Lampe Marina fish cleaning station?

Author
Pie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 145
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/24 11:24:05 (permalink)

Lampe Marina fish cleaning station?

Does anyone have any interest in pursuing a cleaning station at Lampe?
I have spoken to the port authority in the past and it seems like money is the main issue. Maybe someone knows somebody higher up who might be able to get the ball rolling. If it is only a financial thing, perhaps we could raise some funds or donate some time to build it. I can't imagine that it would be that expensive or difficult to build. It sure would be nice to clean our catch down there like the good old days before our fine fish police started enforcing the no cleaning policy. Any thoughts?

14 Replies Related Threads

Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/24 11:39:57 (permalink)
    This raises a very good question.
    1. What is the Fish Commission Poilcy?
    2. The Fish Commission does not own Lampe Marina Launch. It is owned by the Port Authority, like Lampe Camp Ground. (you are permitted to clean your fish there)
    3. Why can't you clean your fish there if you dispose of the remains properly?

I am not trying to cause any issues, I am just confused.......Since I dock at Lampe, I watch the Charter captains clean there clients fish abord their vessel every day and no fish police bother them.

If anyone knows the real issue, I would enjoy hearing it.

REMEMBER "The toes you step on today may be connected to the AZZ you have to kiss tomorrow"
    Pie
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/24 11:59:17 (permalink)
    "FIELD DRESSING AND DISPOSAL OF FISH – It is unlawful to possess a fish in any form or condition other than in the whole or having the entrails removed while on shore, along the waters of the Commonwealth, onboard a boat or on a dock, pier, launch area or parking lot adjacent thereto. Fish may be processed fully if they are being prepared for immediate consumption on site. This does not apply to fish processed at a fish cleaning station officially recognized by the Commission or by a permitted charter boat/fishing guide operation."

Note the last sentence...After my brother and cousin were written up down there the fish cop told us we should look into a cleaning station so I'm pretty sure it's something that could be worked out. I don't see them changing the law for us so I am all for doing whatever it takes to make it happen.
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/24 12:18:56 (permalink)
    Interesting, I would be happy to help in any way I can. I however only camp at Lampe and fish 3 or 4 times a month. I think the station would be a great idea but some of the folks who would use it would ruin it. Like everything else it would get trashed. Very unfortunate for fishermen who respect the property of others.

REMEMBER "The toes you step on today may be connected to the AZZ you have to kiss tomorrow"
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/24 12:49:42 (permalink)
    "This does not apply to fish processed at a fish cleaning station officially recognized by the Commission."

Simply "building" a fish cleaning station would not satisfify this requirement. It would have to be operated by someone permitted by the PF&BC, who could give you a reciept IE: quantity & species of fish.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Pie
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/24 13:14:57 (permalink)
    I understand that. I just think it's way overdue. If we put our heads together I know we can get an "official" station installed down there. I am down there quite a bit and I'm sure that the other tenants as well as Lampe employees would keep an eye on things.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/24 20:53:59 (permalink)
    There was a fish cleaning station at the old Avonia marina and nobody ever monitored it. We always kept it clean meaning all that used it. Pie your relatives weren't discarding the guts,bones ect.? And still received an award from the Fish Warden. Wow what discretion was used there huh! Spoon by law is there to be someone there who is a full time attendant? if so using the station without that person there anglers could look forward to receiving their award also.
    post edited by rmcmillen09 - 2012/02/24 20:59:58
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/24 22:05:55 (permalink)
    To be an "officially recognized" fish cleaning station a "permitted" operator would be required to DO the processing. It's not just a matter of folks doing it themselves, and "someone keeping an eye on it"

Now. If you built one ONLY for the pupose of field dressing (gutting), AND the entrails were properly disposed of. That would be fine. But for full processing ( fillet & skinning ), you'd need a permitted operator doing the processing. It's about size & creel limits per species enforcement, not the disposal of the carcasses.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/24 22:19:25 (permalink)
    I can understand the size and bag limits issue, I witnessed it myself at Lampe. A few guys were out catching eyes, would come in, clean and fillet the fish. They were putting them in a cooler then going back out for another limit. One of the guys running the Marina turned them in and they were busted. What I don't understand is why it is an issue at the Marina and not at the camp ground? The camp Ground is 8ft away. Second, why can a charter captain be allowed to do it? Does that mean if he is just out by himself fishing from the dock and cleans his fish there and skins them it is ok because he has a captains document? Not trying to stir up the fish guts just curious about the overall wording of the law. Kind of like the fish police consider napping in your car in a fish commission area to be "camping"........not permitted. Just the thoughts of an old man

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/24 22:37:43 (permalink)
    "Does that mean if he is just out by himself fishing from the dock and cleans his fish there and skins them it is ok because he has a captains document?"

I can't answer to the campground. Charter captains are ALSO licensed/permitted cleaning stations. If you violate size, or creel limits, it's a fine. For a chater captain it could mean the loss, or suspenion of their license ( and income ) as well.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/24 22:50:22 (permalink)
    Thanks, I learned something about captains I did not know. I also understand the overall intent of the law. Just sayin!!

rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/25 10:21:33 (permalink)
    Never knew I was eligible for an award back at the old marina. Ignorance is bliss
    mothermoose
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/25 13:49:29 (permalink)
    Bay Harbor west has a fish cleaning station.. You could give them a call and see how they went bout it.I would chip in some $$$$$ for one @ Lampe..

MM

What's another hunded dollors,when we are spending thousands, I mean THOUSANDS.
    Pie
    Avid Angler
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/28 08:47:18 (permalink)
    We always discarded the waste in the trash outside the gate Roger. I guess I understand the logic behind wanting to see species and count, but you could easily still determine that by counting skins. Anyways, like I said, I don't expect them to change the law. But if enough of us show interest in this they may work with us. I'm sure the Lampe guys could get certified to count fish. It may even make the marina more appealing to potential tenants

Thanks Mother, I'll call around and see what I can find out.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lampe Marina fish cleaning station? 2012/02/29 17:32:54 (permalink)
    I read your post and understood it . Just do not agree with the fish cop on citing these individuals. How hard would it have been to let them know that he could cite them and they need to do things differently ?
    Jump to: