Night fishing for steel

Author
pwk5017
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/17 19:59:03 (permalink)

Night fishing for steel

I plan to fish the erie tribs on saturday, but I work out of coraopolis and I am done with work around 4, so I am thinking I can be on the stream at or a little before 6pm. I have a headlamp that is pretty **** bright, but I am looking for favorable locations to fly fish at night. Would I be better served to fish near the mouths? I am just looking for a decently open area to get some casting in, have a good shot at hooking up with something, and have legal parking within a half mile/mile. Is fishing for browns and steelhead effective at night? I was skunked last time up(which was my first time in erie) so I am anxious to hook into some fish this time around.

29 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/17 20:18:40 (permalink)
    Fish can be caught at night. Use black flies, preferably a wooly bugger or some sort of black ugly streamer to create more of a blocky shadowy appearance in the water. Slow stripped and or "pulsed" where you know there are fish holding. I am too lazy to check but I believe the only tributaries that are open to night fishing are Elk, Walnut and Trout Run within 50 yards of the mouth, If I was going up to fish at night I would say that your best bet would be Elk access area.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/17 20:23:56 (permalink)
    Now if the pig pen was open, I'd see ya there.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/17 21:27:06 (permalink)
    Fish will shy away from a bright light or lantern!

God does not take from your life, the time spent fishing!
    pwk5017
    Novice Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/17 21:41:59 (permalink)
    Will they really? I thought bass gathered near dock lights at night? My head lamp is 3 leds that are pretty freakin bright, but the red ambient light setting is very diffused and not direct or bright.
    pwk5017
    Novice Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/17 21:42:47 (permalink)
    Wait, you can ONLY fish the mouths? That doesnt really make sense, why are the streams closed at night? Does anyone enforce this?
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/17 21:51:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pwk5017

1. Wait, you can ONLY fish the mouths?
    2. That doesnt really make sense, why are the streams closed at night?
    3. Does anyone enforce this?

1. Read the regulations in the Fishing Digest or on the PAFBC website about where you can and cannot fish at night in Erie, and what hours are restricted. Spelled out very clearly.

2. If you were a landowner, would you want people going in and out of your property all night long? Make sense now?

3. Try it out and let us know what you can get away with.

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/17 22:03:54 (permalink)
    I personally would stick to the mouths...its kinda dangerous to venture upstream at night in the cold. One slip, light falls off, waders fill up, lose your gear and maybe more. Not worth it to me. There's daylight hours and safe places to fish at night already mentioned.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    pwk5017
    Novice Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/17 23:00:27 (permalink)
    Ok, for everyone's info, you can fish until 10pm. You cant be on the streams between 10pm-5am, so that is fine for me, I hope to be in bed by 10. Looks like I will be heading to the mouth of elk or thereabout. Thanks for the comments, guys. I really expected more worthless posts like rsquared, so I consider myself very fortunate this evening.
    deerhuntingpa
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/17 23:22:05 (permalink)
    north of rte 5 after ten till 5 in the morning mouth of elk would be your best bet lots of room good parking area and if you walk more than fifty feet from the parking lot you should be alone
    Pro Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/18 09:12:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pwk5017

I really expected more worthless posts like rsquared, so I consider myself very fortunate this evening.

Don't really understand how it was worthless If you read the regs in the book or on the PAFBC website, it gives you exactly the answer to your first question. Would you rather depend on a bunch of anonymous guys on a fishing board or what the law says?

Here are the regs, straight from the PAFBC website: http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/lakeerie.html

Special Regulations - Lake Erie Tributary Streams

From September 6 until the opening day of trout season in April, all Lake Erie tributary streams are closed to fishing from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. on the following day except for Walnut Creek north of Manchester Bridge Road and Elk Creek north of Route 5.
    It is unlawful to fish from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. on the following day within 50 yards of the mouth of both Trout Run and Godfrey Run while fishing the Lake Erie shoreline.

As you can see, there are two sections of stream open to fishing from 10 PM to 5 AM, and the entire shore of Lake Erie is open except for the restrictions listed above, and where access is otherwise prohibited at any time. As others have mentioned the safety issue, there are usually a few folks around these areas at night. You can also now fish in the Walnut Marina, which is well lit at night, though I'm not sure how good fishing is there or how effective fly fishing would be.

As for your second question about why they are closed, if you were a landowner would you really want people on your property at all hours of the night? I wouldn't. If you like the idea of it being a safety issue for fishermen, that works too.

I'll admit the third answer was a bit cheeky. But why would you ask it if you weren't thinking of doing it anyway?

post edited by rsquared - 2011/11/18 11:50:38
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/18 11:28:51 (permalink)
    Don't put light directly put light on fish light tippets with streamers have worked good for me at night. However, you might run into sNaGGERs spooking all the fish. At 4 mile the other day 6 Russians leaving the creek before 7am all had their limits and had spoons under floats with 20+ pound test ridiculous
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/18 11:36:18 (permalink)
    No need to fish with a light on "all the time" Just use it to tie up, rebait etc..... make sure to turn away from the water when using it.

Also, I carry an emergency whistle in my vest in case I slip, fall or whatever. Can't depend on cell phones. You can use the whistle to TRY and signal for help if needed.

BorgCollective
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/18 13:55:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: topdog99

Is there anywhere safe to drink beer and nite fish?

jist askin'

Yes, there is.
    In the showers at University Park!

Yes, we are still here!
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/18 14:51:40 (permalink)
    i find it very safe to fish all night while drinking beer out on the rocks of the susquehanna...heck thats half of my summer
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/18 17:19:27 (permalink)

Don't really understand how it was worthless

LOL..i saw that and was thinking the same thing.
    duud asked for info and you gave him the straight scoop

sum duuds iz a mite tad sensitive...or wound too tight,  i reckon

..L.T.A.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/18 17:48:24 (permalink)
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/18 20:05:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fish whisper

Don't put light directly put light on fish light tippets with streamers have worked good for me at night. However, you might run into sNaGGERs spooking all the fish. At 4 mile the other day 6 Russians leaving the creek before 7am all had their limits and had spoons under floats with 20+ pound test ridiculous

Yeh, saw those guys too. I was coming in at sunrise, and they were leaving with 12 fish. What upset me also was that they brought the fish back, had two cars, left in one with the fish,and left the other there. Which means, they were probably coming back for 12 more.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/18 23:28:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

Yeh, saw those guys too. I was coming in at sunrise, and they were leaving with 12 fish. What upset me also was that they brought the fish back, had two cars, left in one with the fish,and left the other there. Which means, they were probably coming back for 12 more.

Ok, u both saw them....so did either of you call the fish commission?!!!

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/18 23:34:12 (permalink)

Oh my

fishin is sooooo dangerous
    wear a bullet proof vest to

hunters will be out and its hard to see at nite

LOL where are you guysz fishin/?
    maybe the state should make nite fishers wear PFD

I fish at night confidently...in the right place. Walking pitch black streams with moving water and varying depths, big rocks and slippery spots is not my cup of tea, light or no light. Clearly you are stronger, tougher and braver than me. I feel small just typing this message. Maybe ill go play in a padded room with a helmet on.

The dude was asking for some tips on night fishing. So that's what he got. Some folks are more cautious than you, but im sure we are being unreasonable. Cause no one has ever slipped and fallen in before during the day right? And it gets easier to walk around at night of course.

wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/19 00:28:50 (permalink)
    One might be a tad confused by the law when it states such in it's booklet and then posts signs at the Walnut Access that state that the area closes at 10pm. Silly, silly law. They wouldn't want you to get hurt while ,dangerously, fishing at night. Then you couldn't go to work, they wouldn't get any tax $ from ya, and they'd actually have to pay out disability to ya. You'd become a burden to society and they can't have that... or maybe it's society that can't stand the thought of someone getting hurt. Who knows?

For the braver, more rebellious types night fishing for teh Steel works just fine. They will bite all the same. Use bait or dark flies ftw. They will scatter/spook around bright light so just use it to tie up. Red light doesn't spook them and reflects perfectly off of an orange float.  

Be careful for the sake of the disheartened folks. Also because you'll probably get a fine after the hospital trip. 

I'd rather be fishin...
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/19 01:26:36 (permalink)

Is there anywhere safe to drink beer and nite fish?

jist askin'

WII
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/19 01:43:35 (permalink)
    " then posts signs at the Walnut Access that state that the area closes at 10pm."

I believe those signs are refering to the area above Manchester road. And the REASON that area is closed, is due to landowner complaints. Angler activity at night got neighborhood dogs fired up, and disturbed the homeowners. Of course I guess some people think that 7 hrs. of peace is too much for them to ask for

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/19 12:27:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fisherofmen376

ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

Ok, u both saw them....so did either of you call the fish commission?!!!

I didn't see them snagging. What was I going to tell the WCO? I wo have called them when I've actually seen folks snagging. I have the number on my phone.

Did you read my post? I saw them leaving. I didn't think the WCO was going to stake out the car. Last time I called them they were too busy to do anything about my report.

post edited by FiveMilePete - 2011/11/19 12:30:26
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/19 13:32:20 (permalink)
    I did read the post. If you saw a bunch of guys at 7am with their limits, spoons, floats and heavy line, it might benefit to
    call the officer to notify. Kinda like seeing a shady dude with a ski mask on hanging outside a bank. Something the authorities might want to know about so they can pursue it. Maybe the WCO would have hung up in you because he was too busy and you didn't witness the snagging. But maybe they would have kept their eyes peeled for a potential group of snaggers and caught them in the act.
    All that said, it's easy for me to say someone should have done something sitting in my chair. If I was in your shoes maybe I wouldn't have called either.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/19 13:42:30 (permalink)
    I'da laughed, and said "Fish all male, no caviar for you"

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/19 19:07:54 (permalink)
    . If you saw a bunch of guys at 7am with their limits, spoons, floats and heavy line,

believe it or not, a light bulb just went off at the thought of that.

if you've chucked enough junk at fish, you know speed of retrieve or drift can make all the difference in turning chases/looks only into hits/bites

a spoon under a float not only  allows an angler to slow  his retrieve that would otherwise hang/snag  up on the bottom....
    but also an erratic retrieve  like a crank and stop , crank and stop retrieve.
     that  would allow  the spoon  to "flutter"  down and swing back up

hmmmmm

..L.T.A.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/19 19:24:10 (permalink)
    Now I know why they are phasing out certain lightbulbs

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/19 20:33:13 (permalink)
    I saw them come back around 2 or 3 WCO was already down there posting new signs and watching he said there was no real proof they were snagging
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Night fishing for steel 2011/11/20 19:13:42 (permalink)
    Correction upon closer observation. The sign does say , in sharpie, that the area closed is  "above Manchester Bridge". Fish on! Here we thought we were bootleggin' it.  We've been having some fun nights fishing the Walnut Access. Lots of fish working their way in and up through the area the past few saturday nights. There's usually more guys on the wall than in the creek after dark.
    post edited by wrighter00 - 2011/11/20 19:21:12

I'd rather be fishin...
    Jump to: