Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
fisher1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/01 12:00:41 (permalink)

Poaching

I don't mean to start a big discussion/argument but I have a question...how do you know that all of the people accused of snagging are truly snagging? I fish the tribs numerous times per year and I've been fishing regularly my entire life and unless I see someone standing over fish in very clear water ripping an inappropriate bait (i.e. oversized spinner) through a pod of fish I'm very rarely certain that what I am seeing is snagging.

What i do notice is at the end of a drift fly fishermen pulling their bait out of the water and making a ripping sound on top of the water...is this what people are considering snagging? I've always thought it was more of a reflection of poor line management skills of the angler.

Maybe I'm naive but I can only say that I've definitely seen people intentionally snagging steelhead two or three times and I fish the tribs approximately 24-30 days per year.

Again, not trying to argue...just trying to understand.

41 Replies Related Threads

TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/01 12:10:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fisher1

What i do notice is at the end of a drift fly fishermen pulling their bait out of the water and making a ripping sound on top of the water...is this what people are considering snagging? I've always thought it was more of a reflection of poor line management skills of the angler.

Oh boy...if there's one thing I've learned here it's never to go against the fly fisherman. They're going to get you bud!

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
    Jimmy D Moore

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/01 13:42:24 (permalink)
    Here's another one! And to think we're using the same

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/01 13:49:44 (permalink)
    If you read fisher1's post closer, he's actually supporting fly fisherman and saying that they aren't snagging the majority of the time when making a ripping sound pulling their bait out of the water.

I would agree with the original poster in the fact that he may be a little naive. There's a huge difference between pulling your bait out of the water and ripping at the end of every drift as hard as you can. I see anglers, on every weekend trip up in the fall, where half or more of the fish they play are hooked in the back or in the tail. Just Sayin!
    post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2012/03/01 13:51:39
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/01 14:20:43 (permalink)
    Okay:

Hopefully I can bring some light to this issue. Fly-Fishing over a large group of steelhead, (Manchester hole perhaps) with a fly rod that is dead drifted with a float and egg pattern is where I see 90% of foul hooking/snagging instances. If a fly with an exposed barb is drifted through stationary fish, there is really no way to "steer" it around. If it gets caught in the wash from a fishes tail, it can get flung around and easily pin itself into the side or the tail of a steelhead. It is merely a rolling exposed hook. Now, I do see guys fair hooking them, but many times there is foul hooking. once its hooked itself, the float heading downstream creates tension, which usually makes the fish shoot forward solidifying the fouled hook. Coffee break for everyone fishing around you.

Fishing a single egg "naked" (no float, split)is probably my favorite way to fish for podded up steelhead. If you use a small enough hook, there is no exposure, and it harmlessly bounces off the fish if one did come in contact with it. Another, is a jig. If you are able to fish a jig in front of fish and not through fish, once you bring it in front of them they usually stray away from it, then come back to it once they decide they want to hit. Or, if you can get to a spot that you can vertically jig, it makes it very easy to steer it though the fish with a jig and drift type action.

It is inevitable that fish will be foul hooked. Sometimes they get off other times they do not, but, from my experience, and from when I used to fly fish full time, I had twice the amount of accidental foul hooking fishing egg patterns in the methods above rather than fishing w/ a spinning rod.

Now, some people blatantly snag fish. Some people are so good at it they can actually drift a spawn right into a fishes mouth. Either way, I have seen just the amount of spin rod fisherman and fly fisherman blatantly snagging. It's just how some people feel they have to do it....
    post edited by Loomis - 2012/03/01 14:23:25
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/01 21:20:41 (permalink)
    Well said, and good posting.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/01 21:26:14 (permalink)
    I never poached with an egg, but I once poached an egg. Very bland, and unsatisfying

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 06:51:51 (permalink)
    There is a big difference between foul hooking a fish by accident when drifting a fly in a pod of fish and intentionally trying to snag fish by lining them. Loomis does a good job explaining that.

There are some who have learned from others that lining is the an appropriate way to fish for steelies and teach others to do it. This quote, "force feeding" steelies in their opinion is just fine as long as the hook ends up in the fish's mouth. If a person is intentionally trying to drift the fly or the leader into the mouth of the fish and then quickly set the hook, that is basically snagging and is no different than someone running a big lure with a treble hook through a pod of fish. The only difference is the first guy is being a bit more subtle.

pax vobiscum +
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 08:21:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteelSlayer77

If you read fisher1's post closer, he's actually supporting fly fisherman and saying that they aren't snagging the majority of the time when making a ripping sound pulling their bait out of the water.

I was referring to when he said "poor line management skills." I just thought that might be opening up a can of worms for any fly fisherman that took it the wrong way.

Jimmy D Moore

SimmsFlyGuy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 08:50:44 (permalink)
    When fishing smaller nymphs/emerger patters, some guys allow the fly to swing at the end of the drift to better imitate the emerger. Following this with a "J" hookset after the swing picks up fish the take the fly on the swing. It also prepares the line for an easier roll cast back upstream for the next drift, or for a downstream roll cast and a water haul back up for a longer drift ( if needed). It's actually good line management if the guy knows what he's doing. In some cases though, you're right, it's just snagging.
    SimmsFlyGuy
    New Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 08:55:54 (permalink)
    p.s... "opening a can of worms for fly fisherman", not sure if the pun was intended there or not, but it was funny either way!
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 10:47:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SimmsFlyGuy

p.s... "opening a can of worms for fly fisherman", not sure if the pun was intended there or not, but it was funny either way!

I was hoping someone would catch on to that...

Jimmy D Moore

freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 11:05:17 (permalink)
    6 split shots, tandem egg patterns and a hook set everytime that rig is in the middle of a pod of fish----Snaggin'
    Redfly2
    New Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 11:40:15 (permalink)
    I think everyone should spend more time trying to enjoy the time on the water instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing.  The PFBC Officers know people snag, line, take limits and return for a second helping.  If they were as concerned as some of the people constantly whining about the depletion of fish population they would be out more collecting the rewards from citations.  It's their responsibility to enforce not mine. I know, they have limited resources, and other things to do with their time on the clock etc.  Just making a point.

I have to wonder if many other things may also annually contribute to the depletion of the fish population:

Using leader and tippet material so light it won't support the proper landing of a fish, although fairly hooked of course, and the angler fully understanding while doing so that it's quite often not strong enough causing multiple break offs and leaving hundreds of fish with hooks and tippet material hanging out of their mouths.  No concern for the fish here but rather for the sole purpose of getting the fight and not the fish.  Is this wrong?  Does this also add to the death and depletion of the population?  As well as littering up the tribs.

Hooking the fish, fighting it to exhaustion, then so generously out of concern for its well being releasing it after keeping it captive long enough to get a few glory shots, only for it to endure this same process over and over again. Might this add to lower numbers as well?

Should there be line weight and tippet strength limits to ensure a suitable match for what you seek to catch, allowing for less play time while attempting to land the fish?  Might this assist in supporting the intentions and concerns of catching and releasing the fish unharmed?

This is just a different perspective, think about what you do that could be perceived by another as adding to the death of many fish as well, before crying about somebody elses tactics.  Also consider the complaints may often be raised because some feel there should be thousands of fish waiting for them when they arrive to enjoy themselves.

I feel a lot of the time (not all)the complaints are raised because the Angler doesn't have the experience or numbers they feel they are entitled to every time they get out on the tribs and, not truly and only out of concern for the well being of the steelhead population.

I do not condone the blatant snagging of fish, if you want to risk getting caught, thats your business but I'm going to enjoy my days of fishing with my friends and not concern myself with what others are doing when it comes to how they hook their fish.

There are plenty of fish to be had, and will continue to be. 

For me,   Any day on the water, fish or not, is better than any day in my office.

Peace all.

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 14:11:58 (permalink)
    I think everyone should spend more time trying to enjoy the time on the water instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing.

You're post is a bit hypocritical dude. After starting with the quote above you go on to talk about other people using leader and tippet that is to light, other people fighting fish to exhaustion and taking glory shots, and propose limits on line weight! Maybe you should take some of your own advice. Just Sayin

Just because people talk about what they are seeing while out on the water, in an internet forum, doesn't mean they are worrying about it while they are out or can't enjoy their time on the water.

Also this thread has nothing to do about the depletion of the fish population. That's just something you concluded or conjured up in your own mind, without anyone even mentioning numbers of fish in this thread before your post. I think it's more of a moral issue here, and this same conversation would be happening no matter what the numbers are like.
    post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2012/03/02 14:16:21
    Redfly2
    New Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 14:33:31 (permalink)
    My apologies Steelslayer,

I read both threads which have similar headings and upon deciding to post my thoughts I posted in the wrong one.  The thread turning in poachers I believe had quite a bit of mention about numbers return rates and the destruction of the steelhead fisherie.  I should have posted it there.

As far as being a hypocrite ?  I simply offered a perspective to be considered to show there could be many reasons for the numbers annually.  Including that those who choose to release the catch could be causing quite a bit of damge as well.  It was just another look at other harm that is done simply by the act of fishing.   Don't get your self all worked up Dude.
    Redfly2
    New Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 14:40:37 (permalink)

I think it's more of a moral issue here, and this same conversation would be happening no matter what the numbers are like.

Everyone has and follows there own set of morals, thats life, right or wrong.  You will find that others aren't always a copy of yours or yours a copy of theirs.   Just a fact of life Dude.  Accept it, live by your own. I'll refrain from morally judging a person over fish. 

Peace All
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 14:55:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Redfly2

I think everyone should spend more time trying to enjoy the time on the water instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing. The PFBC Officers know people snag, line, take limits and return for a second helping. If they were as concerned as some of the people constantly whining about the depletion of fish population they would be out more collecting the rewards from citations. It's their responsibility to enforce not mine. I know, they have limited resources, and other things to do with their time on the clock etc. Just making a point.

I totally agree with what redfly2 said here.

What anyone else wants to do is their business. I don't get paid to police the streams, I just fish them. Again, I personally find it hilarious when someone is blatantly snagging, especially in front of other people. What is equally as hilarious is when the citizen fisher police tell them to stop, and they just keep doing it.....sorry, but this is just a battle you cannot win. Better to just leave it to those who can.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 15:11:14 (permalink)
    I'll refrain from morally judging a person over fish.

sorry, but this is just a battle you cannot win. Better to just leave it to those who can.

Spoken like true snaggers

When I morally judge someone I see on the Erie tribs because they are blatantly snagging, swearing around children, and littering; That has nothing to do with fish.
    post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2012/03/02 15:13:50
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 16:38:26 (permalink)

I'll refrain from morally judging a person over fish.

sorry, but this is just a battle you cannot win. Better to just leave it to those who can.

Spoken like true snaggers

When I morally judge someone I see on the Erie tribs because they are blatantly snagging, swearing around children, and littering; That has nothing to do with fish.

Throughout a child's life they will be to exposed people that don't follow the rules. If you set a good example for your kids yourself, then you will have nothing to worry about when it comes to their actions no matter what they are exposed to, right?

Suffice it to say, a very large majority of people are pretty much just in the way no matter what they are doing, but they do accuse those who can catch a good number of fish of being a snagger....I hope you aren't one of those people, they can be pretty salty.

I truly feel sorry for someone who has to snag a steelhead to catch it, I never understood why, but at the same time, I just don't care either.....you still aren't going to stop it.

post edited by Loomis - 2012/03/02 16:40:49
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/02 17:55:07 (permalink)
    Suffice it to say, a very large majority of people are pretty much just in the way no matter what they are doing, but they do accuse those who can catch a good number of fish of being a snagger....I hope you aren't one of those people, they can be pretty salty.

I was just messing with you guys and don't really think you're a snagger. lol To be honest I don't like seeing snagging, but have never felt the need to bother trying to stop it or say anything either. I agree with you guys on that point. I simply keep walking and enjoy the scenery along the way.

post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2012/03/02 18:02:48
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/03 07:28:53 (permalink)

I simply offered a perspective to be considered to show there could be many reasons for the numbers annually.  Including that those who choose to release the catch could be causing quite a bit of damge as well.  It was just another look at other harm that is done simply by the act of fishing.  

I think in the last 30 years of walking the creeks, I have seen maybe 3 dead fish.
    I don't think catching, releasing,leaving a fish with a hook in it's mouth, taking pictures has done much damage

Of course Elk might be different, with all the bears eating them before you find them
    post edited by glen - 2012/03/03 07:32:18
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/03 10:24:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Loomis

I think everyone should spend more time trying to enjoy the time on the water instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing. The PFBC Officers know people snag, line, take limits and return for a second helping. If they were as concerned as some of the people constantly whining about the depletion of fish population they would be out more collecting the rewards from citations. It's their responsibility to enforce not mine. I know, they have limited resources, and other things to do with their time on the clock etc. Just making a point.

I totally agree with what redfly2 said here.

What anyone else wants to do is their business. I don't get paid to police the streams, I just fish them. Again, I personally find it hilarious when someone is blatantly snagging, especially in front of other people. What is equally as hilarious is when the citizen fisher police tell them to stop, and they just keep doing it.....sorry, but this is just a battle you cannot win. Better to just leave it to those who can.

Well stated Redfly2 and Loomis! It is amazing to me when well intentioned sportsmen call attention to blatant, obvious snaggers and they either ignore one completely or attempt to engage on in an argument. Better yet when they deny they are snagging! While it is admirable sportsmen speak out against snaggers, it does seem to be a losing battle and only ends up in aggravating the true sportsmen. Just IMO.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/03 17:06:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: glen

I simply offered a perspective to be considered to show there could be many reasons for the numbers annually.  Including that those who choose to release the catch could be causing quite a bit of damge as well.  It was just another look at other harm that is done simply by the act of fishing.  

I think in the last 30 years of walking the creeks, I have seen maybe 3 dead fish.
    I don't think catching, releasing,leaving a fish with a hook in it's mouth, taking pictures has done much damage

Of course Elk might be different, with all the bears eating them before you find them

Glen I couldn't agree more ... as cold as the water temperature remains for the majority of the season and ( higher dissolved oxygen content in the water ) ..... Not many fish die from photos or " over play". I could understand this theory in late September when water temps are 60 degrees plus and agree ; however these fish are hardy in water below 60 degrees .

If one chooses to use 2 lb test and loose alot of tackle I am all for it and the fish will bite my 8lb test the next day : ) I've seen at most 20 dead fish total since October while steelhead fishing 5 out of 7 days a week since September . A few hours after work M-Thurs and constantly Fri-Sun ..... Them bears are quick you know .....

As for the snaggars ..... go to the chutes on Walnut Creek above Manchester hole in Oct - Nov . between 5 am & 7 am and you will see them at it ( 5-10 people with ropes ).

I have heard the multiple limit gang has been selling these fish for $10 each to someone from the south . Good luck infiltrating their click ..... If you want to observe wait for some rain and show up at this time you will be enlightened ..... as always remember they are just dumb fish .
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2012/03/03 17:07:59
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/03 17:40:53 (permalink)
    I don't know but we are in the wrong profession no doubt ....
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/03 23:54:36 (permalink)
    I wanted to add to fly guys whipping their line. I've seen that happen sometimes if their indicator stops and they miss it and catch it on the tail end than try to set the hook only to have their line coming whipping out

East side love is living on the west end
    Redfly2
    New Angler
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/04 11:22:55 (permalink)
    To all who posted,

Personally, I could care less how anyone else catches their fish or how many they keep, none of my business, there is an agency in place that controls, regulates and is supposed to enforce this, not me.

My opinion, most complaining on here are not complaining out of their sole concern for the existence of the annually stocked steelhead population, or for the protection of the fisherie, but rather complaining because they expect endless opportunities when they choose to go out and enjoy themselves fishing for them.  And everyone other than themselves or like minded people, is in their opinion selfishly creating less opportunity for them.  Opinions...

I'm just grateful I have these opportunities within a resonable distance from where I live.  I don't need or expect to have hundreds of fish waiting for me when I get there, I don't request information on fish counts before deciding to go, I don't need or wish to keep my steelhead catch, and my trips are about getting out, relaxing, enjoying fishing, my friends, and my time on the water.

Again Opinions, everyone has there own.

My 97 yr old Uncle told me once, "Try to have a little bit of fun everyday,  It's later than you think".

Peace All.
    post edited by Redfly2 - 2012/03/04 13:54:39
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/04 14:41:53 (permalink)
    Ditto......something like what he said above!

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Poaching 2012/03/04 17:07:52 (permalink)
    "its no different then a private club leasing water and catching the fish WE payed for.."

They also buy a license & appropriate stamps. So they are catching fish that THEY payed for as well.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: