Half full

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Half full 2012/03/02 21:39:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Think that 'already spawned' thingie is way over played. Will it be on the early side of normal- Perhaps= maybe even likely- but not well into as yet.
If I see them still spawnin in late May ( and I will) dont run around sayin it was a late spawn and if ya see some now ya dont run around yellin OHMIGOD its almost over already.
Just the edges of normalcy. When a mid August King or two show up there is always somebody yellin that the run is on and its  gonna be over soon --- Its NOT.

I think everything is early this year,

geese are flying back N,
Turkey Vultures are picking my baits clean (that's o.k., I'll snipe morez,)
Buzzards gotta eatz too.
Yotes are paired up and makin puppsters,
weeds are growing,
by bulbs are bulbin,
creeperz were creepin the other night in da swamp,
I PREDICT a bobbin robin in da yard within daze... anutter warmup PREDICTED.

SR Glass Hole - Where Fragile, See-Through Ego's get BROKEN.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/02 21:43:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: metalslayer

I predict the season will be/ is at least 2 weeks advanced this yr--ALOT more post spawn right now than in a "normal" yr---think drake might b in the $ w/ his dates---on a side note eyez got 2 golden tickets and 3 possible takers b4 Dougie's season ends(not that I NEED any more friends).

tempting,,

but I'd hate to cross the line and become a hypocrit,

so I'll be a coupla milez upzstreamz...

might as well go BIG or go home wiff SKUNK (that's a gimme either way).

post edited by draketrutta - 2012/03/02 21:50:58

retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Half full 2012/03/02 21:45:12 (permalink)
  Like the Spring in the feeders Metal and think thats where ya really see when a year is early -late  or right when ya planned it to be. Have seen times of low warm water when its over before ya even start. They tend to run in and run out real quick some years in those lower slower places.
 My favorite place was run and done real early last year too. The year before - it went on for an extra week or so. There was more snow on the ground and a colder flow later that year too.
  There fore believe it will be a bit early this year -specially  with the lack of harsh weather in the forecast. But it aint even close to bein full swing or near over yet as some rumors look like.
  Walked that place twice last week --nary a fishie yet and they always start to come in here and there a week or so before the  spawn.
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Half full 2012/03/02 22:13:33 (permalink)

Like the Spring in the feeders Metal and think thats where ya really see when a year is early -late  or right when ya planned it to be. Have seen times of low warm water when its over before ya even start. They tend to run in and run out real quick some years in those lower slower places.
My favorite place was run and done real early last year too. The year before - it went on for an extra week or so. There was more snow on the ground and a colder flow later that year too.
There fore believe it will be a bit early this year -specially  with the lack of harsh weather in the forecast. But it aint even close to bein full swing or near over yet as some rumors look like.
Walked that place twice last week --nary a fishie yet and they always start to come in here and there a week or so before the  spawn.

U gotta change places---think of ur coho this past season

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
metalslayer
Expert Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/02 22:15:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: draketrutta

I predict the season will be/ is at least 2 weeks advanced this yr--ALOT more post spawn right now than in a "normal" yr---think drake might b in the $ w/ his dates---on a side note eyez got 2 golden tickets and 3 possible takers b4 Dougie's season ends(not that I NEED any more friends).

tempting,,

but I'd hate to cross the line and become a hypocrit,

so I'll be a coupla milez upzstreamz...

might as well go BIG or go home wiff SKUNK (that's a gimme either way).

Only a hypocrite if ya pay--and I ain't really payin for the golden tickets anyway as predicted

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/02 23:22:19 (permalink)
    Could easliy be on the early what with the weather but still thinking of that daylight thingie too- It all  plays into the whole natural thing goin on .- Hope  its not too early cause lotsa guys plan their trips all year and would hate to see them come up to nada.
   Your right bout the Geese flyin - saw them last week flyin North already while drivin up the Thruway.
   Still think the guys in early to mid month ( apr) should have action and the ones who know where to go will make it longer than that. Specially down low.
     Has anybody ever seen it so early that March was the hot  time ??- Kinda doubt that happenin. I  know it can get good but NOT finito in March--
This same kinda excitement comes each year before the runs start too------
    Besides its the fishin not the fish that counts.-
post edited by retired guy - 2012/03/02 23:25:43
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: Half full 2012/03/03 06:37:57 (permalink)
I saw 2 Robins here on Wed.- called told my mom (it's a yearly thing to announce this to each other), by Friday there seemed to be a dozen around singing. Other song birds appearing too. A week or 2 and flowers be blooming here. I Loves it.

Lyrical
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/03 10:39:42 (permalink)

Only a hypocrite if ya pay--and I ain't really payin for the golden tickets anyway as predicted

very tempting, would love to catch one of BarClay's Fish (just think if it's a Magical 20#er....

I can rope it, and laugh as they ban my azzz whilst I drag it off to Fish Wish Hipzter Chick (she'z one of da cool Hipzterz up therez...)..

butt

I hate hypocritz,, free or not, it's one of the very few scrouplez I haz...
and I can't crozz dat linez especially considering how much I bash his ***********.

tanks anywayz..
post edited by draketrutta - 2012/03/03 10:40:20

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/03 10:43:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

I saw 2 Robins here on Wed.- called told my mom (it's a yearly thing to announce this to each other),

shazzoomz,,

the MEET da NEWZ BOZZ has feelings,,

or elze

he never would have shared dat

SWEET MOMMA/Sonny Boy Ritualz...

maybe this place did need a good cleanzing...

afterallz..

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/03 20:26:45 (permalink)
Report says water on the SR is still only 34 degrees--COLD
  HEY WASSSUPOPP sorry bout the shoutin- whats this talk I'm hearin bout a Brown Trout fungus affecting the stockings???? I love Browns and dont catch  them near enough to make me happy as it is.
  Yea yea I know thats my own darned fault but if somekindafungi gets involved its gonna get even tougher= I fears.
 Any educated info out there???
post edited by retired guy - 2012/03/03 21:40:27
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 05:05:52 (permalink)
The NYSDEC Rome Hatchery experienced a severe loss of Brown Trout fry due to acombination of a bacterial infection, parasite infestation, and gill fungus. Disease treatments were only moderately successful in reducing mortality, with an overall estimated loss of 74% of the fry that were hatched at Rome. Brown trout inventories at other DEC hatcheries are not sufficient to fully compensate for the loss, so it is likely that 2013 stocking numbers will be below target.

From the DEC websight

it's not lying if you believe it.
George Costanza
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 10:12:29 (permalink)
Thanks for the info--I give a lotta credit to those Hatchery folks- They IMHO do a great job and have done a great job of maintaining a tough fishery. Then -like all govt entities- they get second guessed and hounded by the masses for not doin enough sometimes- then they gotta deal with mother natures stuff too.
      Gotta remember without them there would be nothin goin on  at all.
I especially like their efforts and encouragement on the natural spawn issues-    
    From what I can gather up in  my muddled little peanut brain they have made huge efforts to encourage it.
    As I recall even the Kings had a 40% natural return this year. Certainly not any where near enough to maintain the fishery without Hatchery help but real nice to know many are Naturals now. that FIN was the first thing I looked for when fishin this year and many had it.  NICE
      Wish somebody from the Hatchery would become a regular here to explain stuff for us from a professional Biologists viewpoint. But then there would always be those who wanna fight bout what they dreamed up at the Bkfst table makin it tougher for them.
     Would be nice though to get the 'real skinny' on stuff.
post edited by retired guy - 2012/03/04 10:28:27
waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 10:35:19 (permalink)
Tough for the bio pros to come on boards.
Have to spend all their off time defending their actions to nitwits like me.

Rather than "even the Kinds had a 40% natural return", it is at least the kings had a 40% natural return.
They are thought to be far and away the most likely to be successful since they out migrate very quickly and don't have to summer over in the higher river temps of summer.

George Costanza
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 10:40:20 (permalink)
Right--
   They would end up spending all their time defending their actions to arguments.    
   When we know their actions are the best intended they can probably manage with the budgetary restraints provided ya gotta have some cooperative understandings. I'm still very supportive of what they do..
  We also must remember that the SR hatchery is undoubtedly involved with issues pertaining to the entire system - not just the SR.
   When ya consider what they have accomplished after the big drought years back when where baitfish didnt get to spawn well and bait kinda crashed they have done a great long term job of rebuilding- Recall the boats couldnt or could hardly even get outa Marinas back then.
    Hey- 40% on Kings and one bio  told me 57% on Hos-and we all see Steel and Rainbows on beds kinda regular--- Ill take it and be happy.
post edited by retired guy - 2012/03/04 10:45:41
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 10:48:00 (permalink)
mamma's hybiscus are blooming a month early.
rg- wb has the knowledge we like to learn about. Just doesn't share it often enough..

Lyrical
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 10:52:54 (permalink)
Kinda got that impression- Thats why lotsa my questions are right on topa his posts -LOL
  Hey- guy on the Whitakers thingie pictured up a 36" male from a coupla days ago.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 10:59:44 (permalink)

waderboy

summer over in the higher river temps of summer.

Lee, I know you are referring to steelhead here. My question is this: although their natural genetic code is supposed to make them do this...I often wonder about what "they" actually do... with the lake being so close, would it be that unlikely for steelhead par to get washed down to the lake? I am eager to hear your thoughts....
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 11:16:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

mamma's hybiscus are blooming a month early.
rg- wb has the knowledge we like to learn about. Just doesn't share it often enough..

no BS - I spotted firstbobbin robin on way to bakery dis mornings..

Good thing - cause itmade me feelz happy - after 3 separate sentry crows busted my azz from 400 yds away - then turned the rest of the murder southbound -

then they laughed at me,,,in Evil Crow-like fashion...

waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 11:18:57 (permalink)
Possible for some I suppose.
Have seen schools of smolt swirling down smaller tribs after flooding could have washed them down but didn't.
On the other hand I've seen keeper sized browns washed downstream for miles when a flood hit shortly after stocking.

Got no real solid perspective on it I guess is what I'm saying Dime.

George Costanza
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 11:29:52 (permalink)
Agree on some of the  things like closing feeders for Natural to occur- Can understand the desire to do that but its gotta be weighed with the fact that its still a put and take thing goin on.
  This aint some ADK stream that nobody fishes in cept for the few here and there.
    After all was said and done most of the closings didnt occur as I recall- That wire thing doesnt count to me cause nobody ever got too upset bout a bit of river bein preserved. Take a hike up there some day an its NUTS with fishes just bein fishes. Thats OK with me.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 11:37:02 (permalink)

Agree on some of the  things like closing feeders for Natural to occur- Can understand the desire to do that but its gotta be weighed with the fact that its still a put and take thing goin on.
This aint some ADK stream that nobody fishes in cept for the few here and there.

No, butt the FEECHES LENGTH > STREAM WIDTH...(those that follow unwritten code do not fish pizz trickzlerz like dat).

based on your argument, since it is PUT&TAKE FISHERY, it should be O.K. for me to go "lay it down" and lasso a few tankzterz from the hatchery ceeeeement ladder...

Sorry RT - I don't buy it - sounds like a bureaucratic response - backed up with fears of area cash register chingage goalpostz shortfallz...(a.k.a Biologists pensions).
(just readinz betweens da lines - nasty habit I'ze developed over da yrs).
post edited by draketrutta - 2012/03/04 11:42:17

waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 12:40:16 (permalink)
http://youtu.be/5LSTc-5Fn_Y
The season is spring now!
post edited by waDerboy - 2012/03/04 12:41:31

George Costanza
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 12:46:55 (permalink)
LET'S DANCE !!!!!

SR-SATZIFACTIONZ !!!!

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 12:58:42 (permalink)
MIRACLE of SPRINGZ !!!!

da DEVIL iz backz on YOU-tubtezzzz

OOOHHHH YYYEAAAAHHHH

2nd row MEMORIES still vivid from
Mr Richard'z neighbohoodz

I'ze MAY STARTZ DRINKINZ EARLY wiff this ONE!!!

waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 13:34:48 (permalink)

George Costanza
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 13:46:59 (permalink)

Only a hypocrite if ya pay

I'll takez a pass to the ceement ladder is you gotz one, Mr Slayzer..

report from "Da" Local Expert Fisher/Foto Man:

who has extreme credz, & disdain for both Barlay,Inc & LFZ Kidzterz 2..

Snagman up-to-da-minute quote:

I haven't been out myself but I had a few guys out today, alot of the river was slow they said, especially in Pulaski..... but 2 spots fished pretty good up here in Altmar, mostly bottom bouncing but a couple on floats. It wasn't very crowded but the spots fishing descent were.. Not talking about the LFz. Heres a couple pics I just took at the hatchery, its absolutely stuffed with steelhead, you couldn't fit anymore in there if you tryed...man is it wadded with fish.

Dead (soon to be filleted & released) Atlantics anyone???

I'ze gotz to make sure to pay him a visit...

always nice to BS with the non-BS typez...
post edited by draketrutta - 2012/03/04 13:54:30

salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 15:27:04 (permalink)
My mum's Flowers. Pic wiff the new camera.

Lyrical
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 15:35:28 (permalink)
Is that reel duct taped on? Really? Jeebus- that's a rig right outta the mouth breather snag happy encyclopedia.
And the loser is into killing smolts too. What a loser. Last I checked Atlantics had to be 25" to kill, and 1 a day.

Lyrical
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 15:48:02 (permalink)
Think that may have been ice those fishes were layin on. Sure aint around Pulaski.
  Understand that up in the headwaters of the Ct River on the upper lakes in Vt or NH or wherever they are the Atlantics stay kinda smallish and have lower size limits- maybe- hopefully- it was out thataway.
post edited by retired guy - 2012/03/04 15:50:02
metalslayer
Expert Angler
RE: Half full 2012/03/04 16:33:28 (permalink)
DT--u'll b sure to end the day w/ leg cramps--lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lSRISMVb_E&feature=related

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to: