Very Light Line Needed

Author
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/13 11:26:44 (permalink)

Very Light Line Needed

Made the trip up to fish Elk this past Fri/Sat with a friend hoping we could catch a couple fish in the super low/clear conditions.  Fri morning my buddy had landed a couple and had several other hookups, before I was able to get a single hookup halfway through the morning.  He was using a 3lb Maxima mono leader, and I was using a 6lb Seaguar fluro leader which I use to swear by in low clear water.  However, this time I noticed fish going at my minnow and then at the very last second veering off to the side and not biting.  After getting schooled for a couple hours; I changed my leader to 6x (3.7lb) Seaguar fluro tippet and in no time at all I had a few hookups and landed a couple. 

There was no doubt, 6lb fluro was just to heavy for the conditions, as we were both using the same bait with the same presentation.  We ended up Friday fishing till we couldn't see and having a banner day, with both of us landing many steelhead on less than 4lb leader and seeing only a few other anglers the entire day.  If i would have kept my 6lb leader on, I probably would have maybe caught one or two all day.  So stay away from the crowds, don't be afraid to go really light on your leader, and just keep your drag turned way down to prevent break-offs. 

Hope dis helpa somebody!

28 Replies Related Threads

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/13 12:00:54 (permalink)
    Guess I didn't give a Sat report.  Saturday we only caught a couple, but didn't fish nearly as hard and did allot of exploring.  Checked a place up high on crooked in the afternoon and found a few fish in areas where there wasn't a single footprint around anywhere.  Sure is hard casting in around all those trees in the water though, and I usually have no problem casting under undercut banks or in around a tree in the water.  Crooked would fish much better and be an awesome steelhead stream if about 2/3s of the trees were cleaned out.  I know it gives the fish good cover, but it's a little excessive with allot of sweet holes being totally covered and pretty much impossible to fish at all.  Still a pretty cool stream to walk once in a while when the crowds get out of control elsewhere though.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/13 12:29:57 (permalink)
    Told him I'd never heard of 12x....He said it came from Japan....I have a hard enough time with 8x, don't need to increase the misery.

Yeah but he most likely wasn't catching steelhead with 12x though.  I just googled "12x tippet" and found that it's mainly just used with light 1 - 3wt rods.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/13 12:49:46 (permalink)
    To get the diameter of any "X" designated tippet, you subtract X from 11 and multiply by .001.
    So 12X would be thinner than .000
    So 12X can't physically exist.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2080
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/13 12:57:49 (permalink)
    Leader that doesn't even exist!? That's exactly what I need! That would keep me from putting a fly into the back of my head every time I try to get the flea pole back out and give it another shot! Seriously though, there have been plenty of days where suspended fish will dodge shot free 4lb flouro when the bait is bouncing bottom.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/13 13:30:21 (permalink)
    To get the diameter of any "X" designated tippet, you subtract X from 11 and multiply by .001.
    So 12X would be thinner than .000
    So 12X can't physically exist.

Once you get into .003" diameter at 8x some companies go to a smaller finer tuned scale that ranges between .003 - .002 and goes up to 12x. 
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/13 18:06:05 (permalink)
    Just my opinion, but for the most part. If they ar5e moving out of the way of your line, you were about to line them anyway.

I've caught plenty of fish in the lowest, and clearest of conditions. Never using less than 6LB line, leader, or tippet.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/13 18:35:45 (permalink)
    Just my opinion, but for the most part. If they ar5e moving out of the way of your line, you were about to line them anyway.

Spoon, they were not laying there still and moving out of the way of my line, and I don't line fish!  These were active fish chasing each other around not just laying there still.  They were chasing after my actively retrieved minnow and then seeing my line at the last second on a few occasions and dodging it like a baseball player stopping a swing half way through.

Within 10 or 15 mins of changing my leader, I hooked a couple and landed one.  Maybe it was just a coincidence.  I'm sure I would have caught a few fish eventually using the 6lb, like I always do, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have caught as many as I did through out the entire day.  Having my friend there at the same time hooking up when I wasn't, seeing them chase and then dodge my line, and then catching several fish in a row right after changing my leader made a believer out of me though.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/13 21:23:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: chartist1

I was fishing 10 lb tippet a couple weeks ago in the gin clear water of 20 mile creek and got plenty of bites.

Or was it 20 lb. tippet in 10 mile creek?
    CroatianSensation
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/14 06:49:06 (permalink)
    I used 8lb flouro all weekend....15+ to the bank yesterday....You don't ever need anything less than 6lb IMO.
    BLOODandGUTZ
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/14 07:50:19 (permalink)
    I used 6lb mono yesterday and caught plenty of fish.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/14 09:12:47 (permalink)
    I used 9.2 lb monofilament in low clear conditions with a single egg and various jigs.  Caught fish.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/14 09:19:30 (permalink)
    Yeah I've never had any issues with 6lb in the past either.  Maybe they were just being territorial and chasing my minnow out of their area with no intention of taking it, kind of like they were doing to the other fish around them.  I've never seen them chase down my minnow and then just swoop off to either side at the last second like they were doing all morning Friday though.  I still think it was odd that my buddy was hooking up all morning, and then minutes after changing my leader seeing them start taking my minnow after chasing it down instead of swooping off to the side.  I really can't figure it out, other than that they were seeing my line at the very last second. 

Anyone have any other opinions other than that you caught plenty of fish on 6lb+ line this last weekend? 
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/14 09:26:01 (permalink)
    It's more than likely a confidence/technique issue. And I hope the flossing comment wasn't directed at me... I've caught plenty of fish on low clear days that I've seen them dodging my line(vertical line from float down to shot that is bouncing bottom). Some fish are just more spooked/previously caught(snagged) than others. Negative fish will dodge/run from just about ne thing. No problems w neutral/active feeding fish.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/14 10:00:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteelSlayer77

Yeah I've never had any issues with 6lb in the past either.  Maybe they were just being territorial and chasing my minnow out of their area with no intention of taking it, kind of like they were doing to the other fish around them.

Duud. It's really not rocket science.  The fish were looking at your offering and just not taking it.  Once they decided they wanted to take it or after seeing it enough times that they got sick of it, that is when you started catching fish.  Usually when you are fishing a minnow or jig the fish are taking it out of reaction, you have to get them interested in hitting by showing it to them in a consistent manner until they simply cant resist.

thatshouldhelpa

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/14 10:57:10 (permalink)
    The ol' **** em off technique. Def works well w flashy jigs in the low and clear. Don't know why I haven't tried it with live minnows.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/14 12:59:44 (permalink)
    Once they decided they wanted to take it or after seeing it enough times that they got sick of it, that is when you started catching fish.

I guess so.  That's a heck of a coincidence, but apparently no one thinks that the line made any difference at all so I'll take it for what it's worth.  Just can't figure why my buddy was hooking up right next to me the entire time with the exact same set up (other than a lighter leader) and exact same presentation casting to the same pod of fish.   My presentation is consistent, I make at least a dozen trips up for steelhead a year and have been fishing minnows for trout on a regular basis for over 25 years.  
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/14 14:13:21 (permalink)
    Yes, sometimes that does happen to the best of us.  Our fishing buddies are catching and we are not.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/14 14:37:53 (permalink)
    "I've caught plenty of fish on low clear days that I've seen them dodging my line(vertical line from float down to shot that is bouncing bottom)."

Of course it couldn't be that "bouncing" shot that turned them away. Or the un-natural drift of you bait as a result of that "bouncing" shot. Had to be the line.

That is not to say line size ( dia. ) has NO effect. But that effect, is more about how it affects the action of say a jig, or the drift ( drag ) on a fly or bait. Not so much the "visibility" of the line. At least not when the rest of the rig is set up for proper presentation. The difference between 10-12lb & 6lb can be significant in regards to presentation. Between 6 & 4Lb, I don't think very much on most steelhead baits. Now if you're using size 22 midges, then maybe.

In most cases though, with most anglers, and baits. Going from 6lb to 4lb, or lower, only results in more overplayed fish, "decorated fish", and pizzed off neighbors. Not more fish.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/14 18:44:12 (permalink)
    Point taken spoon. I totally agree in most situations. I was just referring to one particular case where I was targeting deeper fish at the tail end of a hole and noticed suspended fish mid hole dodging the line under the float. It's also completely possible though unlikely considering the relationship of the float to that particular fish that the line bumped him, that spooks em every time.
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/22 17:08:03 (permalink)
    I never use less than 6 lb fluro or mono and catch plenty of fish. Obviously there are times I will get outfished, but I generally think it is another problem, not the line. Just a quick side note, I live in SW-SC PA, and one local fishery that I fish on a several day a week basis has some mammoth wild browns. Now these are not pounded all that hard, because there are not alot of them and most wont go through the effort to fish for them, but they are as wild and ornery as any fish I have ever seen. I use 8 lb consistently in this area due to conditions, and each year usually get a few in the 27"-29" range. I have tried lighter here, and never seem to get anymore strikes. Just my .02.
    WG666
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/23 10:57:10 (permalink)
    Thats called lining
    WG666
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/23 11:03:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

"I've caught plenty of fish on low clear days that I've seen them dodging my line(vertical line from float down to shot that is bouncing bottom)."

Of course it couldn't be that "bouncing" shot that turned them away. Or the un-natural drift of you bait as a result of that "bouncing" shot. Had to be the line.

That is not to say line size ( dia. ) has NO effect. But that effect, is more about how it affects the action of say a jig, or the drift ( drag ) on a fly or bait. Not so much the "visibility" of the line. At least not when the rest of the rig is set up for proper presentation. The difference between 10-12lb & 6lb can be significant in regards to presentation. Between 6 & 4Lb, I don't think very much on most steelhead baits. Now if you're using size 22 midges, then maybe.

In most cases though, with most anglers, and baits. Going from 6lb to 4lb, or lower, only results in more overplayed fish, "decorated fish", and pizzed off neighbors. Not more fish.

I have to disagree a little here....If I chum singles in gin clear water, all eggs are eaten up immediately. When I cast with an egg on a sz 16 hook with 4 pd flouro, 3/4 of the fish that approach veer off or bump the egg with their snout but dont inhale......theres always a dumb one or two around that takes, and I have to say, I rarely break a fish off using 4 pd.....landed a 12 pound hen on Elk this year on 4.....in clear conditions, I easily outfish guys with 6 pd flouro or higher! Just saying.........
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/23 12:10:21 (permalink)
    You chum the water?????

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/23 12:13:36 (permalink)
    I always use 6 pound fluro in all conditions no problem
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/23 12:51:30 (permalink)
    I wasn't talking about needing light line in all conditions, I only ever use 6 & 8lb fluro when the water is up.  I was talking about fishing upper Elk when conditions were super low and clear and the Walnut gauge was at 20cfs.  The fish I was casting to were in bigger holes and most were wearing all kinds of jewelry and very spooked. 

This past Sunday I was up in the same area again, Walnut gauge was around 30cfs and conditions were low and clear.  I used 6lb Seaguar fluro for half the day, and yes I did land 3 or 4 fish on the 6lb, in a half day of fishing, which isn't that bad.  I switched to 3.7lb Seaguar fluro for the other half of the day.  Fishing the same pods of fish with both lines, I hooked up and caught more than 2 times as many fish on the 3.7lb. 

Yes maybe the fish just turned on more while I was using the lighter line, and it was another huge coincidence again.  But I'm sold and don't care what people have posted on this thread.  I've had more people PM me telling me that I'm right on target using 5x & 6x in those conditions for highly spooked fish, than the number of people who posted publicly on this thread saying to never go below 6lb. 
    post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2011/11/23 12:53:37
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/23 13:12:13 (permalink)
    Hey man, if it's working for you keep doing it.  Nobody is telling you what is right and wrong.  Those dark fish can be smart as the season wears on, any advantage helps.
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/23 14:06:41 (permalink)
    Steelslayer - I was just giving you my experiences, not saying they are right or wrong. if you feel more confident with the lighter stuff, by all means keep at it. Another belief i have is that when you are confident in something, you probably will do better with that no matter what because of the increased focus/effort you will put in when using something that you are highly confident. Good luck on the water man.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: Very Light Line Needed 2011/11/23 15:05:33 (permalink)
    You're right those dark fish can be smart, there not all that dumb after they have been caught before and have people over them all day long every day.

Not all the fish are dark up that far though, caught this nice chrome and a couple smaller ones way up high on Elk last weekend.  These two are going into the smoker tomorrow for Thanksgiving.

Jump to: