Alabama/umbrella rigs?

Author
frost
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 437
  • Reward points: 0
2012/01/11 19:12:43 (permalink)

Alabama/umbrella rigs?

I had seen on a fishing show and a post on another forum and made me think.

Would these rigs be legal in pa?

With the law of no more than 3 hooks per line I'm guessing the whole thing would not be, but rigged the way they have them it's actually one main lure with a "bait" attached to it. But the ones I'm seeing are rigged with 5 swimbaits or such. I'm thinking for it to be legal in pa it would have to have no more than 3 attached to it but it doesn't have in the regulations as to how many hooks a single lure can have. All I see is where it states "a hook with 2 or 3 points is considered one hook". With no maximum actually stated per lure I'm not positive. I think it would be fun to throw them when the crappies and such are crashing bait fish.

So what do you all think? A single main lure with 5 swimbaits legal or not?

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!

7 Replies Related Threads

anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 721
    RE: Alabama/umbrella rigs? 2012/01/11 20:43:04 (permalink)
    I offten wondered that, and i say there is no foul with them. As long as you have no more than three lines in the water (under your control) and less than three hooks per bait containing no more than three points per hook you can have the kitchen sink on the other end of your rod as long as you follow the rules
    mymuskyateyourbass
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Alabama/umbrella rigs? 2012/01/11 20:43:59 (permalink)
    Rule is three hooking devices per lure/device on a line/rod.  You can have 5 swim baits per rig so long as there is only 3 that have one hook.  The rig ties to the line and is considered one device, three baits rigged with one hook each and two "teasers" (hook removed) should be legal.  If all 5 lures had one hook or multiple hooks I am sure the warden would not approve.

Regardless of the number of points one hook is one hook.... be it single, double, or treble.      Sabiki rigs are legal in pa so long as you cut them in half, giving you only 3 hooks.  When fishing a Rapala F-18, F-13, or F-11 you have three hooking devices on one lure, adding an additional trailing hook for short strikes would make it illegal. 
    post edited by mymuskyateyourbass - 2012/01/11 20:47:04
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: Alabama/umbrella rigs? 2012/01/11 20:59:48 (permalink)
    That's what I was thinking. Pa needs to allow these things. My luck I would get every hit on the teasers with no hook. I may have to try it come spring when they're chasing bait. Only problem would be the weight of it. A heavy musky rod would have to be used to cast it and there's no fun in catching crappie on a musky rod. I'll have to try and build my own with light weight tackle to use a lighter rod.

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Alabama/umbrella rigs? 2012/01/12 19:54:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mymuskyateyourbass

Rule is three hooking devices per lure/device on a line/rod.  You can have 5 swim baits per rig so long as there is only 3 that have one hook.  The rig ties to the line and is considered one device, three baits rigged with one hook each and two "teasers" (hook removed) should be legal.  If all 5 lures had one hook or multiple hooks I am sure the warden would not approve.

Regardless of the number of points one hook is one hook.... be it single, double, or treble.      Sabiki rigs are legal in pa so long as you cut them in half, giving you only 3 hooks.  When fishing a Rapala F-18, F-13, or F-11 you have three hooking devices on one lure, adding an additional trailing hook for short strikes would make it illegal. 

This sounds good, but to be sure, call the fish warden. They're the ones that going to nail you.
    XtopwaterkingX
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Alabama/umbrella rigs? 2012/01/13 20:04:20 (permalink)
    Bass Assault makes a 3 arm version in 3/8 oz for 13 bucks
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: Alabama/umbrella rigs? 2012/01/13 22:55:13 (permalink)
    Guys are gonna tear up some good brushpiles with those things. You know you'll have to use a super braid to fish them.
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Alabama/umbrella rigs? 2012/01/14 16:06:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chauncy

Guys are gonna tear up some good brushpiles with those things. You know you'll have to use a super braid to fish them.

My thoughts too. This is something more for the open water of Lake Erie than the smaller lakes.
    Jump to: