Tamarack ice

Author
Pachuckles
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/29 20:31:08 (permalink)

Tamarack ice

I went to Tamarack Lake today. There was about 1" of ice on the south end. The lake is compleatly iced over but the next 3 days and we'll lose that.
The forcast for mid January looks real good. We should be fishing Tamarack or Sugar Lake by then.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

29 Replies Related Threads

ToothyCritterGitter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Tamarack ice 2011/12/29 20:42:54 (permalink)
    yaaaaay that is my first stop on the crawford musky tour...
    NeFiShNeTiMe
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Tamarack ice 2011/12/29 23:41:58 (permalink)
    Nice atleast we can get on the hard water!!!

""THERE’S NOTHING LIKE A SMALL MOUTH ON A STIFF ROD""
    Pachuckles
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/13 14:06:30 (permalink)
    1/13/12 Tamarack Lake ice report.....1:45 p.m.

Cochranton end had open water yesterday around concrete tower and some places off Springs Road.

Also the boat launch on other side (Meadville end) had open water.

I checked Cochranton end 3 inches of ice...used my 6 foot spud bar to bust through, some darker spots showed along the shore line that had been open water yesterday skimmed over today.

There's very little snow on the ice....lake drawn down about 3 feet.

I would be very careful and check the ice using your spud bar if you plan to go out before Monday.

BE SAFE....NOT SORRY

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
    Ymesss
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/13 20:26:59 (permalink)
    Crazy cochranton local yocals.... ;D

ORIGINAL: Pachuckles

1/13/12 Tamarack Lake ice report.....1:45 p.m.

Cochranton end had open water yesterday around concrete tower and some places off Springs Road.

Also the boat launch on other side (Meadville end) had open water.

I checked Cochranton end 3 inches of ice...used my 6 foot spud bar to bust through, some darker spots showed along the shore line that had been open water yesterday skimmed over today.

There's very little snow on the ice....lake drawn down about 3 feet.

I would be very careful and check the ice using your spud bar if you plan to go out before Monday.

BE SAFE....NOT SORRY

Pachuckles
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/14 06:25:55 (permalink)
    I resemble that remark.

Yep...local dude...not too far from Sugar Lake either.
    May check out Tamarack this afternoon.
    Just maybe catch a few Perch.

nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/14 06:30:46 (permalink)
    I'm still plowing-out.. Thinkin sunday.. NW/

Fish On !!!
    ToothyCritterGitter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/14 10:21:38 (permalink)
    I plan on fishing musky with tip ups, pachuckles, care to join me? i have all the tipups and quick strike rigs ready. fish finder, etc.. even have a picture of the lake when it was drained. i want to get out sunday, but doubt if it will be safe. if it is , please let me know! also if you want to join up!!
    bigbob
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/17 19:06:40 (permalink)
    saturday, saturday, saturday............i know there is fishable ice there. if anybody wants to join us, let me know.
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/19 16:39:59 (permalink)
    read a report on iceshanty that the lake had some fishable ice. i might try sunday or monday.

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    ToothyCritterGitter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/19 17:44:30 (permalink)
    i will be there sat afternoon if it's safe.
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/19 17:49:20 (permalink)
    any updates or info you can give would be great i have never fished there but i will be at my grandfathers in pymi.

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    ToothyCritterGitter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/19 17:56:33 (permalink)
    u got it
    nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/19 21:01:16 (permalink)
    Check Out The PA ICE FISHING thread on here...NW/

Fish On !!!
    ToothyCritterGitter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/21 19:11:01 (permalink)
    Fished the afternoon on the south end. Lots of guys out. Tip ups as far as the eye can see. No muskies. If you want a dry run, go have at it. If you want to catch fish, wait for the next lake to open up.
    mupearha8ter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 10:05:26 (permalink)
    Nothing like having idiots set up in the middle of your tipup field.  I was rapidly reminded why I enjoy fishing from my boat way more than ice fishing.  I hope the rain melts all the lakes so I can get the boat wet next weekend!
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 11:27:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mupearha8ter

Nothing like having idiots set up in the middle of your tipup field.  I was rapidly reminded why I enjoy fishing from my boat way more than ice fishing.  I hope the rain melts all the lakes so I can get the boat wet next weekend!

Well Mup.....when you have very few options for safe ice, and 40 people trying to fish (and claim stake) on 1 acre of a 550 acre impoundment, things get tight. I was out there....and very well might have been the one who walked through and set up in between your tip-ups. There were many groups of people out and tip ups everywhere, I could not tell who's was who's.......next time, have enough balls to come and say something. Big talker on the IE eh....little man on the ice eh.

If you were the one using plain wooden tipups....I very well could be the guy your looking for...and calling an idiot. Next time grow a sack and say something.....

When you set up tip ups 20-30 feet apart around many other people....expect that it is going to happen.

Lot's of people and good company, with the exception of this douch apparently.

Other than that, I had a blast. Friday night was great for small crappie.....Saturday mornign had an agressive 4" bluegill bite, Satuday night actually picked up a couple 8-9 inch crappie, missed a ski on a large spoon on Sunday morning. Talked to alot of people and everyone was just out enjoying time with their friends and family.....and some nice fish caught for Tamarack.

It was nice to get out and I only encountered one person who acted like a fool....it was a guy and his little kid (drove a white sunbird). Everyone else was parking appropriatly and he decided to just park right behind everyone. I about took his door off when I backed out. He was also screaming at his little boy cause he lost a cleat on the ice. Well Dad, teach him to put them on correctly and it wouldn't happen. He certainly got my vote for Dad of the year.....
    saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 12:18:52 (permalink)
    1 acre on 550. Well I guess that leaves you 549 acres to fish and you set up in the guys tip ups. Nice. I guess that manners and common sense are things of the past.
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 13:00:03 (permalink)
    That's all that had safe ice to fish on. Had the whole lake or other lakes been safe it wouldnt have been like that. 95% of those guys probably have never fished there before but wanted to get out on the ice and when they see it's safe ice on all these different forums they flocked to it.

It's the same as Pymy in the spring when it's the only place to catch and keep walleye. There's people that only fish there because of that reason it's the only place to cure cabin fever and keep fish.

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    ToothyCritterGitter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 17:25:02 (permalink)
    DRIVES A SUNFIRE AND DOESN'T TEACH HIS KID TO LOSE STUFF BEFORE HE HAS IT FOR 5 MINUTES. MY KID SOMETIMES HAS HIS HEAD UP HIS****AND FOR AN 11 YEAR OLD, TYPICAL. YOU DON'T MAKE A MAN OUT OF A KID BY BUYING HIM ANOTHER SET OF CLEATS WHEN HE LOSES THE FIRST IN 5 MINUTES... YOU WOULD'T KNOW A THING ABOUT BEING FATHER OF THE YEAR. AS FAR AS PARKING, THERE WAS PLENTY OF SPACE. DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE CAR PARKED BEHIND ME. I SUGGEST YOU YAP ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE FISHING.
    bigbob
    New Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 17:51:04 (permalink)
    WOW the last 4 posts...............hey, we have all been there. relax. hey toothy, did you have any luck? i wanted to try tamarack saturday, i was told that it would be a zoo. so i went up to sugar instead.
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 18:05:44 (permalink)
    imma gunna **** some more!!!
    ToothyCritterGitter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 18:16:19 (permalink)
    well i can't speak for the whole lake, but the far south end seemed to have no fish, bait... had fish finder going, marked nothing, had a big spread out. maybe when another part of the lake is safe, but i'd find a different lake to try. with tip ups as far as the eye can see, and no legit flags, it was a dry run.
    mupearha8ter
    New Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 19:12:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BASS ACKWARDS

Well Mup.....when you have very few options for safe ice, and 40 people trying to fish (and claim stake) on 1 acre of a 550 acre impoundment, things get tight. I was out there....and very well might have been the one who walked through and set up in between your tip-ups. There were many groups of people out and tip ups everywhere, I could not tell who's was who's.......next time, have enough balls to come and say something. Big talker on the IE eh....little man on the ice eh.

If you were the one using plain wooden tipups....I very well could be the guy your looking for...and calling an idiot. Next time grow a sack and say something.....

When you set up tip ups 20-30 feet apart around many other people....expect that it is going to happen.

I set my spread out well before everyone else showed up.  Like i said bring on the open water! 

bigbob
    New Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 19:22:55 (permalink)
    hey mup..................i think you would really enjoy fishing for steelhead at walnut creek on the weekend. lol
    mupearha8ter
    New Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 19:27:50 (permalink)
    I usually sit in the bushes on the lower end with a 12 pack and my camera and photograph people keeping snagged fish and call the warden over. 
    NeFiShNeTiMe
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/23 21:47:08 (permalink)
    Well now I think your both being ****s now . . just forget about it its fishing supposed to be FUN if your not having fun don't ruin it for every1 slse. And practice your good sportsmanship especially if there are kids around. . . .

""THERE’S NOTHING LIKE A SMALL MOUTH ON A STIFF ROD""
    anatikus
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/24 01:47:41 (permalink)
    dude said sack......lmao!

fish heads fish heads rolly polly fish heads
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/24 16:51:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BASS ACKWARDS

I set my spread out well before everyone else showed up.  Like i said bring on the open water! 

Sorry Mup, it got hard to find a place to set up away from people on that little bit of good ice. Sunday afternoon was better, at least people were venturing up the lake which gave more room for you tippers. I walked through and around a ton of tip-ups across from the parking area (east side). Too little area, too many people trying to get to a certain spot....it was frustrating.And like normal, my son was just following my path on the ice.

TCG (AKA Toothycrittergetter).....your right...not my job to give you parenting advice. It reminded me of myself 20 years ago when I very little patience for my son and how I thought he needed to grow up. I am happy that he is grown now, and doing well, but I still wish he was a little boy again.....I'm just not sure that he would be happy to be around me back then. We can both agree that I was a ****

Anyways, how is the ice on Tamarack ? Temps not so favorable during the days, but some colder nights. Would love to be able to get to my normal spots before Feb....but the roadbed might be mud by then if they still plan on "weeping" the lake. It's shallow to begin with.............Might take a drive over there tonight to check.
    ToothyCritterGitter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tamarack ice 2012/01/24 17:32:50 (permalink)
    LET'S STICK TO FISHING. BE SAFE ALL.
    Jump to: