Caring for your Waders/Boots

Author
xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/09 13:30:15 (permalink)

Caring for your Waders/Boots

I just received and used my new waders and wading boots. I got a pair of Field & Stream Pro breathable waders and a very nice pair of Simms Rivershed boots. Since both the waders and boots combined hurt my wallet a bit, I was wondering how you all take care of them. What do you do to dry them after a day of fishing? Do you recommend those electric boot dryer? Also, do you treat or protect your boots or waders with anything? Just want to get the most out of them. Thanks.

21 Replies Related Threads

steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/09 14:06:32 (permalink)
    dry inside out

hang up

thats it

hopethishelpa
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/09 17:08:05 (permalink)
    Hang them up as mentioned, never store them wet...I use revivex about once a month too.

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    kylerloveshotdogs
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/09 18:11:00 (permalink)
    first, keep a gallon milk jug in your car filled with spring water to wash your waders, wading jacket, and waking boots after your outing is over.  I transport my waders in a large carrying tote from walmart.  These are fabulous for trips such as erie that are no longer than three days.  Inside, from bottom to top, I put my boots and a gallon of drinking water, waders, wading jacket, layering such as capilene and underarmour.  Then I keep my fly boxes if not already in wading jacket, my canteen, wool socks and gloves, fly reels, fleece wading pants, and all other fishing equipment.  This, imo, is the best way to keep your things organized.  It also cuts down on room in the vehicle.  Traveling with 3 friends who aren't as organized makes accessing MY gear a lot easier.  No offense clev/loomis/smitty.

a lot of people think inside out is the way to go but I don't do this when hanging.

as mentioned in another thread, I strap one side, hang this in my walk-in closet, prop the waders open with a hanger near the waist, spray with febreeze.  I also stack towels underneath the boot foots to keep the floor clean as well give them support (relieves stress on seams from hanging; this may be overboard but it has worked wonders for me).  Doing this keeps my waders smelling fresh and dry each time I pack them up.

MMM hotdogs in my belly make me happy guy. My wife says no no kyler, you stop eating you getting bigger you will need new waders
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/09 18:50:01 (permalink)
    to much work

just take them off and seal in garbage bag

works wondRs for me

hopethishelp[a
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/09 20:27:47 (permalink)
    best thing you can do is avoid temps and store them dry

extreme heat or cold can do the most damage to waders (besides sharp objects)
    the glue that is used on the taped seams will fail if exposed to temps for more than a few hours
    a 150* trunk is not good

also cleaning waders is good
    materials are porous and dirt and junk can mess with performance
    not suggesting using steelwool and dawn... but just wipe-off (not rub-in) visible dirt with water

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/09 21:27:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kylerloveshotdogs

first, keep a gallon milk jug in your car filled with spring water to wash your waders, wading jacket, and waking boots after your outing is over.  I transport my waders in a large carrying tote from walmart.  These are fabulous for trips such as erie that are no longer than three days.  Inside, from bottom to top, I put my boots and a gallon of drinking water, waders, wading jacket, layering such as capilene and underarmour.  Then I keep my fly boxes if not already in wading jacket, my canteen, wool socks and gloves, fly reels, fleece wading pants, and all other fishing equipment.  This, imo, is the best way to keep your things organized.  It also cuts down on room in the vehicle.  Traveling with 3 friends who aren't as organized makes accessing MY gear a lot easier.  No offense clev/loomis/smitty.

a lot of people think inside out is the way to go but I don't do this when hanging.

as mentioned in another thread, I strap one side, hang this in my walk-in closet, prop the waders open with a hanger near the waist, spray with febreeze.  I also stack towels underneath the boot foots to keep the floor clean as well give them support (relieves stress on seams from hanging; this may be overboard but it has worked wonders for me).  Doing this keeps my waders smelling fresh and dry each time I pack them up.

Boy oh boy that is a ton of way 2 much information. The only thing u left out was telling us if you brush your teeth before or after you shower.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/09 23:56:57 (permalink)
    Just remember to put them back in your car after you take them off...

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    kylerloveshotdogs
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/10 00:59:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: swinger

Boy oh boy that is a ton of way 2 much information. The only thing u left out was telling us if you brush your teeth before or after you shower.

i do have pearly whites for chewing longhorn at 4.76 a roll.

seriously though, too much work?  saves me a benjamin or two every year.

MMM hotdogs in my belly make me happy guy. My wife says no no kyler, you stop eating you getting bigger you will need new waders
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2559
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/10 11:04:11 (permalink)
    I always hang up my waders on the clothes line to dry, wheather permiting, and place my wadeing shoes outside, out of the sun to air dry. Also a good idea to rinse out the shoes when you get home. Other than that,just try and stay out of briar patches!

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

xXBeastFeesherManXx
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/10 15:53:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info/tips guys. I hung the waders in my basement for now, stuffed my boots with newspaper and air-dried them outside. I decided to order a Peet Wader/Boots dryer (link below). They got a number of excellent reviews and seem to be the way to go after a days fishing. Thanks again all.

http://www.amazon.com/PEET-Dryer-M97-WM-Electric-Extensions/dp/B001COY7FM
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/10 19:41:48 (permalink)
    I also have a small rug to stand on when I put my waders on and take them off. This way I do not damage the bottoms standing on anything next to my vehicle.
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/10 19:45:55 (permalink)

you use spring water to rinse?

i always heard to use distill'D water with a little lemOn juise

think you have it wrOng

hopethishelpa
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/10 19:46:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: xXBeastFeesherManXx

Thanks for the info/tips guys. I hung the waders in my basement for now, stuffed my boots with newspaper and air-dried them outside. I decided to order a Peet Wader/Boots dryer (link below). They got a number of excellent reviews and seem to be the way to go after a days fishing. Thanks again all.

http://www.amazon.com/PEET-Dryer-M97-WM-Electric-Extensions/dp/B001COY7FM

those ruin waders

heat dry out the glue and seams leak
    trust me

been there

hopethishelpa
    fishbreath
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/11 08:36:51 (permalink)
    My waders and boots stay wet from Sept. through March. I hang the waders in March . 4 years- maybe 5 - on the first set of waders, 3 so far on the second set. The boots are about 7; I had to replace one of the shoelaces last year. I used to fish maybe 100 days per season.
    You should probably take better care care of them than I do, but no need to go overboard on maintenance.
    post edited by fishbreath - 2011/10/11 08:38:38
    CU@theriver
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/11 08:51:52 (permalink)
    remember to clean your felt bottoms if you have them and rinse your stuff off good if you change watersheds...everyone is worried about drilling fluids but Erie is a prime example of what invasive species can doo
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/11 08:59:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CU@theriver

remember to clean your felt bottoms if you have them and rinse your stuff off good if you change watersheds...everyone is worried about drilling fluids but Erie is a prime example of what invasive species can doo

biggest flippin joke ever advertised in the history of fishing equipment.

Don't forget to remove every thread, seam, etc. where the microscopic critters can latch onto. Heck - just toss the waders & shoes in a fire and buy new each time you fish a different waterway...

Just hang dry the waders by the suspenders - no need to support the booties (another fairy tale).

Boots - leave on porch in shaded spot to dry.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/11 09:12:21 (permalink)
    Get one of these...

Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/11 09:36:06 (permalink)
    regardless of the environmental impacts, how do you clean felt bottom boots? I just bought my first pair
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/11 09:57:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Accountant

regardless of the environmental impacts, how do you clean felt bottom boots? I just bought my first pair

you dont (funny that you want to)

they are made to be dirty

like me

hopethishelpa
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/11 09:58:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

ORIGINAL: CU@theriver

biggest flippin joke ever advertised in the history of fishing equipment.

Don't forget to remove every thread, seam, etc. where the microscopic critters can latch onto. Heck - just toss the waders & shoes in a fire and buy new each time you fish a different waterway...

Just hang dry the waders by the suspenders - no need to support the booties (another fairy tale).

Boots - leave on porch in shaded spot to dry.

so true

hopeisthehelpa
    CU@theriver
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Caring for your Waders/Boots 2011/10/11 10:16:10 (permalink)
    when i did stream work in Dunkard Creek watershed around the time of the fish kill (look it up if you're not familiar).. we cleaned/scrubbed our boots and equipment with a 10% bleach solution, and air dried them before we worked in adjoining watersheds 
    Jump to: