Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/05 17:27:59 (permalink)

Special Regulations Question

Are you allowed to use Gulp plastics in Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only sections of trout streams? I know they are artificial and not live bait, but wasn't sure since they're scented.

45 Replies Related Threads

kylerloveshotdogs
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/05 21:23:33 (permalink)
    been rehashed here before, try using the search engine for better answers but as i remember, consensus rules that it is in the hands of the officer patrolling the area.  some consider it ok while others do not. 

if you know how to talk to an authority figure, you will not get fined, but rather a warning if they consider a rub on the finger no-no.

MMM hotdogs in my belly make me happy guy. My wife says no no kyler, you stop eating you getting bigger you will need new waders
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/05 21:45:13 (permalink)
    says bait paste or similiar.... so is probably illegal...

post edited by wade alexander - 2011/10/05 21:46:57
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/05 22:07:04 (permalink)
    Call or email the fish commission, you will get an answer from them in a few days

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/05 23:25:08 (permalink)
    Ive seen this before and my input is that if its a powerbait its illegal like the worms but floating mice tails and gulp worms different from the alive brand are legal along with trout magnets. talked to officer at buffalo creek and he approved of floating mice tails trout magnets and worms upload a pic if you have to so i can see cause anymore therre are so many brands
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2084
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/06 09:20:25 (permalink)
    I emailed berkley about this and never got a reply...
    kylerloveshotdogs
    Avid Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/06 10:28:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kill3ducks1deer

Call or email the fish commission, you will get an answer from them in a few days

as I already said, use the search function

they have already been contacted about the issue

powerworms and the like are legal

MMM hotdogs in my belly make me happy guy. My wife says no no kyler, you stop eating you getting bigger you will need new waders
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/06 11:03:18 (permalink)
    Different WCO's have different interpretations.

On a local DHALO, one pointedly asked me if I had scented worms (which I didn't) and said not to use them. Few days later, another WCO was patrolling and I asked him if scented worms were OK (still didn't have any, just asked out of curiosity). He said they were fine.

All WCO's I've encountered on DHALO areas are fine with trout magnets and other unscented soft plastics. I personally won't use anything scented or the like because (1) the way I read the regs they're illegal and (2) the way some WCO's read the regs they're illegal.

I'd rather not pay a fine.
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/06 15:01:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. I don't have any pictures, but they are the regular Gulp plastic minnows(3in. I think) that you'll find in the plastic worm section of stores. I have contacted the PFBC but probably won't get a response until tomarrow. I'll try searching it too.
    kylerloveshotdogs
    Avid Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/06 18:43:33 (permalink)

troutguy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/06 19:00:05 (permalink)
    I did do some searching on it and found a bunch of threads on the topic, but all the threads are just arguing whether you are allowed to use them or not. Some of the people did talk to wardens and contacted the PFBC, but some of the officers said it was legal while others said it wasn't, so there was really no straight answer. Then there was the thing saying it is legal to use trout worms, but not Gulp. Well gulp makes trout worms. I guess I'll just have to wait for the PFBC to answer me back, but what if they say it is legal to use, then an officer approaches me on the stream and says it isn't(like the other thread), then who do I believe? I guess I'm better off fly fishing or using spinners and such...
    post edited by troutguy - 2011/10/06 19:01:46
    kylerloveshotdogs
    Avid Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/06 21:47:47 (permalink)
    yea thats what i said in my first post.. its subjective to what authority you are talking to.  i'm sure if you told one that was upset about that another said it was ok, they would just warn you as long as you were not offensive in any manner.

carry around the email if they say it's legal.. your best bet
    post edited by kylerloveshotdogs - 2011/10/06 21:48:37

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 08:06:41 (permalink)
    http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/delayedartificial.html

This was taken directly from their site.
    Fishing may be done with artificial lures only constructed of metal, plastic, rubber or wood, or with flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials. All such lures may be used with spinning or fly fishing gear.
    The use or possession of any natural bait, baitfish, fishbait, bait paste and similar substances, fish eggs (natural or molded) or any other edible substance is prohibited.

Read/comprehend....according to what is written above,IMO, pink trout worms are perfectly legal. The slight "gray" area is the "similar" statement which makes the rule something even less likely to hold up in court.

On that note...been using them for years, talked to officers and NEVER had an issue or even been questioned on it. They don't catch fish anyway
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/10/07 08:31:14

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 10:51:50 (permalink)
    I wrote to the PFBC out of curiosity and asked them if they were legal or not...This is what I got....I guess its fitting when you don't have a cut-n-dry law, how can you give a cut-n-dry answer

I'm not in law enforcement, but I did ask the region law enforcement manager about your question. He basically advises people that ask that question, "When in doubt, don't use it." Since there are so many types of artificial products on the market you really have to read the ingredients label to make absolutely sure there is NO NATURAL stuff/scenting/etc. in/on the lure that would be a violation when fishing in these DHALO areas. I would also ask your local Waterways Conservation Officer the next time you see him.

Hope that helps.

Good luck fishing!

I also did some more research on Berkley Power Trout Worms...appearently, they are simply rubber worms with some scented oils on them. The Gulp are actually impregnated with scents and/or natural "stuff"

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 11:40:30 (permalink)
    rule isnt really a grey area. if your plastics got scent,spray,gel,ect... you can get fined... whether or not the officer cares is another story

they cant go making a list of every product to hand out to fishermen because 100 more would just pop up tomorrow with a different name

is stupid having artificial only areas anyway...

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 12:03:46 (permalink)
    " natural bait, baitfish, fishbait, bait paste and similar substances, fish eggs (natural or molded) or any other edible substance is prohibited.".......................................................^^^....................................................................^^^
    ...................................................................DING DING DING....Gray Areas!

And I don't see where the law states anything about scent, even though scents wear off in about 2 drifts. If the worm is made from rubber, then use it...Is what I get from the law thats provided.

Simple solution...the law should simply state artificial lures only...NO Live/Natural Bait. DONE
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/10/07 12:25:36

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 14:10:58 (permalink)
    If the scent is totally man-made and/or synthetic, then no problem.

If the scent, flavor, oil, etc. uses natural food sources (fish, fish oil, fish pellets, cheese, etc) or enzymes I dunno how you can think that doesn't fall under the category of "natural bait . . . similar substance . . . edible substance."

Totally agree that the law should be much more clearer than it is.  Till then, I'll avoid using scented/flavored products.  Don't really care what others do, since they're C&R areas and they'll stock more next year. 
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 15:14:01 (permalink)
    Here's their reply back....

I'm not in law enforcement, but I did ask the region law enforcement manager about your question. He basically advises people that ask that question, "When in doubt, don't use it." Since there are so many of those types of products on the market you really have to read the ingredients label to make absolutely sure there is NO NATURAL stuff in/on the lure that would be a violation when fishing in these DHALO areas.

Hope that helps.

Good luck fishing!

Pretty much the same exact reply as ShutUpNFish's. So I guess you can't use gulp since it has "natural" scents.
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 16:54:06 (permalink)
    its pretty clearly stated to cover the broad aray of wording companies/people use...   if its taste or smell thats involved its not legal. i dont fish much for trout but  just think the artificial only thing is kinda bs.     theres no other species with artificial only areas.

does  wd-40 still work lol :)P
    post edited by wade alexander - 2011/10/07 17:18:16
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 17:26:55 (permalink)
    The reason for the artificial lures only thing is so that the fish that can't be harvested don't swallow the hook and get injured, and die. The chances of them swallowing a moving spinner or jig is alot smaller than an egg or worm.

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 17:44:37 (permalink)
    or is it because money talks and it makes the fly only guys happy to have their own areas away from others...hmm

the catch and release only thing is good in areas where their native and not stocked fish,but if their stocked fish i dont see the point.

the only thing that comes close is big bass regs in some areas...and its for the same reasons.

idk to me a trout stamps a trout stamp, sucks your excluded from fishing for trout in some areas :)P

post edited by wade alexander - 2011/10/07 17:59:50
    bigben7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 885
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 18:56:37 (permalink)
    10 years ago my local artificial only delayed harvest area had banned any molded soft plastic bait. i am not sure if that is still the case.

i am going to try to research this when i have the time myself.
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 19:23:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wade alexander

or is it because money talks and it makes the fly only guys happy to have their own areas away from others...hmm

the catch and release only thing is good in areas where their native and not stocked fish,but if their stocked fish i dont see the point.

the only thing that comes close is big bass regs in some areas...and its for the same reasons.

idk to me a trout stamps a trout stamp, sucks your excluded from fishing for trout in some areas :)P

But you arent really excluded, just use some spinners. They are hoping that the trout will live for more than a week in these creek, most have a decent flow and nice pools. The trout have a better chance of living there.  And its not because of the fly fishing guys, i fish almost 99% of the time with spinning gear and love the fact that they have DHALO and catch and release only creeks. I pay so they stock the trout, not so that everyone can take the trout except me. I like being able to fish after may for trout and these places allow me to do so.

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 19:55:40 (permalink)
    who says people using live bait or the gulp baits ect. keep any more fish than people fly fishing?

you can make the argument that more are gut hooked, but thats pretty much a giving anytime you cast jigs, or fall asleep on the bank with a bobber bouncing around :)P

theres limits on fish for a reason... some people fish for food some for fun.  

is just interesting because trout is no different than any other species of fish but this is the only place you see regs like that

post edited by wade alexander - 2011/10/07 20:00:50
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 20:18:54 (permalink)
    Special reg areas offer more opportunity for anglers to target trout, which is the most popular gamefish in this state.  They also make the PFBC trout stocking program a better investment, since these trout can be caught numerous times throughout the entire year (i.e. more bang for their buck). 

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 20:41:10 (permalink)
     they are cutting off a large portion of fishing areas, so yea they are offering more opportunity theres less pressure...

its just the catering to fly guys honestly. nothing against fly fishing, but it is what it is.

i can see where the topic of fly fishermen snobbery thread came from lol

is just funny  if its all about money id rather certain people just come out and say it "were catering to special interests F' you guys" then say oo its about substantiating  a fragile eco-balance of  pellet raised fish that wont make it thru the yr or live to reproduce...

post edited by wade alexander - 2011/10/07 20:46:12
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 22:36:05 (permalink)
    Please do quantify what "large" portions of fishing areas means to you.  Before you respond, bear in mind PA has over 10,000 miles of stocked/wild trout streams.

The special reg areas have nothing to do with establishing sustainable adult trout stocking in PA.  It is a way to get a better return on their stocked fish production and give more opportunity to anglers.  If you chose not to take advantage of the special reg areas, then so be it.    

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/07 23:19:08 (permalink)
    please its a joke...many portions of rivers and streams are pretty inaccessible. unless you got a machette or float it and get out along the way, occasionally carrying your canoe or kyak.

all your really stating man is yea we cater to the "fly guys" which is cool just why dont they buy a different tag or fish on private property;)

isnt nothing against you man i just dont agree with the regs. its discussed in many states/forums, with the same bs answers and all goes back to the same deal. theres money to be made pleasing pple and screwing others... isnt a big deal to me but pretty clear to see

Ymesss
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/08 09:44:23 (permalink)

post edited by Ymesss - 2011/10/08 09:47:24
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Special Regulations Question 2011/10/11 18:31:42 (permalink)
    not sure why i glanced at this thread but it got interesting to me as i kept reading.
    Wade A. i am interested in what you are asserting but let me insert a few things about this "catering to fly guys"

they are cutting off a large portion of fishing areas, so yea they are offering more opportunity theres less pressure...
    its just the catering to fly guys honestly. nothing against fly fishing, but it is what it is.

1. let's see as far as catering to fly guys and how much large portions fly fishing only takes away.
    there are less fly fishing only areas than counties in PA. a lot less so that isn't much on the catering side. if you check many of these fly fishing only areas are on private landowners property or at least surrounded by them. i'm sure if these areas were open to everyone they might get posted! (something to think about)

2. there are more miles of artificial lures only than fly fishing only areas. fly fishermen can use these areas as long as they stay within the artificial restriction. i don't consider this to a fly fishermen catering. if anything it's catering to artifical lure users which i would bet there are many more of them that do not use fly rods than do! so they are more catering to lure users than just fly guys.

3. do fly fishermen keep more fish than other fishermen? i'm not sure if there is an estimated count but i would bet they don't by a long shot. heck, all the Fly Fishing Only Areas are catch and release. do i need to say more if they only stay in these areas because they want a place to themselves?

4. stating that a few miles of streams in PA dedicated to flyfishermen and calling it catering is like saying the game commision caters to archers, muzzle loaders, trappers, and other PA commissions (lack of a better word) caters to off road vehicles, tour buses, etc..

5. i'm not sure how the special fishing restrictions happened along but i'm sure there were a group of special interest fishermen that asked for these small pieces of water for there own way of fishing. if you check these areas you may not know that some of these areas were very hard to reach the water until the fly guys, lets say, put in time and cleared the area to make it more fishable. quite a few of these areas are stocked by fly-fishing clubs or clubs who want the areas used for artificial lures.

6. if you have time ask questions about the DHAL area of the Neshannok creek. you'll find that a lot of the shore line was off limits in town to fishing all together. i heard it wasn't until the fish commission and the property owners came to an agreement of making it a DHAL only that they again let people on their private land to fish.

7. i too didn't care for the few restricted areas set aside for special regulations until i seen that these areas might not have been open to the public anyway.

8. oh, i hate the trout stamp. always did and always will! there is no other fishing in PA that you have to get taxed for to fish except trout.

9. if a fly guy had to buy a different tag to fish, i would say that the PA fish commission is picking on us

post edited by doubletaper - 2011/10/11 18:37:03

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: