Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm

Author
Sergeant Major
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 68
  • Reward points: 0
2012/01/15 19:39:52 (permalink)

Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm

The first stop today was right before boat launch 1 and I found the shore line to be solid. I then went out and punched a hole about 15ft off shore and found the ice to be 1 in. All my measurements are with a gauge so you know I am not guessing. The depth of water is never above my knees when I check the ice unless I have drilled holes and know I can move out farther. I drilled the hole short of the ice that has remained on since last week. I did not trust it. I then went to an area about a mile before boat launch 2 (Triple Posts) I drilled a hole about 20ft off shore and found the ice to be 2 inches thick. I went to boat launch 3 and drilled a hole on the ice at the boat ramp it was 1 inch but what shocked me is that I could reach the ice area that remained from last week and found the ice to be a little better than slush. That surprised me a lot. The snow must have insulated it and not allowed it to harden up. The last stop was at the stump area and I took one step out and went straight threw the slush without hesitation. The ice there is very deceiving. Well the ice is not ready yet but it looked a lot better than yesterday. I had a friend tell me that he saw some guys on the ice at pyme across the road from the carp feeding area. I am sending a friend that lives close by there to check it out.

21 Replies Related Threads

Sergeant Major
    Novice Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/16 20:45:37 (permalink)
    I checked the ice today at just 2 spots. The first was between the dam and boat launch 1 the ice was between 2 and 3 inches about 30 ft out. The other was between boat launch 1 and 2 (TRIPLE POSTS). The ice was thicker between 3 and 3 1/2. Getting better. Cross your fingures
    anatikus
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/17 00:49:49 (permalink)
    thanks sarge....i really appreciate the updates, but man its killing me....i just cant wait anymore

fish heads fish heads rolly polly fish heads
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/17 05:48:23 (permalink)
    Yes Sarge, thank you for keeping us posted. Maybe I'll see you up there soon!

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    Sergeant Major
    Novice Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/18 21:08:11 (permalink)
    I was very reluctant to check the ice. I was hoping for a miracle. The lake was up over a foot and there were large spaces of open water. I was crushed and knew this would at least take 3 days to recover the loss if the weather stays cold. I’m a true die hard and will continue to check and pray. Good luck and keep your hopes up.
    Sergeant Major
    Novice Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/19 16:08:16 (permalink)
    Today around 11:00 am. I checked the lake and found it completely iced up again and the water level starting to go down. A very good start. I will keep an eye on it. We have a very good chance of fishing on Sunday.
    anatikus
    Expert Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/19 16:40:47 (permalink)
    thats some good news....still might wait another week though. i dont mind falling in, i just dont want to lose any gear...lol!

steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/20 18:13:05 (permalink)
    do you guys fish wilhelm often? i fish the stumps alot from my kayak in the fall but have never went out on the ice... any tips? good spots? gonna head over tommorrow evening to an old road bed ive trolled for walleye a couple times... if the ice is thick enough of course gonna give it a go
    Sergeant Major
    Novice Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/20 18:38:06 (permalink)
    Today’s check of the lake showed improvement once again. I checked the ice at three different locations between boat launch 1 and the causeway the ice was between 2 and 2 ½ inches and felt really good under the feet. I went to boat launch 3 and was amazed there was human tracks heading out onto the lake and I could see places that holes were drill almost half way across. Somebody was fishing !!!!!! I went out about 30 yds and checked the ice thickness was 3 inches of good ice. I drilled about 4 more holes going towards the middle straight out from the launch and found that each time I checked the ice was 3 inches. I then proceeded to the parking area right before I-79 and busted through the edge ice. I got on top of the ice about 3 ft out and drilled a hole and the ice there was 2 ½ inches. I drove over to the stump area but did not walk down to check the ice. I talked to a gentlemen that told me there was 3 Dutchmen shanties on the stumps the night before but they could only get on the ice by walking over the hill from the dirt road south of the lake at the closed gate. Ok I’m getting excited now!!!!!!!!!
    Sergeant Major
    Novice Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/20 18:53:14 (permalink)
    Steelhead 1994

I lived beside Wilhelm pretty much my whole life and caught a lot of fish out of it. Besides ice fishing I love to troll for eyes. Wilhelm is not my first choice for eyes. I prefer Erie, Pyme and shanango. I have seen some really nice eyes taken out of Wilhelm in the last few years including a 30 inch. I do plan spending more time chasing them at Wilhelm in the future. I just need to find a consistent pattern. All the spots I would recommend to try ice fishing are not fishable right now due to ice thickness. But that road bed you are thinking about should be real good especially on the edge of it.
    steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/20 22:34:25 (permalink)
    cool... thanks, ill let u know if i do any good... wont get out till 4ish, hopefully the ice thickens up a bit by then
    steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/20 22:39:20 (permalink)
    p.s. i normally go trolling for eyes in the spring and early fall b4 the weeds get too thick... normally troll about 12ft and do pretty good on chrome blue hot-n-tots then take a pink sharpie and color in the lip in seems to work pretty well... crappie and largemouths love em too :)
    Sergeant Major
    Novice Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/21 16:58:18 (permalink)
    Today’s ice check took place between 3 pm and 4 pm. The first spot was just before boat launch 1 were I found 4 inches of ice 15 yards off shore and were the snow is covering the ice 30 yards out it was pretty consistent at 3 inches.

The next stop was at triple posts just before boat launch 2 they ice there was kind of disappointing I expected more than 2 to 3 inches 20 ft out.

At boat launch 2 boat ramp the ice was 3 inches

Boats launch 3 was 3½ to 4 inches pretty consistent 30 yards out.

The stumps had 2 shanties (Dutchmen) fishing the south side of the island. I decide to take the long walk in to find out just how thick the ice was. When I stepped out on the ice and drilled my first hole it was 4 inches the second hole out towards the 2 shanties about 20 yards from the first showed the ice at 2 ½. I was surprised and figured it to be a fluke but the next hole came up with only 2 ¾. The men fishing out of the shanties were another 100 yds out. The ice in some places was very nice under foot but other places there was slush of about 3 inches before hitting the good ice. I will be checking again tomorrow and hopefully I will be able to give you a fishing report
    steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/22 16:03:40 (permalink)
    hey i went out by the stumps and busted thru right as i was drilling to check the thickness luckily it was only waist deep... so i went to check out kahle... it was wery solid at about 4.5 to 5.5in everywhere i checked... caught 3 crappie and 1/2 a dozen gills... guy i was talking to said the crappie rlly turn on about 10:30... gonna have to go check it out
    Sergeant Major
    Novice Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/22 19:03:08 (permalink)
    I am very happy you’re alright. I guess I just got lucky last night when I drilled the holes down by the island and saw the thickness. I sure am glad I decided not to chance fishing with my son. I went to the lake tonight about 3pm and took all my gear with me. I was down next to boat launch 1. I drilled my first hole about 15ft from shore and found 4inches but as soon as walked on the snow covered ice and drilled it was only 2 ½ inches I tried again but the results were the same. Well I got some practice loading and unloading my equipment tonight. I wonder how much the next 24 hrs are going to set us back.
    anatikus
    Expert Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/22 19:14:31 (permalink)
    that sucks hard.... i keep having a dream that im drilling a hole, ....bust through and the power auger gets hung up on my leg and drags me to the bottom. its not a cool dream at all.

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/22 21:51:29 (permalink)
    Are you serious? ROTFLMO! I'm sorry, but that's funny! I needed a good laugh. Thank you. I'm glad I'm not having that dream, and I hope that nothing like that ever happens, but when I read it, I lost it. LOL! I thought I had some messed up dreams...
    ORIGINAL: anatikus

that sucks hard.... i keep having a dream that im drilling a hole, ....bust through and the power auger gets hung up on my leg and drags me to the bottom. its not a cool dream at all.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    anatikus
    Expert Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/22 22:48:25 (permalink)
    well, im glad my pain amuses you..lol! honestly, its better than the one i had last year...... last years had to do with the ice breaking on a snow covered pie crack directly under my suitcase style hut.....the hut collapsed in on me and dragged me to the bottom...... not cool at all.

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/23 08:34:48 (permalink)
    Wow! You must have some very primal fears about falling through! I had a dream last night that I was in the NEIT tournament on Kahle (Feb 5) and I drilled a hole full of fish. I was the first person there. Then I realized that I forgot some equiptment and while I went back to my truck to look for it, everyone else showed up and took my spot and I didn't have anywhere to fish. I woke up at 4:30AM, all upset because people stole my hole! I guess I'm a little anxious about the tourney. LOL!
    ORIGINAL: anatikus

well, im glad my pain amuses you..lol! honestly, its better than the one i had last year...... last years had to do with the ice breaking on a snow covered pie crack directly under my suitcase style hut.....the hut collapsed in on me and dragged me to the bottom...... not cool at all.

Sergeant Major
    Novice Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/01/28 19:37:09 (permalink)
    I took a ride over to the lake today. I had to work up the nerve. I am so tired of being disappointed with the ice. There was still ice from boat launch 1 to the dam but after that it was open water. The extended forecast shows cold weather coming. I will let you know when its on again
    Sergeant Major
    Novice Angler
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/02/15 21:29:33 (permalink)
    I finally got on the ice today fishing!!!!! My wife is happy also. Let me explain. I have been watching the ice closely on WIlhelm or better yet the lack of. I have noticed a area by the Dam that was froze before the last cold front today with most of the lake wide open I decided to walk across the dams breast works and check this ice out. The water gets really deep fast on that side of the shore line. I drilled my first hole just 5 ft off shore and found 4.5 inches of ice. I got really excited and proceeded to drill holes father out and up the shore line the ice on every hole was between 3 inches and 4 ½ but I did not make it more than 30 yards off shore because it seemed to get thinner the father out you got. I was far enough out to be sitting on 4 inches of ice in 23ft of water and was marking fish. I started fishing at 3pm and quit at 630pm. I caught about 50 mostly crappie with a couple of perch and blue gill. The biggest crappie was 12 inches and I caught 2 11 inchers and the rest were less than 10 inches. I did loose a couple that I new was keepers. The main thing is I was fishing on the ice. I will be going out again in the morning.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1160
    RE: Update on Ice Check Lake Wilhelm 2012/02/15 23:40:36 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you finally got out and had a busy day reeling in fish.
    Jump to: