Looking for Help

Author
Splash
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/19 10:19:37 (permalink)

Looking for Help

I've been fishing the Erie tribs for Steelies for several years, but one of my biggest problems is trying to determine what the conditions will be like when I get there. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive from Pittsburgh, not to mention the gas costs. This time of the year, you can go several days without seeing a fishing report, especially one that talks about conditions. I check the Erie weather channel.com reports, and look at the Brady's Run gauge reports, but still have gotten it wrong a number of times. I was wondering if one of you regulars who lives in the area can post a regular form, updated at least every 2 or three days, giving us some idea of what we might expect when we get there. For example; how much snow is on the ground, Are the streams frozen or heavy with slush, What is the weather really doing and most importantly, what do you think conditions will be like over the next two or three days. I could go into Forums and ask this question a day or two before we leave, but that could get anoying and I don't like seeing those type of questions in "Fishing reports". Any body up there willing to take on this request or any suggestions.

I was previously registered as BigSplash, but due to email change, I haven't been able to log in under that name.
Thanks for your help.
Splash/Bigsplash

8 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Looking for Help 2012/02/19 10:45:14 (permalink)
    This will be a good one.....

Guess I'll go first -

Splash/BigSplash - there's lots of resources other than the ones you list that will give you the info you need.
    People are busy with their lives and most likely don't have the time to spend on here giving daily weather/stream reports.

I live 6 - 7 hours away and I don't care what the conditions are like when I go. I've learned that there's more to fishin than the catchin.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

PHOTOJIM
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Looking for Help 2012/02/19 10:50:58 (permalink)
    I don't care what the conditions are like when I go. I've learned that there's more to fishin than the catchin.

Now that is true words of wisdom. 

Some of my best days were days where no one else caught anything and I slammed them. If I have the ability to go fishing I do.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Looking for Help 2012/02/19 10:55:45 (permalink)
    Splash , steely34 has it right. If your looking for "perfect conditions" you will more than likely be disappointed every trip up. With that being said make the most of your trip. A good rule of thumb to follow is 1-2 days after a lot of rain it will be good and getting better. If its been cold , in the 20's, for 3-4 or more days its gonna be locked up pretty tight. If we havent had rain for more than a week its going to be low and clear. That should get you started on what to expect on your trips. Keep these things in mind and plan accordingly.

Report as of today , and I havent even been to look at conditions, I just know from experience with the weather pattern---low and clear with no snow and ice.
    post edited by deetz4352 - 2012/02/19 10:56:50

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Splash
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Looking for Help 2012/02/19 21:08:25 (permalink)
    Hey thanks deetz4352 and topdog99 for your helpful suggestions. I have called poor richards and foley's before, but really didn't want to be too annoying. The last time I was in poor richards, they got 3 similar calls just in the 15 minutes I was there. To the 1st replyer, please keep in mind I only floated this request as an idea/request. I see guys on this forum multiple times every day. I think they just like helping other anglers find success. I was hoping to appeal to them. I do enjoy every chance I get to go fishing, but since I neither rich or retired, I want to do whatever I can to maximize the potential success of each trip. That said, one of my best trips, was when I spent nearly 3 hours sitting on the bank, watching an awesome fly fisherman land 4 fish out of a secluded hole on upper elk, that I had just been through with no success. It was a great experience and I learned alot. In my 60s,I am an avid fly fisherman, but still consider myself a novice. Anyone else out there, I would still enjoy hearing from you with any helpful suggestions, or even someone willing to think about taking on this idea.

Thanks again,
    Splash/Bigsplash

What I make when I fall in.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Looking for Help 2012/02/20 10:25:42 (permalink)
    It's all in what you prefer, but usually the first few days after a high water episode tend to be the best, especially in Autumn.

During the winter, it's anyone's guess, however the most norm of the conditions to be expected are low to mid clear to green. Try not to plan a trip around when a bunch of snow melt runoff is occurring, has the potential to make the fishing very lame. When the winter temps steady out usually during the mid course of the day, that is when I have found the best fishing to be. I personally prefer fishing in low-clear water early season, September to October being the best (in my opinion) months to fish, along with March.

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Looking for Help 2012/02/20 15:36:31 (permalink)
    Luumus likes tooo only catch dee feesh in shorts
    I like neoprenses and yello rope with 70 degreeez

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Looking for Help 2012/02/20 15:57:14 (permalink)
    One thing that's really helped my success in determining conditions is to learn to read the Walnut Gauge. I personally think it's more helpful than the Brandy Run gauge, since Brandy is so small and rises and falls quickly. If you do a search on here, cbeagler put up a thread a year or two ago with pictures of Walnut corresponding to gauge height and discharge.

Generally speaking if Walnut is around 100 CFS and DROPPING, it will be about prime. At this reading, you'll generally be able to sight fish on smaller tribs, but with still good flow. Elk will be a little higher and a little more stained. I really like to fish Elk when Walnut's at about 75 and dropping because you can see some fish, but the flow is still pretty good. Again, these are generalizations and not every day will be the same and based on the conditions I prefer to fish in.

In the winter, even at the same readings, conditions tend to be different than the fall because of ground saturation and such. When there's snowcover and it's melting on tribs of the larger tribs, levels can come up and get murky pretty quick. This happened to me a few weeks ago on upper Elk. The morning was prime, and there was not much snowcover, but still a little, especially in valleys and shaded areas. But with really high temps, by mid-afternoon the snow melt was significant enough that Elk was murky and getting high. Still fishable, but not conditions I prefer.

Even when Elk and Walnut are blown, some of the smaller tribs will fish well as their drainages are much smaller. You'd do well to explore a smaller trib or two each trip up, as becoming familiar with one or more can save the day for you, as it has for me. I know it's not always fun or cheap to put time in learning new areas, but I live near the Burgh too. Believe me, it's worth it to familiarize yourself with as many different areas as you can. Don't forget creek mouths in the fall, especially when tribs are blown and staging fish are ready to run. I don't know anything about it, but I do read many reports of good steelhead catches in the Bay, especially in the winter and spring.

cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Looking for Help 2012/02/20 16:22:41 (permalink)
    Jump to: