Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wilbur_83
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 402
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/09 13:32:44 (permalink)

Thank you 1 fly...

To EVERYONE that worked so hard to put on the 1 fly this year...It was my 1st and I will be back...EPIC indeed...

Alisha and I had a wonderful day...

Nice meeting and talking with all the duuds...

THANK YOU ALL

33 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 13:36:10 (permalink)
    Enjoy that trip with your Kid pal

rookie5781
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 13:51:48 (permalink)
    Glad to see such wonderful people win the trip! You and your daughter have a great time!

I also want to Thank everyone that was behind the scenes, it wasn't always easy at times but it all fell into place and I believe this has been one of the greatest one's yet, and I hope that we can have many more. Again thank you for all of your contributions and support!

acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 14:01:04 (permalink)
    ray126
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 238
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 18:43:01 (permalink)
    Thank you everyone for a great weekend.I did not want to fish,just to sit back and watch the comradery ,good for the soul.I watched the wives who never seemed to stop,preparing the event and taking care of things,Thank you.To those i had conversation,Thank you.You know that friendship is the greatest medicine in a sometimes lonely world.Ray
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 18:47:07 (permalink)
    Yep, great time. Events like that dont happen without a ton of volunteers, and people who do things without needing to be noticed or thanked. God bless yinz!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 19:21:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fisherofmen376

Yep, great time. Events like that dont happen without a ton of volunteers, and people who do things without needing to be noticed or thanked. God bless yinz!

+1 Thanks Everyone!
    The Outdoors addict
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 19:52:52 (permalink)
    I also would like to thank all involved! It was an awesome time and I hope to attend next years as well!! But next year I won't fall in the creek I hope.lol I guess I took after someone else in prior years. (not saying his name but he knows who he is)  I had a great time talking to the group I met at the night before as well. Great family you have there Jack. Just an overall memorable experience. Lots of hard work went in, and a wonderful result came out. Oh and WOW good food also!! Yum! I cannot even go into the list (it's so long), but you all are great in my book!I wish there were more like you in this world. I truly do. Thank you.

Best fishes to you and yours!!
    rockcutter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 21:30:34 (permalink)
    Thanks every one bug and I had a great time. WE met alot of great guys thanks for all of the advice. Even if dad did not do his daughters leader right I did not live that down. on the ride home thanks!! And the net she said we will use whith her thank you.
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 23:04:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: coldfront

to all who worked so hard, thanks. to jack for keeping this alive, we all owe you for your enthusiasm. is it time to start next year's list?

Thats a joke give credit to Skip or someone who deserves it, the guy who did WW(Skip and the guides) should be commended, it will live well beyond someone you named who pretends he does something.

rookie5781
    Expert Angler
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 23:17:26 (permalink)

nuke, i have thanked skip, debi, john and the guides via pms or on facebook. i was with them and the vets. i was the net guy. also thanks should be extended to hans and vickie, fisherlady and erie mako and all those who stayed at the pavilion cooking and getting things ready. i have talked to them also.

i talked to almost all of them this morning or early this afternoon.

+1

Thank you Coldfront.

Before you knock someone for the lack of participation you might want to think twice. Jack has done more of his fair share of work for the one fly, as he does every year. Just because he does not live up here, doesn't mean he doesn't do anything. I also want to say if it wasn't for him and Brandon, we would of never gotten prizes done in time due to having more then we could handle alone.

I do want to thank everyone that took time to donate, tie flies, help the vets, cook, set everything up, and the list goes on. The people behind the scenes are a great bunch of people and I couldn't of asked for a better group to work and get involved with.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 23:20:06 (permalink)
    keep in mind that jack spends tons of time also building rods, contacting people and then driving up from kentucky. he too should be commended for his work.

Ok lots of ppl stayed at home this year for some un named reason.

It was a great event for the WW from what I heard..

kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 23:21:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rookie5781

nuke, i have thanked skip, debi, john and the guides via pms or on facebook. i was with them and the vets. i was the net guy. also thanks should be extended to hans and vickie, fisherlady and erie mako and all those who stayed at the pavilion cooking and getting things ready. i have talked to them also.

+1

Thank you Coldfront.

Before you knock someone for the lack of participation you might want to think twice. Jack has done more of his fair share of work for the one fly, as he does every year. Just because he does not live up here, doesn't mean he doesn't do anything. I also want to say if it wasn't for him and Brandon, we would of never gotten prizes done in time due to having more then we could handle alone.

I do want to thank everyone that took time to donate, tie flies, help the vets, cook, set everything up, and the list goes on. The people behind the scenes are a great bunch of people and I couldn't of asked for a better group to work and get involved with.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I know how much you did and it's great but don't give credit where its not due...

rookie5781
    Expert Angler
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/09 23:31:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kingnuke32

keep in mind that jack spends tons of time also building rods, contacting people and then driving up from kentucky. he too should be commended for his work.

Ok lots of ppl stayed at home this year for some un named reason.

It was a great event for the WW from what I heard..

+1

Thank you Coldfront.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I know how much you did and it's great but don't give credit where its not due...

All I have to say is REALLY?????
    post edited by rookie5781 - 2011/10/09 23:35:47

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/10 00:45:35 (permalink)
    I would like to say thanks... not to any individual... but to a group of individuals who came together to make this work.
    No event will ever be 'perfect', but a huge amount of time and effort was put forward by each in their own way to make this as close as we could get. It wasn't done for any one person, but for each other.... and the Vet's attending made it even more important to all of us.

Folks brought their own unique abilities to the mix, some are able to tie flies or rods (an awesome thing in my book), some were able to use business contacts and abilities to secure prize donations, others were able to provide an awesome picnic feast, others provided goods for the picnic or supplies towards the campground or vet's needs. Yet others were able to provide priceless guide services and/or their personal time to assist in prep work that happened behind the scene (also a priceless donation to an event of this size).

In short, it was a wonderful event because we came together to make it work, and all the people involved were important. There was an incredible personal contribution from all involved and I thank them all... and am grateful to have been able to participate for these past 2 years.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/10 01:20:48 (permalink)
    Enjoyed it very much and will be looking ahead to next years event. Thanks!!

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    flip stick
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/10 07:22:25 (permalink)
    I also would like to say thanks to ALL that helped with the event it takes more then one person to make it all come together and be a great day.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/10 07:29:22 (permalink)

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/10 07:59:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fisherlady2

I would like to say thanks... not to any individual... but to a group of individuals who came together to make this work.
    No event will ever be 'perfect', but a huge amount of time and effort was put forward by each in their own way to make this as close as we could get. It wasn't done for any one person, but for each other.... and the Vet's attending made it even more important to all of us.

Folks brought their own unique abilities to the mix, some are able to tie flies or rods (an awesome thing in my book), some were able to use business contacts and abilities to secure prize donations, others were able to provide an awesome picnic feast, others provided goods for the picnic or supplies towards the campground or vet's needs. Yet others were able to provide priceless guide services and/or their personal time to assist in prep work that happened behind the scene (also a priceless donation to an event of this size).

In short, it was a wonderful event because we came together to make it work, and all the people involved were important. There was an incredible personal contribution from all involved and I thank them all... and am grateful to have been able to participate for these past 2 years.

+1

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/10 08:22:06 (permalink)
    I'm completely amazed at all the people who were involved in this year's One Fly and all the hard work they put in to it.
    I'd list all your names but I'm afraid I would miss someone. But, we know who you all are and I tip my hat to yinz.
    Congratulations to the winners. In a way, we were all winners, as we are every year..
    I especially tip my hat to Jack, as year after year, as things get bigger and more complicated, the man gets it done. Thanks again.

And Mr. John Nickle. What can I say.... You know how we all feel about you..... See ya next week.
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/10 18:07:33 (permalink)

+1

Thank you Coldfront.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

SERIOUSLEY?
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/10 20:02:23 (permalink)
    Kingnuke, were you even there? Do you realize what all was involved in putting this together? Jack is a huge part of it and with out him, we wouldn't be having the event.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/10 20:09:16 (permalink)

to all who worked so hard, thanks. to jack for keeping this alive, we all owe you for your enthusiasm. is it time to start next year's list?

Thats a joke give credit to Skip or someone who deserves it, the guy who did WW(Skip and the guides) should be commended, it will live well beyond someone you named who pretends he does something.

I really debated about chiming in here, especially since I have not participated directly in the last 3 One Fly events, but when I read a comment like that, I just cannot keep my mouth or keyboard shut. 

I was with Jack and have been with him since we decided to put the One Fly together years ago.  The first several were attended by a handful of people, no fancy prizes, no big meals, no night before dinners, no poker tournaments, no whatevers,,, just a few guys gathering to have a good time fishing, swapping stories and hanging out.  A simple idea, fish with one fly until you loose it.  Fish for bragging rights.  Fish for fun.  Fish because you love the sport and wanted to share some time with friends and family.

Over the years, the event grew, more people, more elaborate set ups, more prizes, more, more, more...  I helped Jack get prizes so EVERY person would leave with something, even if it was a $2.00 set of hemostats or an empty fly box.  The prizes got better and better and more expensive, the plans more complex, and so it went.  As the event evolved I left for personal reasons, but others stepped up to fill the breech.  I have stayed in contact with Jack in a behind the scenes advisory role and provided a few prizes, but have not participated directly.

This year a new addition of the wounded warriors was added to an already full agenda.  I think it was fantastic that the hero's were welcomed and thanked in a very real and special way for their service and sacrifice.  All those who worked with these brave folks should be applauded, but this added event was not part of the original idea.  It added a new dimension, but also changed the direction of the event.

As I said, I really have no right to comment on this year's event as I was not there, but I want to put a little perspective on the history of the One Fly and let those who don't remember the beginnings know what it was and what more importantly it meant to those who started it.

As with all things in life, we often mistake more for better until we realize that it is the simple things in life that make the lasting memories and mean the most to us. 

Maybe the One Fly has grown beyond what it was intended to be and as such, it needs to change.  Perhaps it will spin off some other meaningful and fruitful activities.  That would be wonderful.  But the one thing we all need to keep in mind is that a man named Jack many years ago sitting around BSing with his buddies had an idea and put that idea into motion.  If Jack had been like most men and let the idea just remain that, an idea, no one would be here today having this discussion.

Jack, from a person on the sidelines, I say thank you for your vision and years of commitment to the One Fly.

pax vobiscum +
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/10 20:13:46 (permalink)
    AMEN

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/10 21:27:28 (permalink)
    To add to Bughawk's excellent response and for those of you who might be wondering how this comes together;
    This is not something that is put together by a group of board members that meet at some location, discussed, gone over and assigned duties. these individuals offered there services. this is all done by private msging and many phone calls. Jack depends and has confidince in our decisions! many of us have no idea how the others are handling their contributions.
    Jack is the foreseer of this event because he knows that if the event fails, in any event, or something goes wrong, folks will look towards him first for blame. in the same respect, each year this event has been a success and therefore he should get the first applause for a job well done.
    this forum welcomes comments, good or ill feelings, something you don't find elsewhere. it makes good conversation as the truth seems to always prevail for the better.

Here's to you Jack

post edited by doubletaper - 2011/10/10 21:33:02

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/11 09:58:31 (permalink)
    It's amazing that a happening of this greatness could have a damper put on it buy one IDIOT!

PS: I wasn't there
    Big Casino
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/11 17:29:52 (permalink)
    well it is this kinda crap that chased me off these boards years ago, I am thankful that there were people who worked hard enough to put the event together, I am thankful I was able to attend the one fly event, , I also feel extremely lucky to have gotten to spend some time with a few of the members of this board, the hellos, the hand shakes, and even the occasional man hug,
    so to every Man, Woman and child who had something to do with this event THANK YOU!
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2559
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/11 17:57:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bughawk

I really debated about chiming in here, especially since I have not participated directly in the last 3 One Fly events, but when I read a comment like that, I just cannot keep my mouth or keyboard shut. 

I was with Jack and have been with him since we decided to put the One Fly together years ago.  The first several were attended by a handful of people, no fancy prizes, no big meals, no night before dinners, no poker tournaments, no whatevers,,, just a few guys gathering to have a good time fishing, swapping stories and hanging out.  A simple idea, fish with one fly until you loose it.  Fish for bragging rights.  Fish for fun.  Fish because you love the sport and wanted to share some time with friends and family.

Over the years, the event grew, more people, more elaborate set ups, more prizes, more, more, more...  I helped Jack get prizes so EVERY person would leave with something, even if it was a $2.00 set of hemostats or an empty fly box.  The prizes got better and better and more expensive, the plans more complex, and so it went.  As the event evolved I left for personal reasons, but others stepped up to fill the breech.  I have stayed in contact with Jack in a behind the scenes advisory role and provided a few prizes, but have not participated directly.

This year a new addition of the wounded warriors was added to an already full agenda.  I think it was fantastic that the hero's were welcomed and thanked in a very real and special way for their service and sacrifice.  All those who worked with these brave folks should be applauded, but this added event was not part of the original idea.  It added a new dimension, but also changed the direction of the event.

As I said, I really have no right to comment on this year's event as I was not there, but I want to put a little perspective on the history of the One Fly and let those who don't remember the beginnings know what it was and what more importantly it meant to those who started it.

As with all things in life, we often mistake more for better until we realize that it is the simple things in life that make the lasting memories and mean the most to us. 

Maybe the One Fly has grown beyond what it was intended to be and as such, it needs to change.  Perhaps it will spin off some other meaningful and fruitful activities.  That would be wonderful.  But the one thing we all need to keep in mind is that a man named Jack many years ago sitting around BSing with his buddies had an idea and put that idea into motion.  If Jack had been like most men and let the idea just remain that, an idea, no one would be here today having this discussion.

Jack, from a person on the sidelines, I say thank you for your vision and years of commitment to the One Fly.

I really don't have any right to make a comment on the "one fly" as I did not attend, but I just want to say that I consider Bughawk to be a "class act" as far as members of this board go and I have great respect for him and look forward to his post's. Although I hve never met him or have spoken to him I have exchanged PM's with him, and he has helped me through some very difficult times though his guiding words of wisdom. Needless to say I value his opinions no matter what the subject matter may be.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/11 20:41:15 (permalink)
    This was not my event at all... All I did was cook.... Its been Jacks from the beginning ....

I'm just moving in another direction is all.... Everyone will understand soon I hope

acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thank you 1 fly... 2011/10/11 22:51:12 (permalink)
    If you need help in your "new" direction ket me know if I can help
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: