Kayaks on Elk

Author
Riverbum
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 294
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/18 19:27:28 (permalink)

Kayaks on Elk

Ok, so I was fishing downstream from Folly's on Wednesday and two guys with kayaks came sloshing by. As they went past me dragging their sleds I couldn't help but bust out laughing, and of course, that got me the "it's legal as long as we're floating" line. Even funnier since they were walking. I've seen a number of threads on here of folks arguing about navigability, just never thought I'd ever see someone actually try. I'm sure they did quite a bit of walking.

Anyone else see these guys?

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

12 Replies Related Threads

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: Kayaks on Elk 2011/11/18 19:41:37 (permalink)
    that got me the "it's legal as long as we're floating" line.  Even funnier since they were walking.

Sounds like it's actually legal but not to fish.  I always thought you could fish non-navigable water while floating, but guess not.  This is taken right off of the PFBC's web site for non-navigable waterways:

Can a riparian landowner prevent members of the public from fishing or wading in a non-navigable water?
    Yes.

Can a riparian landowner prevent the public from boating or floating in a non-navigable water?
    No, because there's a navigation servitude that gives the public the right to use the water for purposes of navigation only. This servitude does not extend to fishing.

Can a riparian landowner string a cable across a non-navigable waterway?
    Yes, as long as:
    1. the landowner owns property on both sides of the stream; and
    2. the cable doesn't interfere with navigation.
    However, from a liability perspective, it may not be a good idea.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/public/faq_public_waters.htm
    post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2011/11/18 20:02:30
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kayaks on Elk 2011/11/18 20:13:10 (permalink)
    Yes, I know, except you're trespassing if you step out. The topic of navigability is in the "dead horse" category. Just thought it hilarious to see guys trying.

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Kayaks on Elk 2011/11/18 21:14:47 (permalink)
    Two fellows in kayaks came past me on Walnut on Tuesday. One time several years ago, four kayakers ran the chutes on Walnut, right past me then also. One of the guys on Tuesday had a helmet-cam.

Fishmonger
    thephildo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Kayaks on Elk 2011/11/19 18:15:35 (permalink)
    I was there too riverbum. Thought the same thing to myself when I saw them walking with the yaks.....all I thought was "really?". I got a good laugh out of it.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Kayaks on Elk 2011/11/19 18:55:54 (permalink)
    Last year I was fishing 20 mile and 2 guys came down in kayaks and one had a helmet cam on, bet it was the same guys.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Kayaks on Elk 2011/11/20 00:09:53 (permalink)
    I kayaked Elk from the Legion to the access last April. Was a blast.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    ngski
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Kayaks on Elk 2011/11/21 10:42:00 (permalink)
    I know those guys, they are from Ohio, I will let them know about the no fishing from a kayak. They checked out the section we use to have permission from the land owner to fish. One guy got a couple the other was skunked. I thought for sure the fish would be in thick in that section, but since Elk was running a little high fish were probably still scattered and on the move.
    post edited by ngski - 2011/11/21 10:44:28
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Kayaks on Elk 2011/11/21 11:02:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ngski
    ... I will let them know about the no fishing from a kayak...

you can fish from a kayak... just not in private sections
    also in those sections, tresspassing would be anytime they come in contact with the bottom... boat or body
    so it sounds like a really bad idea

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Kayaks on Elk 2011/11/21 11:10:00 (permalink)
    you can fish from a kayak... just not in private sections
    also in those sections, tresspassing would be anytime they come in contact with the bottom... boat or body
    so it sounds like a really bad idea

Prior to reopening, the wire that ran over the Little J definitely interfered with navigation...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    The Kayaker
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    kll; 2011/11/21 20:34:56 (permalink)
    o
    post edited by The Kayaker - 2011/11/21 20:46:07
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Kayaks on Elk 2011/11/21 20:58:39 (permalink)
    I was fishing the pool below the campground yesterday, and saw the strangest thing. There was a Ranger 621 with 250 hp jet engine on the back! I think they were buzzing up stream at about 65 m.p.h.
    Shortly after, I saw them troll past me. They were running a Dipsys and large treble program. The boat would sound a horn when trolling in front of anglers drifting a program, so the anglers would reel there program in. That's was very sportsman like of them. I would hate to see that boater get some line stuck in his engine.
    They were sure not to play the fish too long and, they didn't even photo the fish before they revived them for a perfect release.

Do you guys think that jet engine had an affect on the bite?

What's the h.p. restriction on elk?
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kayaks on Elk 2011/11/21 21:16:51 (permalink)
    Is that an "o" for Otis?

Though you probably trespassed a few times during your " float", it is still mostly a free country. I suspect you dragged those suckers as far as you floated. Just found it rather funny given the conditions.

~by Henry David Thoreau~

Jump to: