Tiger Muskies

Author
BoroMusky
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/06 23:45:52 (permalink)

Tiger Muskies

I know that the PFBC has stocked tigers Conneaut Creek and the Kinzua Resevoir years ago, but my real question is why do they not stock them anymore and why do they not stock them in multiple bodies of water around this region.  I realize that they do not reproduce, but I personally would love to see more of them. Any thoughts or answers?

12 Replies Related Threads

PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/07 00:38:24 (permalink)
    Tigers are stocked in many bodies of water. Tigers are also cheaper for the hatcheries to raise beacuse they eat pellet food. Were aas purebred muskies have to fed live minnow becuase they do not make the transition from pellet to live food. Another thing that is appealing for the PAFBC is that tigers are a hibred which meens it grown bigger faster but doesnt live as long as a purebred counterpart. But they are starting to scale back on stocking tigers over purebreds to to releave compotition from the naturaly repoducing muskies in these waters. They are trying to make a more selfsustaining fishies and taking some of the burden off of them. I'd rather catch purbred over tigers but I woulnt pass up either!

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    muskefisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/07 16:30:37 (permalink)
    the problem with the tiger program is they stock them as fry and all they are is food for every fish in the lake. when they drained dutch fork lake in washington county, they didnt find one tiger and they stocked it for years. if your going to stock them, grow them bigger and give them a chance. what a waste of time and money.
    BoroMusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/08 13:42:38 (permalink)
    Which bodies of water are you talking about where tigers are stocked in this area. What I found was I think 2006 was last year they were stocked around here, and only in those 2 bodies of water I mentioned earlier.  I've seen and caught a few, but not in areas where they have been supposedly stocked since before 1991.
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/08 13:55:13 (permalink)
    if you go on the pfbc website in the musky section and stockings and choose a county, it lists all the lakes. they stock every year. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/08 15:25:29 (permalink)
    ...They are absolutely beautiful fish, no doubt, but I wish theyd just do away with the tigers, and put those resources and efforts into the purebreds only. They had stocked one water body in my area with them for many years, and through the years I had only caught a coupla small ones, 18 and 24 inches or so, and know of very few others that had been caught, none of current "legal" size. But have caught many more purebreds. Also some of the real avid musky hunters around here take 20-30 some or more per season in that same body of water. WIth most years ZERO tiger catches among them. That despite the fact they had stocked around equal numbers of both...slightly more tigers.. through the years. Tells me that tigers might be a waste of money.

From what I know of the muskie stocking program, it seems the previous poster is right, theyre leaning more towards purebreds. I also think PFBC in general, does a great job with the musky program.
    post edited by wayne c - 2012/02/08 15:26:57
    musky bound
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/08 16:09:46 (permalink)
    i would like to see all muskies stocked to be purebreed,just for the fact that reproduceing fish make more fish.[image][/image] there for more muskies that i would not catch since i have hard enough time catching them.i guess i need to only fish a few lakes instead of a different one every time we go. only tiger we have caught was at keystone lake,38" thick fatty and hard fighter,great looking fish.

MY FISH EATS YOUR FISH FOR BREAKFAST ! ! ! !
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/08 16:40:04 (permalink)
    Hybrid stockings in some cases can allow a fishery to be established in waters that might not otherwise support one. Populations can be more easily contolled, protecting poulation of other species natural or stocked.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    BoroMusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/09 09:24:16 (permalink)
    I have been looking on the PFBC website and can only find 2 places where they stock in Erie, Crawford, and Warren counties. I've caught my fair share of purebreds, I would just like to be able to have a good chance of running into a tiger here or there without running out to Kinzua or Conneaut Creek. A random stocking here and there in each body of water wouldn't hurt a thing or waste hardly any money in my opinion.
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 721
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/09 13:06:10 (permalink)
    Many of the local waters are "Brood stocking" waters, so it would not be in the best interests of the PFBC to put in fish that are unable to provide the reasorces to keep stocking fish.

I understand what you mean a random stocking, but that will eventually equate to man hours sorting fish from the traps nets they set to catch the fish so they can milk them. So it does not make sense to put in tigers.

A simpler example would be if you had a corn field that you plant everyyear just to harvest for the seeds so you can plant your other fields, you would not throw in the occosinal soybean row. So the lakes around here need to stay pure strain for the simple act of maintaining the states musky fishery
    BoroMusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/14 11:03:38 (permalink)
    Regardless... Me personally, would love to see them around here. Even if they were only put in non-kettle lakes or in lakes where they don't brood stock. Ex: Pyma, Wilhelm, Woodcock etc
    post edited by BoroMusky - 2012/02/14 11:26:19
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 721
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/14 12:35:51 (permalink)
    Woodcock is a brood stock lake, and Pmy is not fall under the brrod stock resitrictions, how ever they do trap net the no fishing zone to get fish for stocking... so it is almost the same as a brood stock, and not be in the best interest of the PFBC to put in tigers.

try fishing justus lake, it is relativily close

If you personally have a passion to have them stocked locally, why dont you get in touch with the PFBC. They have a office in meadville. Your ideas will not do much to get the ball rolling on the forum. Take them to the PFBC, they are the people who can do somthing about it.
    post edited by anzomcik - 2012/02/14 12:47:40
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Tiger Muskies 2012/02/14 13:51:02 (permalink)
    Piney reservoir and Kahle Lake gets tigers. Stands to reason that since the Allegheny River has naturally reproducing pike there could be some natual tigers with the muskie population though the chances might be slim. I caught a 36" tiger recently in an area not stocked with them since 2004. Could be an eight year old fish or could be too young, I'm not sure. Last year I got a 33" tiger from an area with no history of tiger stocking, not to say one didn't slip in.
    Jump to: