the side... other guys are hosting a lodge rooms, cabin rentals and campsites also... then there's the ones that cater to kayakers in the summer, salmon fishers in fall and snowmobiles, cross country skiers and steel headers in the winter.... just a few different examples
    anatikus
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/09 23:33:32 (permalink)
    i cant find the cash to get innovative fishing products ive created pattented ....let alone start a business. just sayn.

fish heads fish heads rolly polly fish heads
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/10 07:19:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: anatikus

i cant find the cash to get innovative fishing products ive created pattented ....let alone start a business. just sayn.

As I said earlier, most folks I know need money more than anything :)
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Is there still any money to be made from Steelhead? 2012/03/10 09:04:26 (permalink)
    According to the Nostradamuses ( Nostradami? ) here, there won't be any Steelhead left in two years. So no

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Jump to: