weekend trip ideas?

Author
Josh7388
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 344
  • Reward points: 0
2012/01/27 21:09:32 (permalink)

weekend trip ideas?

With a newer job and a little more money, I want to do alot more fihing this spring and summer and was looking for some ideas...i live 5 mins from edinboro, I fish the bay and creeks and lakes real close to me and id like to expand that to day or weekend trips to places further away to maybe some fishing opps that may not be rite around me..

9 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: weekend trip ideas? 2012/01/27 21:52:34 (permalink)
    Josh...

depends on how far you want to drive for the weekend, if you are boating, shore fishing or want to pay for a guide... and if you do or don't like any particular type of fish such as catfish or walleye or bass or panfish.

I'd look into locations on the Ohio river to travel for multi species catching, and an Ohio license is pretty cheap for a one day trip depending on what part of the river you want.
    Also don't forget day trips out onto lake Erie either local or in the Western basin. If expenses are shared by a friend or two it could make for a great weekend out. Western basin of Lake Erie should have some great spring opportunities.

If you really feel adventurous then check out the Chesapeake Bay area. Some awesome fishing and guides can be found at darn near every dock... Croaker, Blues, Spot, Rockfish and flounder can all be found in the bay depending on the time of year you visit and all can provide a lot
    of fun on a day charter. Again, expenses can be done reasonably if split between a couple of friends.

Well, those are a few of my 'far away' ideas... have fun and good luck when you venture out.

And congrats on the new job!
    Josh7388
    Expert Angler
    RE: weekend trip ideas? 2012/01/27 22:17:50 (permalink)
    I would do both shore and boat fishing, what kind of opps for catfish would there be on the ohio river?
    Josh7388
    Expert Angler
    RE: weekend trip ideas? 2012/01/27 22:18:54 (permalink)
    also what kind of opp on the western basin in the spring?
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: weekend trip ideas? 2012/01/28 00:00:41 (permalink)
    On the Ohio river you can catch Channels and Flathead catfish... also white bass, I think wipers (the white bass/striper hybrids), walleye and all the other usual suspects for decent sized rivers.

This is both in Pa and the Ohio sections of the river. The Ohio becomes a pretty big beast pretty quick after it leaves the Pittsburgh area and large fish can be found.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: weekend trip ideas? 2012/01/28 00:03:10 (permalink)
    Western basin of Lake Erie in the spring is the hot spot for walleye and yellow perch... they can be found there in good numbers before they begin their move east.

There are a large number of charter boats available, so a bit of research online should give you a great idea of choices for when/where you'd like to go.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: weekend trip ideas? 2012/01/28 11:06:53 (permalink)
    Try the Allegheny national forest area, not too far you. You have a ton of stocked and native trout streams that produce fish all year. You have Kinzua Reservoir and two rivers; the Clarion and Allegheny. Lots of fishing opps there. Probably only a little over an hour from the Boro. PM me if you want specific info.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: weekend trip ideas? 2012/01/30 09:33:52 (permalink)
    With a newer job and a little more money, I want to do alot more fihing this spring and summer and was looking for some ideas...i live 5 mins from edinboro

You could try shad fishing on the Deleware river in the spring.

They usually migrate sometime during the months of april, may, june and the run typically lasts about a month and a half.  They go about 3 - 6lbs and like to travel together in big schools, so if you get into them it can be non-stop action.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: weekend trip ideas? 2012/01/30 10:13:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Josh7388

With a newer job and a little more money, I want to do alot more fihing this spring and summer and was looking for some ideas...i live 5 mins from edinboro, I fish the bay and creeks and lakes real close to me and id like to expand that to day or weekend trips to places further away to maybe some fishing opps that may not be rite around me..

dude
    there are streams in PA that run into lake Erie
    you can fish in the streams or even in the Lake

Its the worlds greatest and most prolific freshwater fishery in the world
    check it out

track2514
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: weekend trip ideas? 2012/01/30 12:51:04 (permalink)
    You could try fishing for Kings on the Niagara River in Ontario. Based on where you live that would not be a very far trip and it is awesome hooking into a 20+ pound salmon in fast water

"The things you own end up owning you."
    ~~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Jump to: