Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bigsmof
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 12:03:02 (permalink)
Dr. Trout...I'm curious about the following quote from above:

another thing that is happening.. an 11 year old can buy a junior license (with HTE class) if he turns 12 in the license year.. BUT he can not use it until he is 12.... folks are getting the junior license .. FOR EXAMPLE.. in June so they can get a antlerless tag in the mail... and then some are trying to hunt archery, jr hunts, small game , etc before they actually turn 12 (say in November or December). The junior hunter HAS TO BE 12 to hunt using his Junior License

My son is 11, turns 12 on Dec. 1. He took the HTE course in August. Over the weekend I went and picked up his hunting license. I asked for the Mentored Youth License, but the clerk at the store told me that based on his birthdate, he had to give me the Junior License. Said he qualified for the junior hunt because he turned 12 during the license year. I headed up to the courthouse this morning and got him a antlerless license for this weekend. From what you wrote, I have to go get him a Mentored License AND get my antlerless tag for him to use (read this in the rules book). I guess my next question would be...could he shoot a doe this weekend under Mentored on my tag, a buck on the opener with his tag and then another doe on the first Saturday using his antlerless tag (since he will then be 12)? Wow, didn't realize all the rules around this.

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 12:11:05 (permalink)
My kids will take advantage of the MY program when I feel they are ready; 5 years old, not likely. I am more thinking maybe 8, 9 or 10 depending on their level of maturity at that point and the interest they show flinging arrows, plinking with the bb gun, .22 and .223 and learning about safety, above all else.

I will have no problems taking them out before then though to sit with me and take in the fall woods, if they show an interest.

That, to my way of thinking, is exactly the way it should be done.
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 12:31:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

My kids will take advantage of the MY program when I feel they are ready; 5 years old, not likely. I am more thinking maybe 8, 9 or 10 depending on their level of maturity at that point and the interest they show flinging arrows, plinking with the bb gun, .22 and .223 and learning about safety, above all else.

I will have no problems taking them out before then though to sit with me and take in the fall woods, if they show an interest.

That, to my way of thinking, is exactly the way it should be done.

Yes and yes...
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 12:37:20 (permalink)
My son is 8, he has shot two longbeards on the mentored hunt and has loaded the gun once we got to our calling locaton both times. He is 130 lbs, and bigger than most 12 year olds. He could Shoot the .257 off the bench when he was 6, without assistance. Why then should he have to wait 6 years to hunt? 6 years where he will pick up other hobbies and interests, no thanks, he can learn to hunt now.

The obvious issue is maturity. However the mentored program is designed to take that portion out of the youth's hands. The mentor is supposed to provide step by step instruction at the youth's side during the hunt. So if there are High Power bullets flying off through the trees, then I blame the mentor more than the kid. Kids are tough, mine understands when I tell him that we couldn't take the shot for one reason or another (he doesn't always like it) but he listens.

Many other states start hunters off at 8 years old, so the responsibility here lies with the mentor.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 13:26:11 (permalink)
I really think eyes hit the nail on the head, kids are different, very different at the younger ages. It really is up to the parent/guardian as to whether or not a child is mature enough to handle the situation.

Musky, that kid sounds like a bruiser and is more physically prepared to shoot than many of his 60 pound classmates... Glad to see you spend the time with him in the woods and that is what I think is the good thing about the program. My son went with me a lot when he was as young as 4 or 5, I can remember shooting a squirrel with a .22 at the exact time he pulled the trigger on his cap pistol, the look on his face was priceless...

Again, I think the program is here to stay and I'm not trying to change that, just didn't see the harm in waiting...
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 14:22:49 (permalink)
I agree with you that the anticipation was good, but now there are too many other bad habits that can grab them while they are waiting. Video games, instant access TV, internet....the list goes on. At least now they get a little introduction before those other interest take too violent ahold of them. Waiting is not bad, the things that can grab your interest these days while you wait are.

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 15:02:20 (permalink)
My son will be 8 in 2 weeks. He can shoot pretty well - BB gun, .22 and had him shooting the .243 a little this summer.

Sometimes he wants to hunt, sometimes he doesn't. Asked him yesterday if he wants to shoot a doe this weekend. Have a friend with a farm just down the road in 2D, with a group of does that shows up in the same spot almost every day. Easy pickins. He has no interest in hunting for does this weekend. He said, "No, I wanna wait till I can shoot a buck."

Tempting to make him go, but I won't. I want him to love hunting and develop an interest at his own pace. He loves to fish with me, but doesn't quite have the patience to hunt. I take him to tag along once in awhile, and I'm lucky if he lasts 45 minutes before he's ready to call it quits. I'll be surprised if he even wants to hunt at all this year.

He's not lazy at all - plays sports year 'round. Outside playing all the time - very little time sitting in front of the TV or playing video games 'cause we don't let him.

My 10 year old daughter said she wants to go this weekend, but I haven't had her behind the .243 yet. She's good with the BB gun and .22 though, so she might pick it up pretty quick. If we can get out today and tomorrow after school to shoot, and if she does well, I'll take her Saturday morning. Definitely won't take her out without practice though. She doesn't care much for fishing, but does like to go hunting with me more than my son.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3521
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 15:34:42 (permalink)
Good luck if you take her!!

My rifle is a black rifle
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 18:36:29 (permalink)
bigsmof ====

He will need a MENTORED Permit to hunt this thu-fri-sat...
and can not use his junior licenses until December 1st....

I was told to advise you to get a mentored permit (the N/W PGC offical said you should be able to do that)and if there is a problem in doing that call Harrisburg... but he has to have a mentored permit for this week's antlerless hunt...

hope that helps.. it's the best I could do .... since the main office is closed

GOOD LUCK !!!

As for what you have already == that tag you got for him is ONLY good after he is 12 (junior hunter)He can NOT legally use it this week-end..

This week he will have to have (use) a mentored permit and yes then can use your tag (if you have one)
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/19 18:51:23
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 20:10:02 (permalink)
rsquared...My kids were like that when we started, lots of 1 hour max hunts. Some of my best. He will come around, they are still little kids even though they don't act like it. Have fun with your daughter. Mine will be hunting on her adult license for the first time after volleyball ends here in a week or so. It will be interesting to see her dealing with the 3 up rule.

bigsmof
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 21:13:57 (permalink)
Dr. Trout.   Thanks.   Went back up to the local sporting goods store and got him the MY permit.  He now has both licenses and we each have a doe permit, so one way or another we'll be legal this weekend and thru the season.   Glad I read your post today. 

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 22:13:08 (permalink)
WONDERFUL....

good luck to you and the boy.. I hope he fills all his tags !!!!!

This is a perfect example of why I post here.. and message board can be a GREAT thing !!!

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/19 22:32:32 (permalink)
Not only can the youngster shoot a doe with his fathers tag (mentor tag) he can also shoot one with his own tag.

How many mentor tags is the youngster allow to use Dr Trout ? 1, 2, or as many as one or several mentors would turn over to them ?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/20 08:26:32 (permalink)
Not only can the youngster shoot a doe with his fathers tag (mentor tag) he can also shoot one with his own tag.

Right but he can not do that until after his 12th birthday..then his junior license and doe tag allows him another antlerless... so in this example he could shoot 3 deer, a mentored doe(dad's tag) a buck and another doe after he is 12 years old with his own doe tag ... December 2nd...

He could really shoot more than that if he had more tags for after Dec 2.. DMAP tags, etc.. or even another adult mentor before he turns 12..

That's one thing the local WCO and I talked about.. he likes the mentored program in many ways but fears we are starting to concentrate on teaching youths about killing game rather than the SPORT of hunting... are we teaching it's in the rewards of killing game not necessarily the sport of hunting and the enjoyment of the outdoors...

interesting point ... thoughts ??
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3521
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/20 08:54:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

That's one thing the local WCO and I talked about.. he likes the mentored program in many ways but fears we are starting to concentrate on teaching youths about killing game rather than the SPORT of hunting... are we teaching it's in the rewards of killing game not necessarily the sport of hunting and the enjoyment of the outdoors...

The sport of hunting is necessary before the actual act of killing can take place.  There is nothing like having game in close with weapon in hand and not being sure of the outcome.  The kill is the ultimate outcome but I am quite confident there are many missed opportunities and the sport of the hunt is alive and well with the mentored program.

My rifle is a black rifle
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/20 17:49:30 (permalink)
Can a youth be mentored by more than one mentor ? For example say the youth has 5 uncles. Can "each" uncle take the youth out under the MY program and let them shoot a deer with their (uncles( doe tag ?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/20 19:12:45 (permalink)
Yep ...
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/20 20:25:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Yep ...

Didn't know that and find that surprising. So if anyone wanted to mentor one particular youth the sky is limit as far as the number of deer a mentored youth can shoot providing the mentor has a tag in which he turned over.
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/20 22:01:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Can a youth be mentored by more than one mentor ? For example say the youth has 5 uncles. Can "each" uncle take the youth out under the MY program and let them shoot a deer with their (uncles( doe tag ?

No, on this one Doc is incorrect.

Each mentored youth can only receive one mentor antlerless tag in a license year. Therefore, if they use Dad’s tag on an antlerless deer they killed they can’t go out with Grandpa or the uncle and also use their tag. Each mentored youth can harvest ONE antlerless deer on a mentor’s tag and only ONE antlered deer on their own mentor permit.

In the case where the youth is going to turn 12 during the deer season they could harvest one antlerless deer on a mentor’s tag then harvest one on each of their own legal antlerless licenses after they turn 12.

They are only permitted one antlered deer per year, so if they harvest one as a mentor they are done for the year and can’t harvest another one with their license after they turn 12.

R.S. Bodenhorn  
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/20 22:43:52 (permalink)
That sounds better.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/20 23:35:32 (permalink)
Thanks RSB.. not the first or last time I was/will be incorrect..

and it's always nice to know you are here to set the record straight !!!!

I TOTALLY missed this in the press release...

In order to harvest an antlerless deer, an adult mentor may transfer a valid antlerless license issued to him or her to an eligible mentored youth upon the harvest of an antlerless deer, and a mentored youth may only receive one antlerless deer license each license year. The antlerless deer license transferred to the mentored youth must be for the Wildlife Management Unit in which the adult mentor and youth are hunting.

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/20 23:37:38
SENIOR
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Mentored Youth Antlerless Hunt - Thu/Fri/Sat 2011/10/24 09:52:40 (permalink)
everyone was a beginner at one time!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: