made it out just in time

Author
Riverbum
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 294
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/23 15:56:01 (permalink)

made it out just in time

After experiencing yesterday's rain and looking at the gauges when I got home,I'm glad I walked out of Elk when I did. Fished four different sections and landed at least 2 per, but late in the day I was downstream from Folly's when the rain hit hard. Water was creeping up, but the fish were hitting and I kept telling myself I had time even though it was getting tough to see. Water that was at my ankles when I walked in, was above my kness walking out and moving pretty fast. From where I was fishing I needed to cross the stream three times to get out, not fun. I think the water came up more than a foot in an hour. I'm glad I left when I did. Sorry, no pics 'cause I did a header on the way out and ruined my phone.

Anyone ever get trapped and have to take a detour to get out?

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

5 Replies Related Threads

moedude
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: made it out just in time 2011/11/23 16:31:58 (permalink)
    Got caught in the last heavy rain on upper elk. Stream blew out in about 20 minutes. My buddy and I had a quarter mile walk downstream and then had to cross. Tried 6 different spots and kept sliding on the flat mossy bottom. Started to worry then we saw a buck come down the hillside. He looked at it for a bout 20 seconds,picked his spot and slowly crossed. We decided he was smarter than us so we crossed where he did. It was very cool.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: made it out just in time 2011/11/23 18:31:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Riverbum

Anyone ever get trapped and have to take a detour to get out?

Yup , wasnt fun to say the least. Just have to make the right decisions when taking that detour whether it be crossing the crick or walking through the woods , up cliffs , cause the wrong decision could be your last. 

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: made it out just in time 2011/11/23 19:59:36 (permalink)
    Been there and done that. Got caught on a spot on Elk with the water coming up and realized I couldn't make it back across to my car only 75 yards away. Took to the woods, brush and weeds with nearly a half mile walk ahead of me to the nearest bridge and then back again.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    gymi03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 336
    RE: made it out just in time 2011/11/23 20:25:55 (permalink)
    Ever been lost in a HUGE patch of Mountain Laurel at night??? NO fun!! I imagine its about the same feeling of being dam near helpless on the streams with rising water.
    post edited by gymi03 - 2011/11/23 20:26:49
    camemup
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: made it out just in time 2011/11/23 20:43:51 (permalink)
     loganwade or kreamy has a pretty funny video of a situation like this.. please post it

Jump to: