LockedDid Ya see this new law ===

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 14:34:54 (permalink)
If someone causes the search they pay for it... I absolutely agree.

But if they died, who pays?

if they have kids, who pays for them until they are 18? (I believe current SS survivor benefits are around $700/month per kid or something like that)... paid by taxpayers
if they have kids who pays for the kids' medical care when the family income is cut in half or worse? CHIP? Medical assistance?.... paid by taxpayers
who pays for the investigation time needed to find the cause of the accident?

Even if they don't die, or don't have dependants, who pays for their medical care if they are severely injured (physically or even worse, brain injured)?
Most normal medical insurances have limits, or extreme copays that would bankrupt many families, again causing them to fall back on State or Federal health care...

The state isn't going to make enough in fines in a year to cover what 1 death or severe injury would cost the state or federal gov't in the long run.

I don't know what the 'perfect answer' is to balance person rights vs states rights (or in this case I would even use the term tax payer's rights)
Maybe require those who don't want to use the available safety gear to sign waivers allowing no tax supported benefits because of their choice?

Everyone has the choice about following any law, but if you choose to not do so, shouldn't your (or your survivors) rights be negated when it comes to collecting benefits for care required due to your act? If you want the right to choose, be prepared to be responsible for the consequences of that choice.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 14:40:07 (permalink)
What if the father goes overboard while fishing with his kds and drowns or dies of hypothermia....a couple youngsters out in the middle of a lake in the cold....anyone else in any sort of danger?? Seatbelt or Helmut the same?? I don't think so...

D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 14:50:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fisherlady2

if they have kids, who pays for them until they are 18? (I believe current SS survivor benefits are around $700/month per kid or something like that)... paid by taxpayers
if they have kids who pays for the kids' medical care when the family income is cut in half or worse? CHIP? Medical assistance?.... paid by taxpayers

Even if they don't die, or don't have dependants, who pays for their medical care if they are severely injured (physically or even worse, brain injured)?
Most normal medical insurances have limits, or extreme copays that would bankrupt many families, again causing them to fall back on State or Federal health care...

The state isn't going to make enough in fines in a year to cover what 1 death or severe injury would cost the state or federal gov't in the long run.

I don't know what the 'perfect answer' is to balance person rights vs states rights (or in this case I would even use the term tax payer's rights)
Maybe require those who don't want to use the available safety gear to sign waivers allowing no tax supported benefits because of their choice?

Everyone has the choice about following any law, but if you choose to not do so, shouldn't your (or your survivors) rights be negated when it comes to collecting benefits for care required due to your act? If you want the right to choose, be prepared to be responsible for the consequences of that choice.

I am prepared.

All of those problems are the same if the person is wearing a life jacket and dies of hypothermia within minutes anyway. So, in the cold weather months what does this law accomplish, really? I'd say, nothing.

Can my family sue the PFBC for not saving me fast enough?
BenC
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 14:51:32 (permalink)
I dont know the numbers but I would guess that more people are affected by skin cancer each year than boating accidents. According to Grendel and Sharpfly's logic, the government should enforce sun-block use for boaters, right?

D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 14:51:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

What if the father goes overboard while fishing with his kds and drowns or dies of hypothermia....a couple youngsters out in the middle of a lake in the cold....anyone else in any sort of danger?? Seatbelt or Helmut the same?? I don't think so...

If the youngsters aren't capable that is, old enough to operate the boat on their own, in an emergency, they should not be out in that kind of cold weather. That means, the father is a dumass for putting them in that situation to begin with.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 14:52:29 (permalink)
Why does he have a couple of youngsters out in the middle of the lake in the cold. -----We need another law---- No kids under 18 out in the middle of the lake when the temp is below 50 degrees.
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 14:54:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

ORIGINAL: Fisherlady2

I am prepared.

All of those problems are the same if the person is wearing a life jacket and dies of hypothermia within minutes anyway. So, in the cold weather months what does this law accomplish, really? I'd say, nothing.

Can my family sue the PFBC for not saving me fast enough?

Makes the bodies easier to find...
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 14:59:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

Why does he have a couple of youngsters out in the middle of the lake in the cold. -----We need another law---- No kids under 18 out in the middle of the lake when the temp is below 50 degrees.

I agree. Let's petition the PFBC. They are clearly not thinking of the children!

Random assessments of what is or isn't good for me, by the government, is a great thing!
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9828
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 15:03:22 (permalink)
What if a kid is on the back of a motor cycle, with father without a helmut. It goes over an embankement, and kills the father. Who is there to rescue the kid and recover the bike?

What if the same thing happens in a car. Who is there to resuce the kid and recover the car?

Regardless, why is it or just about anything that common sense should provide, a law?

BenC's analogy of sunblock is perfect.

edit - I thought that was S-10 that said that.
post edited by Porktown - 2011/09/29 15:05:32
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 15:10:05 (permalink)
S-10's analogy of sunblock is perfect.

Thanks for that but it was Ben-C not me. I agree it is a good analogy---This country was founded on personal responsibility and the more power the king "or in this case the government" has the more we suffer.
Grendel
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1675
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 15:22:19 (permalink)
I wonder if 1/2 of those posting here actually read what they post. Really scary stuff...

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 15:36:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Grendel

I wonder if 1/2 of those posting here actually read what they post. Really scary stuff...

I agree. The government not protecting me at every turn is very scary. Please help! Oh no!

So, who mentioned not being able to afford a life jacket?
post edited by D-nymph - 2011/09/29 15:37:15
Grendel
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 15:50:23 (permalink)
Yeah, its smart to go out on cold water in a small craft without a PFD...how dumb am I?...Stupid is as stupid does and please dont ask to be rescued 'cos you know better...lol

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Grendel
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 15:58:00 (permalink)
Hey...if the collective mentality on here views this as a move on the part of government to make your lives miserable - then it must be right? I mean, playing victim is so fashionable in this country these days. Big Brother always against us poh folks...Mastah' out of his mind again...etc...I concur, this law makes no sense at all....lmao
post edited by Grendel - 2011/09/29 16:01:12

D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:06:49 (permalink)

Yeah, its smart to go out on cold water in a small craft without a PFD...how dumb am I?...Stupid is as stupid does and please dont ask to be rescued 'cos you know better...lol

Who said it was smart? The same people who said "they can't afford a PFD but can afford booze and smokes", those would be the people in your head, yes?

Several people did say, it's not any of the government's business what they do in their boats, smaller than 16' in December.

Are you still a deputy with the PFBC?
Grendel
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:16:41 (permalink)
Look D - you know as awell as i do folks wil complain about the prices they have to pay to play (fishing licenses being #1), yet those same folks will fill their pockets with smokes and hit the bars. It was a general inference...I would think that you would recognize this...

As long as people use COMMONWEALTH waters, they will be bound by the rules and regulations set forth. If one does not want to wear their rubber ducky while in the privacy of their own home - then that is their RIGHT! I assumed you would know that...guess I was wrong...

Porktown
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:25:10 (permalink)
I'm looking to hammer some still. Thinking to come mup next week. With gas prices the way they are, any yinz know how far them still are on Walnut. I usually hit the wall, but thinking to venture up stream past the bridge out side of the parking lot. I heard them still swim up that far n'at. Anyone know if power bait works on them still up ere? Is it fine to rope 3 and keep on fishin?

Thanks in advance.

BTW - I've been fishen still for about 40 years.
post edited by Porktown - 2011/09/29 16:26:20
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:25:47 (permalink)

Look D - you know as awell as i do folks wil complain about the prices they have to pay to play (fishing licenses being #1), yet those same folks will fill their pockets with smokes and hit the bars. It was a general inference...I would think that you would recognize this...

As long as people use COMMONWEALTH waters, they will be bound by the rules and regulations set forth. If one does not want to wear their rubber ducky while in the privacy of their own home - then that is their RIGHT! I assumed you would know that...guess I was wrong...

Honestly, as soon as someone says "the same people who say or do X also the same people saying or doing Y" I immediately ignore their point, if there is one. You, being a professor, should know better than to speak like that and expect to be taken seriously.

Yes, the people are bound by the rules set forth on the COMMONWEALTH waters. However, that does not mean the the people have to blindly agree with their government.

Are you for this rule, because it'll give you more of an opportunity to bust out your badge, deputy dog? Just askin'.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:29:11 (permalink)
I usually hit the wall,

Be sure to wear your life jacket. People have fallen off there you know.
Porktown
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:30:35 (permalink)
Can't, spent all my money on smokes...
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:31:47 (permalink)
Are you for this rule, because it'll give you more of an opportunity to bust out your badge, deputy dog? Just askin'.

I didn't realize he was "da man". End of conversation
BenC
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:32:12 (permalink)
So you see it as 2 separate entities: "people" and "Comomonwealth"? And how it works is the "Commonwealth" owns everything and the "people" have to obey whatever the "Commonwealth" says because its nice enough to let the "people" use its resources?

Wow, you want to talk about scary...
Grendel
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:34:50 (permalink)
As to the last comment - you have made the same general error I made with the money issue. the ruling has no bearing on my status apart from being an owner of a kayak. If you wish to challenge my statement on this I can certainly supply you with names and numbers for verification purposes.

That would make us even up to this point. However, I get a point for an error you make...

"Several people did say, it's not any of the government's business what they do in their boats." That is much different than what you posted "that does not mean the the people have to blindly agree with their government." So are they complaining or challenging the authority of the governmnet to make decisions on COMMONWELATH waters? Please clarify. Complaining is fine, however challenging the right of the government in this case is less than informed. Reading the State Constitution would clarify any misgivings on this.

Which one will it be?

post edited by Grendel - 2011/09/29 16:36:16

D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:35:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BenC

So you see it as 2 separate entities: "people" and "Comomonwealth"? And how it works is the "Commonwealth" owns everything and the "people" have to obey whatever the "Commonwealth" says because its nice enough to let the "people" use its resources?

Wow, you want to talk about scary...

Indeed, but Grendel is a professor, therefore he knows more then you and his opinion is also more valuable than yours.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:37:25 (permalink)

That would make us even up to this point. However, I get a point for an error you make...

"Several people did say, it's not any of the government's business what they do in their boats." That is much different thatn what you posted "that does not mean the the people have to blindly agree with their government." So are they complaining or challenging the authority of the governmnet to make decisions on COMMONWELATH waters? Please clarify. Complaining is fine, however challenging the right of the government in this case is less than informed.

Which one will it be?

you can't be serious.
Grendel
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:42:51 (permalink)
wow...I will type slower..

Those who indicate that that it's not any of the government's businesswhat they do in their boats are in error? True or False?

Complaining, albeit, disagreeing with government, is completely well within an individuals right. True or False?

They are not the same question....hint...hint...

D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:45:48 (permalink)
haha, this isn't your into to Criminal Justice class, bro.

The law is ridiculous. I won't abide by it. Hope to see you on the river, deputy. You can write me a ticket, I'll give you a beer, from the cooler in the boat, if you print neatly.
Grendel
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:50:41 (permalink)
LMAO! If you only had the slightest clue! I can assure you that no ticket will be coming from me. Take me up on that verification challenge and show the boards how smart you are...

Slainte Mhath bro!

D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:53:48 (permalink)

LMAO! If you only had the slightest clue! I can assure you that no ticket will be coming from me.

Oh, ok. No problem then.
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
RE: Did Ya see this new law === 2011/09/29 16:56:43 (permalink)

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: