suggestions on trolling gear

Author
STEELESLAYER
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/12 15:56:50 (permalink)

suggestions on trolling gear

Heres my situation I have a 17' outboard and I am slowly trying to have it equiped for trolling before spring. I will be doing most of my fishing on Pymatuning or shenange but will take the occasional trip to erie. I believe I have decided on 4 okuma 30D reels 8'6" to 10' rods. I will probably have small planers to run along with something deep. I do not yet have Downriggers but those are on the wish list. Any suggestions or know what works for my situation? I want to stay versitile for fishing the lakes close to home but be effective at erie.Whats best to run for line, should I use leadcore since I do not have downriggers? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

JAY

9 Replies Related Threads

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: suggestions on trolling gear 2011/12/12 16:34:25 (permalink)
    imo those okuma rods are like telephone poles. also, imo if you want to fish all the lakes including erie without buying extra equipment, you could go with a BWD 9' ungly stick. its light action 6-20 lb rod but is strong enough that you can use it with dipsys, flatlining, leadcore, braided line, planers, etc... imo, riggers are nice but not needed. some will suggest differently but i still run fireline and a seaguar fluoro leader, however, gamma is a great line also. you could also rig a couple reels with steel line and go that route, too. lots of possibilities to run all the lakes on limited equipment, especially if youre only fishing erie occasionally. again, jmo. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    Lovgren69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: suggestions on trolling gear 2011/12/12 16:43:43 (permalink)
    The easiest thing to do would be to buy an assortment of Dipsey Divers. These are simple, but very effective planing devices that help you to get your baits down. They come in an assortment of sizes, but I would make sure that you have some of the size 0 [you will here these being refered to as medium or cookie dipseys] and size 1 [large dispeys]. The ones that I'm refering to are the ones manufactured by Luhr Jenson; however they are other similar ones out there. Here's an illustration if your not familar with what I'm talking about.

http://www.straitlineanglers.com/Articles/Depth_Chart_For_Diving_Planers.htm

The dipseys are most useful for lake Erie, they are not as practical or useful on small impoundments. They can be used, but when you have flucuating bottom contours they are more of a hassle than anything. The medium dispeys will dive to about 35-40 ft, and the larger ones can get your baits down to 75-80ft. They publish dive charts which you will need to consult when using dipseys. Another thing to remember when using dipseys is that they pull substanially on your rod, so you will want solid rod holders and rods designed for this application.

With the design of the dipseys, you can only run shallow running baits with them, i.e. worm harnesses, shallow stick baits, spoons. Deep diving crankbaits do not work in conjunction with dipseys.

Having a smaller boat, you would probably be well served purchasing a set of inline planers. They are very versatile and can be used on Erie and elsewhere effectively. The easiest way of achieving depth with your lines on the boards is to use either snap weights or inline weights. Once again, there are charts that approimate how much weight will obtain greater depths. Your only limiation on the in-line planers is that they can't support much more than 3-4 ounces of weight. Anymore than this and your boards will lag way back and tend to submarine.

Anyways, hope that helps a little...
    post edited by Lovgren69 - 2011/12/12 16:45:38
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: suggestions on trolling gear 2011/12/12 17:08:48 (permalink)
    Put the downriggers way down on your list. Dipsy divers, snap weights and planer boards are more important. Get yourself a copy of Precision Trolling Deep Water Edition, it will help immensely in setting up your spread as far as getting depths close. I have a bunch of cabelas trolling combos and have been happy with them. Spool your dipsy rods with 30# Power Pro braid. Get ready because this stuff is addicting...

Get good solid rod holders, they have a lot of pressure on them when you're trolling and even more when a monster fish hits...
    post edited by bulldog1 - 2011/12/12 17:10:13
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: suggestions on trolling gear 2011/12/12 17:14:51 (permalink)
    Have to agree with the others. For your situation, downriggers would be the least useful piece of equipment on your boat.

Uless of course you also have a rubber "trolling" frog.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: suggestions on trolling gear 2011/12/12 17:36:18 (permalink)
    I agree as well. Save your money and get a good planer mast and boards instead of the riggers. I like the Okuma Blue Diamond rods...I'm not a fan of the slightly cheaper Okuma Classic Pro's. For reels, I would spend the extra $$$ and go with the Convectors instead of the Magdas. 30 series will handle a full core of lead, but not by a ton. Lovgren's advice on dipsey's is good. On Erie you'll primarily use size 1 Large dipseys, but you may want to run size 0 smalls in the spring, or when the 'eyes are suspending below 40' or shallower. And since you'll be trolling Pymy, you may want a couple 3/0 mini or cookie dipseys.

I also agree about good quality rod holders and the Troller Bible (Precision Trolling).

Welcome to the madness!

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: suggestions on trolling gear 2011/12/12 18:21:07 (permalink)
    As for Pymy, best bet there is an assortment of Bottom Bouncers (3/4 oz- 2 oz ) run Crawler Harnesses 4-5 feet long, 30lb Braid on any 7ft Medium action rod.

Alot of timber in Pymy and it likes to eat dipsys, torpedoes, and other assorted expensive tackle. Although I have seen quite a few guys running planer boards there.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: suggestions on trolling gear 2011/12/12 18:55:48 (permalink)
    Steelslayer...

These guys have it down...and downriggers are probably the least used equipment on our boat unless we are out deep on Erie in late summer. Or if you are planning to go to Lake Ontario or other much deeper lakes.
    For our purposes we also spool up with the #30 power pro on our rods,(backed with a heavy and much cheaper mono). Change out leader lengths and strengths based on your target species of the day and water clarity.
    Make sure you spool your rods in pairs or groups, if you put the same amount of each type of line on each reel then your counters will allow you to truly replicate a depth that is working. We have all of ours in 'pairs' since it's usually two of us fishing, and one goes on each side of boat. If the rods themselves match then you can see that they bend the same way if set back the same with your set ups... it allows you to notice quicker if one rod is maybe bent over a slight bit more or acting 'different' if you get a small fish hanging on or even a bigger fish who is still following along and not fighting yet.
    Check the accuracy on your counters, if the spool isn't filled with the right amount your distance will be off. A foot or two over 50 ft may not be a big deal, but often it can be much greater, and if you have 200ft+ of line out it adds up quick.
    For most of our depths adjusting we are also on the dipsy and snap weight bandwagon... invest your money there for versatility first.
    Many other threads with a lot of great advice in the archives here... have fun reviewing some of the older threads and good luck.
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: suggestions on trolling gear 2011/12/13 15:39:21 (permalink)
    I agree on most of the advice given regarding dipseys, in-line boards, snap weights, and line. The Precision Trolling book is a must. I personally would not use a planer mast and big boards with a 17" boat. In-line boards are much more practical, plus you can use them in the smaller lakes. Strong rod holders are very important. Stay away from plastic, basically you get what you pay for. I have Cisco rod holders and they are the cats meow, but also expensive.

Good luck! - Feel free to PM me with any questions.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: suggestions on trolling gear 2011/12/15 20:40:41 (permalink)
    i agree with the ugly sticks.

riggers are the most expensive and least used gear on my boat. used them twice fhis year for lakers in the spring.

dipseys,snap weights and in lines are all you really need.
    Jump to: