Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2012/01/27 10:42:05 (permalink)

Half full

Like to keep my glass half full all the time but gotta say lately its been a chore. Some say older guys can get '****ety' and perhaps there is some of that goin on but frankly havent been too happy with the Outdoor scenario lately.
   Fish came into the SR real early this past year and then kinda  quit for a while but the 'Hordes' of fishermen came early as a result and double lined the place for an extended time in very low water conditions throughout the season.
    This with 'drought year' fish returning- hope the long term affects are not too serious. Low water and unusually big crowds made for a difficult season with tons of sidelined fish being removed and few 'biters' cause of excessive chasing. You could stand in a spot and watch the lines goin crazy below ya with each approaching fish running the gauntlet - this went on for more weeks than normal- in low water too.
   Didnt even buy Turkey or Deer tags up there this year cause my area has been pretty much a wasteland for the past coupla years for both. Thought it may be excessive logging or the harsh winter of a coupla years ago but residents here on the Forum keep saying its excessive poaching in my area. Lousy situation-----
    Similar here in CT with last year havin a record deep snow cover and clear reductions in Turkey and Deer ( which were already at a low ebb) in my places this year. Then we had a nonexistent Mast crop this year. Fortunately this year is a record breaker for lack of snow and the critters left at least have a chance--
      Turkey and Deer will come back someday but it will take them a while-gotta find some new ground both here in CT and up around Pulaski too.
    I LOVE the fishery and one a day or so keeps me quite satisfied so I'll never quit but what happened last year cant continue without HUGE impact on the long term IMHO. Not to say there  were not some real great days this past season it just seemed to be late and VERY crowded for the conditions on the water.
    A dozen miles of guys lined up on each side within casting distance of each other slashing each and every fish trying to pass by aint fishin and will destroy the place- We NEED some heavy releases during the season to prevent this from happening all season long anymore.
                 Post season depression---
post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/27 10:46:27

166 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 11:12:59 (permalink)
    RT,the fishery will be fine as long as the hatchery exists,it is a put and take thing as far as the Steel go.However,a plus for the Salmon is that they are actually reproducing wild fish,along with the stocked smolts they will thrive.
    The crowds during certain times,Columbas day and Veterans day, are insane and I'll avoid those for sure.What needs to be done is enforcement of the snagging laws and heavy fines imposed so that the snaggers get hurt in the pocketbook,then maybe they will try to FISH or stay home.However,this fishery is within close driving distance to millions so there will be lots of people,I guess you either grin and bear it or stay away.Since there are no other fisheries quite like it close to me I have to GRIN,either that or go to Alaska or somewhere far away once a year or so.
    As far as the hunting goes I gave up on that years ago but I imagine with times as hard as they are for some the poaching is a way to put meat on the table,I don't condone it but that's the way it is unfortunately.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 11:16:27 (permalink)
    Got no issue with someone havin to feed their family - HAVE issues with so many with a nice truck, snowmobile and 4 wheeler sittin in the hard next to a cooler fulla brewskis tryin to sell that line though. Its the  line heard all too often sittin at the bar next to a guy who had the bucks to get  poo faced cryin bout his starvin family.
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/27 11:18:49
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 11:32:59 (permalink)
    Having been out of work 4 weeks,I've had plenty of time to go crazier(not much else 2 do but watch outdoor shows). There's a commercial that runs quite often of a new pill that boosts testosterone levels--perhaps this may help?

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 11:38:46 (permalink)
    Kinda like to use Blackberry for that --makes ya not really care anymore--hope work picks up- lousy time of year to be stuck with not much to do. Probably never get that lucky during some kinda decent  season.
      Sometime life aint worth livin if ya cant go out and kill somethin
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/27 11:46:09
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 12:11:08 (permalink)
    Had an operation--the recovery is what's keepin me out--back on light duty Mon 

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 12:31:22 (permalink)
    Slayer,are you the guy that used to carry a basket on your back?If so I shared a few drifts with you many years ago in the DSR.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 12:40:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pafisher

Slayer,are you the guy that used to carry a basket on your back?If so I shared a few drifts with you many years ago in the DSR.

I remember that guy too jack... if that is you I exchanged a few words with you myself at the old cleaning station...had to of been atleast 10 years ago if I remember correctly....
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 12:43:55 (permalink)
    Good luck with the recovery- hope you can get fishing soon--

BTW- one real great thing did happen on the river this season- On my last trip I fished the Kiddie Pool and the 'pool captain' wasnt there. It was a nice quiet enjoyable time.--

-cept for the idiot pi**in in the water.
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/27 12:48:40
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 13:15:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Good luck with the recovery- hope you can get fishing soon--

BTW- one real great thing did happen on the river this season- On my last trip I fished the Kiddie Pool and the 'pool captain' wasnt there. It was a nice quiet enjoyable time.--

-cept for the idiot pi**in in the water.

That's hysterical Trevor...the pool captain...lmao... I imagine you're talking about either kenny or his brother??? They sometimes have that black lab with them... not bad guys ...I have shared water with them in semi tight quarters... he does talk a lot though...pool captain... hysterical
    chosenfrozen1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 13:31:00 (permalink)
    i'm not sure why but it seemed to me a lot of fish never entered the rivers.i use a hummingbird 120 portable finder from shore almost every day saw a wall of fish caught some but saw very few run into the creek.i'm not saying they didn't but compared to past years very few.i heard from a friend it was the same.i fished almost every day in oct and nov.did notice a lot of coho not as big a run of kings.i think the low water kept fish in holes and they got pounded.on the other side last years flood put all the fish up above the wire unmolested in a few days.i agree with more controled releases say 750.gives fish and men the same odds.

a jerk on one end of a line waiting for a jerk on the other!
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 14:31:03 (permalink)
    Yup on the basket--could live on the bank for a week if I had 2---PA I believe it was around the Wall Hole? and u said u were waiting for the kiddie pool to open? DB--it's possible--have talked to hundreds thru the years.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 15:21:56 (permalink)
    Chosen- my sentiments exactly -
      An odd year the way the fish ran- or didnt- The hos came in early and then never showed in their usual upriver haunts later on - many were high and dry. considering they say bout 50% of the hos are natural spawn can hardly wait to see the numbers in a coupla years.
    When the Kings ran through the gauntlet some Steel and hos were caught but never got to spawn on those low rocky areas where I generally see them up river year after year - no water.Did they move on up or get taken out before spawning??- Yes they were up in the zones but  didnt see any more than normal up there. Actually heard a lot of grousing even in the zones.
       Please dont get me wrong here- not sayin it was armageden in any way- just seemed real different--Flip side would be the year before with the big floods and so many fish coming in on it and missing the whole gauntlet thing altogether- - now thats a bright future photo--
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/27 15:31:56
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 17:37:36 (permalink)
    Well with the winter we have had so far the deer and the turkey will have and easy time with it.   The hatchery will support the fishing , if it does not the fish will dry up (and so with the people).  People cry recession and times are tough, but the simple fact is, is that many folks have more disposable income (even if it is through credit) and they spend it doing recreation activities.    Snowmobiling has gotten the same way, you cannot go out on the trails without 100's or 1000's of sleds and moguls 3 feet deep due to the fact that the groomers can't keep up.  The sleds go 100mph and every bar is packed and there are a TON of impaired people on the trails making it not only crowded, but dangerous.   More folks from out of town or out of state on the trails than local people.   Starting to sound familiar.   I got out of sledding 3 years ago.

Reminds me of the famous joke  
    What is 12 miles long and has an azzhole every 2 feet.
    The Salmon river of course.
    chosenfrozen1
    Novice Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 18:11:20 (permalink)
    i fish the salmon river + nobody next to me = ????

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 18:14:31 (permalink)
    Honestly I thought it was an epic 2011 on the SR..
    Caught awesome fish, met GREAT folks, relearned the after flood areas and never once got pizzed off..
    Maybe less time on the river "having" to put ppl on fish played in part but still,,, the fish came and we caught..

I'll chronicle the 2011 year at some point..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 18:22:42 (permalink)
    It was great for me too. BTW- I saw basket man. Slayer- get some refills, will ya?

Lyrical
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 19:07:35 (permalink)
    Hey Tuna -
      It was great for those of us with enough time on the River to know where and how with knowledge gained over years. For most of us its always great. Personally cause of the 90-10 thing I think its great just to get out  there and see fishies. Catchin is a bonus---
    Just sayin it seemed different cause of the big crowds-very low water- and real spread out run- or somethin like that.
    Think it may have been a good case for the early birds catchn the best worms this year too----

Hey Clint-
    There aint a snowmobile guy round here in Ct who hasnt heard of or gone to Tug. Dont do it myself but think there may be more of them than fishermen goin up.
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/27 19:15:40
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 19:21:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

Honestly I thought it was an epic 2011 on the SR..
    Caught awesome fish, met GREAT folks, relearned the after flood areas and never once got pizzed off..
    Maybe less time on the river "having" to put ppl on fish played in part but still,,, the fish came and we caught..

I'll chronicle the 2011 year at some point..

I'll second that......I had a very good time during 2011.....lets do it again this year :)
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 19:27:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

Yup on the basket--could live on the bank for a week if I had 2---PA I believe it was around the Wall Hole? and u said u were waiting for the kiddie pool to open? DB--it's possible--have talked to hundreds thru the years.
    [/quote

It was just below the Wall Hole,and I probably was waiting for the LFZ to open.That was a good day as we were hitting them on the good old jensen eggs,green was the color,same as today :)
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 19:30:18 (permalink)
    RT:
    Strike that... I did get bent during columbo week..
    Tried to put a friend on fish.. I hooked em' but didnt catch them.. Crowds were crazy..
    It was full swing and I was a fool..
    The browns however seemed to all migrate west.. The last 2 falls by the way.. I learned a theroy behind that as well.

Still 2011 went down in my book as Great..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    chosenfrozen1
    Novice Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 19:47:55 (permalink)
    don't know the theory but have seen it.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 20:16:44 (permalink)
    This year was alright for me. Only disappointment was the crowds lasting way into Dec. and Jan. on the upper river. Too F'in warm!!!!!! Still got fish, just had to bounce some flies off the sides of driftboats, and tug on a few bobbers.   The  early salmon  with HT was off the charts. Epic. Watchin' Jack put on a  steel and coho clinic one day was fun, too. He did give me enough time between netting his to get some of my own. Had steady days on steel. If you look at the DEC angler use study the river is getting swamped. I don't really have an informed opinion, only personal preference. I hope the remainder of the winter thins the crowds a bit.

Charlie
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 21:02:03 (permalink)
       Kinda think the low water and unusually nice weather  makes the river seem very acesable to many folks who feel they can score better under those conditions and fish in relative comfort.
     Whenever there is 1200 or more for a coupla days the parking lots seem to empty pretty well  any time of year cept for the Fall  weekends.
      That clear sky and low water level throughout this season made for some wild Forum and tackle shop reports that most certainly kept the pressure on full throttle this year.
      Clearly the fish didnt like it much as the boat guys reported them still outside for much longer than normal. That was according to the boat guys themselvs on some of their reports.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/27 21:51:55 (permalink)
    Not unemployed--work related injury and surgery---hit the ice a few times(friend drilled) and got out for steel yesterday--prob back on Mon light duty.

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Half full 2012/01/28 08:26:38 (permalink)
    2011 was great.
    Crowds didn't ever affect me where I fushed, but I opted for fushing were the crowds weren't.
    Got to fush with great people, some people I'd never met before, some I'd met but never fushed with before and some old friends.
    Only drawback was not getting on the river enough.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/28 10:50:29 (permalink)
    Perhaps I dwelled too much on the half empty part--
      On the bright side--
      Salmos back
       Metal is healing
        Tunas fishin 'hard water'.
         Not much more can go wrong with Dimes cars
          Charlies goin out ta dodge real Sharks
           Clint is still fishin the SR
        C ya at da paty

Oh yea- and Drakes lurkin in a dark corner someplace gettin ready to pounce on a snow bunny. 
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/01/28 13:22:28
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: Half full 2012/01/28 14:50:28 (permalink)
    2011 was a pretty great year for me and I think its because I got to see the river thru the eyes of a new angler. It was really special to see the look of pure amazement at the size and strenth of these fish on the face of someone that has never experianced them before, and than the "fever"  I swear it was contageus found myself calling in sick to sneak up and salmon fish. As for crowds, they continue to grow and the river does not. If people just fished right and cleaned up their trash and were a bit more friendly we would all have alot less to complain about. Tight lines and GO ORANGE!
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/01/29 19:51:56 (permalink)
    Fan- My first trip to the SR is forever imprinted in my peanut little mind. That was well over 30 years ago and remains FABULUS.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Half full 2012/02/27 22:52:37 (permalink)
         Now I know why I thought this year on the SR was different-  Not only was there low water most all season but the reports show that there was a HUGE amount of fishermen present as well. They caught about 68% of all the Sharks caught in ALL the Ontario tribs put together. Yes ALL. Near similar numbers on Steel too.
          They say the fisherman numbers are back up to those of the horrid trebble hook snaggin days of old too. They also say - that there is a very large percentage of C&R going on- now thats a new twist from those old snaggin days when most everyone kept most everything. GOOD DEAL.
         Now I know that with higher more normal water conditions those numbers could easily change but it shows the health of the fishery and the good intentions of those using it as well. NICE
       This kind of reporting by NY State will of course make the SR more popular than ever next year too- but hey - at least it aint goin away with budget cuts and the like as its also reported to be a HUGE cash cow for both the State and local economies.
      All coins have two sides-------------

BTW- that big storm that caused the New England power outage for a week or two certainly kept lotsa guys ( me too) from the SR right smack dab in the middle of peak Shark season- cant imagine what the numbers woulda been had  all those guys  been able to get up  too steada bein stuck at home.
    post edited by retired guy - 2012/02/27 22:59:41
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to: