9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE??

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Flying Fish
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 240
  • Reward points: 0
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 11:05:41 (permalink)
Over the years I've met some really good people on the creek while steelhead fishing. I have also met some real idiots too! But it had nothing to do with the setup they were using. Some people are genetically programed to be jackarses....it has nothing to do with the type of gear they use to fish with.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 11:08:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doubletaper

shutupnfish, i had some sarcastic remarks but didn't mean to get personal. truly sorry about that.
you pinners get razzed more than most on the boards so i had to give my UFA snobbish remarks.(i forgot to use the sarcastic font)
sometime i'll have to fish with you while you're pinning. i'll use whatever you are using to see if i can keep up with my fly rod techniques.

one thing a fly guy, using imitations, can't imitate and that is smell. yes i agree we are at a disadvantage. that's the kind of challenge i like.

I would certainly take you up on that DT anytime. Would be fun...I appreciate you clarifying...I think its pretty funny c-pinners get razzed so, but the stereotype gets old sometimes thats all (I need to lighten up too). I'm glad this didn't go where I'm sure the original poster wanted it to...Also glad to see we were better men than that. We are all out there after the same thing, satisfaction and contentness...We all just have different ways to achieve those...I truely appreciate that.

My sentiments exactly....Its Friday!!

doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 11:11:02 (permalink)
sheesh! i just got scolded from appoligizing to a pinner.
i see you pinners are having an outing. i'm banned from reading your thread!
maybe i'll see you guys on the crick, i'll bring my binocs to see who's upstream using that pencil float!

all in fun guys, all in fun.

post edited by doubletaper - 2011/09/30 11:12:03

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 11:29:06 (permalink)
but I'll give most fishermen out there the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being "sportsmen"

I agree SUF.  Stereotyping someone based on the rod they are carrying is total B.S.   I use my fly rods with both flys and bait, and also use a spinning rod in the winter and on the smallest tribs.  I've meet many respectful fisherman and also many total D bags fishing in Erie, both carrying every kind of rod imaginable. 

Last year fishing up high on one of the larger tribs,  I was using live minnows on my fly rod and standing next to a fellow from Colorado who was spin fishing and using bead head nymphs.  For a couple hours we fished a single run that everyone kept walking past and were both hammering fish after fish, must have caught about 8 fish each in that time span.  We joked about being backwards with our bait, and shared our successful techniques with each other.  The next weekend I found myself back at that same run hamming fish again on a bead head nymph while using my fly rod.  It was the first time ever, that I had actually done well and had a high catch rate using a fly on my fly rod.  That whole experience gave me more confidence in using artificial flys, even though I still prefer live minnows and single eggs.

Just wanted to share a positive experience fishing in Erie with everyone, as there have been nothing but negative posts regarding fellow fisherman lately.  My point is that there are good people out there and likely you will run into them if you stay away from the crowds and the areas mentioned in the first post of this thread.  Sometimes that means waiting until at least mid oct to start fishing, when there are more fish spread throughout the streams.
steeLpunishment
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 273
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 11:42:46 (permalink)
KO

i want to get in touch with my feminine side in hopa i will undRstand it

i have a flee pole set up
a camera
and a awesome stripper bASSket that double as a cooler and humidor

my question is

what cigar is currently "in"
what micro brew and wiskey

and most important

"drake punishment" is this a cool screen name?

let me no
i cant find the reel me
hopis the helpa
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 11:50:17 (permalink)
To get in touch with your feminine side, I'd recommend a nice Honey flavored Dominican like an Arturo Fuente...The new Honey flavored Jack Daniels, I feel, would compliment well with that cigar too. No micro brew needed after that.

Hoppa Helpass

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 12:40:47 (permalink)
Well I'm no "Flyfishing teacher", but I AM an expert on a-holes. I used to be one of the best there was, and have retained those skills for emergency use. Plus I encounter & observe a large number, and selection of a-holes on a daily basis.

An a-hole with a flyrod, was an a-hole before he ever picked up a flyrod. If he ever picks up a CP, he'll be an a-hole with a CP. If you run into him at the bowling alley ( Does anyone still bowl? ), he'll be an a-hole in bowling shoes. If you see him on the highway, he'll be an a-hole behind the wheel.

A-holes are a-holes, and they're EVERYWHERE. The best you can do is keep your distance when you recognize one. So you don't catch/spread it. Try to avoid high contact areas like the stop sign hole, log jam, chutes, etc. it could become an epidemic.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 13:44:17 (permalink)
I think DT dips his triple threats in Gulp juice..WF..I have seen him fish and he gotta be doing that.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 13:56:09 (permalink)
+10
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Well I'm no "Flyfishing teacher", but I AM an expert on a-holes. I used to be one of the best there was, and have retained those skills for emergency use. Plus I encounter & observe a large number, and selection of a-holes on a daily basis.

An a-hole with a flyrod, was an a-hole before he ever picked up a flyrod. If he ever picks up a CP, he'll be an a-hole with a CP. If you run into him at the bowling alley ( Does anyone still bowl? ), he'll be an a-hole in bowling shoes. If you see him on the highway, he'll be an a-hole behind the wheel.

A-holes are a-holes, and they're EVERYWHERE. The best you can do is keep your distance when you recognize one. So you don't catch/spread it. Try to avoid high contact areas like the stop sign hole, log jam, chutes, etc. it could become an epidemic.

doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 14:10:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: World Famous

I think DT dips his triple threats in Gulp juice..WF..I have seen him fish and he gotta be doing that.

tobacco juice maybe but not gulp!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

Kreamy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 14:28:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

very well said sir
joedv1218
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 14:39:26 (permalink)
I love steelhead season. See you in a couple weeks.

Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, No one can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 18:02:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: tommybanzai

PS: Cold weather and snow scares the trendy folks away. I love the solitude of 20* weather and snow flakes falling
in any state on any stream!

some folks is trendy, and some is trend setters ..that's ME, a trend setter!
cause i was wearing a mullet doo before mullets wuz coo

..L.T.A.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 18:18:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doubletaper

sheesh! i just got scolded from appoligizing to a pinner.
i see you pinners are having an outing. i'm banned from reading your thread!
maybe i'll see you guys on the crick, i'll bring my binocs to see who's upstream using that pencil float!

all in fun guys, all in fun.

I'll let you in on the skinny if I can get the time off to go.

The Pinners have let me join their outings with my fleapole, I think beacuse they have seen me cast and it can clear out a pretty good chunk of water for them. Kinda feel like the redheaded stepchild that is allowed to participate.

Spoon said it best there are aholes and you will run into them, they are everwhere.

I look down at no one for the tackle they are using and could care less. So any fleapole, pinner, bait dunker comments from me are truly in jest. Although the guys with Zebcos are a little different in my book.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 18:34:50 (permalink)
ANYONE is welcome to the pin outing....ANYONE.

swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 18:38:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Flying Fish

Over the years I've met some really good people on the creek while steelhead fishing. I have also met some real idiots too! But it had nothing to do with the setup they were using. Some people are genetically programed to be jackarses....it has nothing to do with the type of gear they use to fish with.

I completely disagree. From experience I have noticed spinning rod users to be camo sporting white trash. Pinners to be number ****s. Fly rod guys to be snaggers. The only respectable people out there are the two handed fly rod guys.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 18:44:30 (permalink)
Even swinger

FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 18:58:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: troutsnagger

Going to the Circus and complaining about the Clowns. That's funny.

Or worse, going to the circus, and complaining that there are circus acts.

Hey the clowns is much better, but I never saw that post.
post edited by FiveMilePete - 2011/09/30 19:01:12
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 19:02:05 (permalink)
I posted this a year or 3 back....still holds true

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
WG666
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 19:58:18 (permalink)
OK guys I appreciate all the responses!  Let me clarify a few things....first, the guy calling me stupid for fishing with spinning tackle is absolutely TRUE...no bullshat....I couldnt have made that up....as for the circus, I fully expected one at Manchester and was pleasantly surprised that at 5am I was the only one there (everyone else was at the CHutes) I hadnt been there in over 10 years, and only went there to see the stream conditions, which were dead low and clear....so I left and went to Elk, Where I usually fish. I fully expected a ton of guys there, but I can fish in a crowd easily!

My name is Bill, Im from Philly and work in the area alot and get a ton of "free" fishing time, I wear an Eagle's hat and catch all kinds of crap from other football teams fans, all in good fun (since I know the Eagles will NEVER win a Superbowl).....I have fished with ShutupandFIsh (remember Paul?  with my kids, etc) and his buddies and think hes a nice guy.I didnt want to start a shatstorm between differing types o fisherman, only wanted to ask about the preponderence of flyfishermen (some of which were obviously cluelessly beating the water) and the apperance of pinners(which I see in the Salmon River obviously lifting/lining fish)....it was a wierd site at least to me, and just wondered if some of these guys knew what they were doing.......

I agree with some of the guys who said that there are some nice guys out there fishing and totally agree!  I have helped many guys out who were fishing 20 pd test, giant trebles, etc and got them fishing jigs, single eggs, etc.I honestly dont care how people fish, just seems that the trendy thing is gettin outta control, and like one guy said it seems like "they dont even know what they dont know"....I have seen a lot of steelies lined by guys who think that they all hit with the outside corner of their mouths........not that I care, I just think they dont know what they are doing,just following someones else's instructions, etc

Sorry to get everyone stirred up!
WG666
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 20:00:22 (permalink)
BTW what is the UFA that I wont be invited too??
krott243
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 20:01:09 (permalink)
Catch and release from Rt 5 to the lake would solve many problems.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 20:09:46 (permalink)
Nope! It would just relocate them, at best.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 20:20:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: coldfront

nice post, spoonchucker. in the end, it's fishing. nothing more. it's an escape, it's fun, sometimes it's a meal. death and illness and job loss and wars are serious. fishing is fun. for the little time we all get out, enjoy it. use what you will. it's no one's business what you use. people are screwed up anymore. everyone looks like a model out of cabela's or an orvis catalog. i have even heard comments about fishermen wearing a camo jacket. if that is the only warm or waterproof outer garment that you have, then wear it. it's no one's business. go fishing and enjoy yourself. shheeeeeeshh.

Good post from you, too. You got that right! I always think of Alan Iverson's it's just practice, and apply it to both golf and fishing. It's just fishing.Some of the younger folks have to go through some hard times to figure that out. Look at the stone on the path on lower 20 mile, and you'll remember, it's just fishing.
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 20:35:12 (permalink)
Much nicer post WG...

I was just bustin arse anyway duud....that time o year.

I gotta brown hat and no teef....sometimes I hold hands with a fat redhead....can't miss me.

I choose Little Cleos

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 21:47:36 (permalink)
Camo is out....Ive evolved to fish-o -flauge.....

I choose Little Cleos

NeFiShNeTiMe
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 303
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 22:01:04 (permalink)
What is the frickin big deal about steel fishing and what you use and/or wear? I just dont understand and quite frankley I think its bull****. More people need to get along. I have seen people fish with anything from sticks to hak saw blades and catch the same fish as the Guy with the Orvis gear and a 600$ rod. Who cares just have fun, keep the sport a sport not a fashion statement! Share a good spot with somebody and somebody will share a good spot with you.

""THERE’S NOTHING LIKE A SMALL MOUTH ON A STIFF ROD""
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 22:26:15 (permalink)
you are not a good fisherman unless you wear high end clothes.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 22:39:09 (permalink)
It's true. I dress poorly and I suck at fishing.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

krott243
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
RE: 9/28/2011 Report aka what has happened to ERIE?? 2011/09/30 23:28:29 (permalink)
What I find funny is the guys with nice rods and reels, decked out in simms gear and cannot even cast or understand the fact that when ur fly line if downstream of your fly dragging it three times faster than the water is moving, your not gonna catch a fish. Ran into too many of this type so far. They will learn eventually.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: