Getting deep

Author
PoddyMullet
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/20 14:56:06 (permalink)

Getting deep

Hi all, I'm new here and chasing some info on what I know as paravanes but think you fellas call divers. It's kayak fishing for me, and I'm used to using the Fish Seekers made by Davis. They'll run down to 80ft, but trip out with bib style minnows so need spoon style or Tassie Devil winged style lures. I see there are other styles of divers in the FishUSA shop, what experience have people had with each brand of diver in terms of pro's and cons (including brands not listed in the shop)? Any tips on using divers effectively? Does color make any difference? Thanks for any opinions, info is intended for a yak fishing review on paravanes/divers.

One of the international blow ins!

14 Replies Related Threads

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2085
    RE: Getting deep 2011/11/21 08:53:27 (permalink)
    Not sure there's many people out on lake Erie trolling in kayaks. But do a search on this site and I'm sure you can find lots of info on various styles of divers. I'm just guessing but I'd think I a yak, snap weights might be the best bet to get down quick and stay there. Good luck, by the way where are you fishing and what for?
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Getting deep 2011/11/21 10:48:13 (permalink)
    i run dipsy divers by luhr jensen and deeper divers by walker.  I fish normally for salmon on lake ontario but do alittle bit of walleye fishing on erie. I use size 0. Early in the year/spring time i run braid line when the fleas come out I switch to wire line. Wire line will get your divers DEEP. I can fish mine over 100 ft where youd never come close with mono and not quite as deep with braid. It is also easier to pop the dipsy with wire you just have to do your research if you go with wire it isnt as user friendly as braid. Run a mono leader the length of your rod from your diver to lure. Colors dont really make a difference for walleye but I still run watermelon color and greens and blue. If you are concerned about color they make clear slide divers (im sure walker makes them too) but with a slide diver you can put the diver 50 feet ahead of the lure so it doesnt "spook" the fish. slide diver makes clear divers.  Alot of people troll lake ontario in kayaks for trout and salmon. There are other options to get your line down but I dont know if many walleye guys are into it but we use copper line for salmon with my 400 ft copper i can get down to about 90 ft (21 ft down @2.1 mph or something along them lines) also lead core line with all walleye fsherman use it isnt as heavy as copper but gets down. If you go with leadcore or copper run about a 30 ft mono leader to the lure

PoddyMullet
    New Angler
    RE: Getting deep 2011/11/21 15:05:06 (permalink)
    Hi fellas, thanks for your replies...others are welcome to share their thoughts.

FishinGuy, I sometimes use a small sinker a rod length above the lure for bibbed style minnows to get them a little deeper. Also I'll sometimes use a metal slug style lure minus the hook to get bibbed minnows down a little more, but I'm keen to nut out divers a bit more. The species I target (I'm an international freeloading blow in from Melbourne Australia, so ya better keep an eye on ya beer fridge) are in my photo gallery, and a slow stealthful troll can pick up most excluding our gummy shark, ray and skate species, and/or King George Whiting...but I'm happy to baitfish for those lines of scaley sea monkeys.

dewey123, thanks for the info on copper line. I use braid as a main line, in part due to achieving better depths but also due to less line twist issues than mono (when bait fishing I revert to mono). I'll have to give copper a go. What style lures can you run with Walker divers and Luhr Jensen Divers? Can they run bibbed minnow style lures or do they trip the diver out? The slide diver looks a cracker for some of our species here which seem to get spooked by divers close to lure presentations, so I'll have to break open the wallet for a couple. Does anyone else use the slide divers and what style lures can they run? Are U Charters slide divers theonly version made (I couldn't find Walker slide divers)?

Thanks again fellas, your responses were much appreciated!

dewey123
    Avid Angler
    RE: Getting deep 2011/11/21 22:18:50 (permalink)
    I thinik slide diver is the brand. walker deeper divers and luhr jensen dipsy divers are the same kind of diver with different sizes to get deeper or shallower smalled diameter to be more stealthy. You can adjust the tension on the divers heavier or lighter depending what your using. I run spoons, stick baits and flasher fly combos (for salmon) you can run worm harnesses off them as well. Every one that trolls uses dipsy divers (walker luhr jensen or slide divers are all comonly refered to as dipsys) Braid is fine to run as a mainline (wire line is also used, multi strand not single strand torpedo makes a good wire line but you have to put a twilli tip on the rod to keep the wire from sawing through the last eye on your rod) Also pulling dipsy divers you want a long rod with some backbone. gander mountain makes good affordable dipsy rods. i prefer 9'6" or 10'6" rods and I have MH action because I mainly fish for king salmon. Copper line is used as a flat line like lead core not to be used with dipsys.  You can buy dipsys at most fishing stores depending on where you live or im sure fish usa has them here to but it is nice to hold them in your hand and check them out in person before you order them online. There are also jet divers out there that people use...i dont use them i think theyre junk but that is my preference.
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    RE: Getting deep 2011/11/21 22:20:04 (permalink)
    check out slidediver.com these are what im talking about
    PoddyMullet
    New Angler
    RE: Getting deep 2011/11/22 14:06:56 (permalink)
    Good onya for ther info dewey123, thanks for sharing ya dipsy insights! Trolling dipsys in Aust doesn't really receive the attention it deserves, most will have a down rigger on a boat or nothing. There are a couple of basic paravanes sold locally, but really not the range you guys have. Nothing wrong with shopping online, but if the product isn't available in Aust it pays to seek the knowledge of fellas like yaself who can steer me in the right direction about which item to purchase.

Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Getting deep 2011/11/22 15:53:36 (permalink)
    Welcome to the site Poddy! Probably 90 out of 100 boats on Lake Erie, will have Dipsey Divers onboard. They work really good for Walleye.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    RE: Getting deep 2011/11/23 00:05:44 (permalink)
    dipsys are great to use especially if you are limited on space. let them out slowly. I loosen my drag on my reel and let it pull itself out slowly. if you let it out too fast you can get a tangle  plus letting it out slowly you can also catch fish while doing so. Check out luhr jensens and walker websites and slide diver for depth charts to determin what diver you want. I run wire on some of my divers because it can acheive a greater depth than braid because it has a smaller diameter and has a smoother texture. the approximate depth calculation for wire is about 1:2 (1 ft deep for 2 feet of line out where braid is like a 1:3 ratio) I can get my wire divers to about 100 feet down with a size 0 diver. Also flatlining coppers you have to let them out slowly as well or you will tangle. check out www.atommiktrollingflies.com      S they sell copper setups there click catologs and scoll down to miscellanious and copper loaded reels. I forget who else makes the coper line (opti might be the name) i think it is 21 feet down for every 100 feet out at 3.1miles per hour. the faster you troll the shallower the line will run the slower the deeper. let me know if you cant find any info on this ill PM you a website. they also make mag rings for some brands of dipsys that will add greater depth but i have never used them
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Getting deep 2011/12/01 16:35:33 (permalink)
    I kayak fish and have used some smaller dipsy divers to get more depth out of spinnerbaits. I was trying to move fast and with my 12' kayak I got a ton of drag from it. I don't mind trolling Legend Plows (12",10oz,3"+ deep lip) in my kayak so I think there must be more drag created by the dipsy diver. I scrapped the dipsy presentation in 2008. Not afraid to push myself but it was just not practicle for me.
    PoddyMullet
    New Angler
    RE: Getting deep 2011/12/02 14:14:10 (permalink)
    Thanks again dewey123, I've done a bit more research. Ya info and efforts are much appreciated!

Hi bubblegumworm, thanks also for your input. I'm wondering what speeds you troll at? And how'd ya get the name?

bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    RE: Getting deep 2011/12/08 16:45:59 (permalink)
    Depending on the bait maybe 5 mph but I don't know for sure as I don't have a gps. I'm usually faster then boats on electric motor lakes. Fall and winter are awesome as I go just fast enough to keep the lures moving once water is below 50 degrees F.

The name is a good steelhead bait. Other names taken and I figured no one else thought of this. Made me laugh.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Getting deep 2011/12/09 16:22:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bubblegumworm

Depending on the bait maybe 5 mph but I don't know for sure as I don't have a gps.

Are you trolling for muskies?

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2085
    RE: Getting deep 2011/12/10 07:55:06 (permalink)
    I kinda thought the same thing. Or tuna... About 1mph for lake Erie walleye trolling dipsy's and riggers.
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    RE: Getting deep 2011/12/12 13:26:06 (permalink)
    trolling for muskies.
    Jump to: