Shenango River Walleye and White Bass

Author
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/18 18:49:37 (permalink)

Shenango River Walleye and White Bass

Quick question, I usually fish the Shenango in Sharpsville in the summer for bass and stuff, but this spring I tried it out right below the dam the weekend before walleye season opened and did VERY well with eyes and white bass. For a while there it was a fish every other cast. Do they normally stack up like that in the spring? Or was it just a one time deal?

7 Replies Related Threads

no-time
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Shenango River Walleye and White Bass 2011/09/19 10:15:36 (permalink)
    keep going and checking it out
    then let us know also.
    spg
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Shenango River Walleye and White Bass 2011/09/19 11:06:54 (permalink)
    "but this spring I tried it out right below the dam the weekend before walleye season opened and did VERY well with eyes and white bass. For a while there it was a fish every other cast. Do they normally stack up like?" 

That's why you caught them  the season wasn't in.  If the fish were stacked like that during the season it wouldn't take long for the word to get out.  They have always did good the first couple of days of the eye  season than it slacks off.  There are periods of the year when the fishing can be really great in the river and other times it can be a dead sea. 

When I was a lot younger you had to have at least 5 or 6 dozen crawlers every time you went to the river to fish.  It resembled the spring time fishing at Pymatuninng when the eyes make the spawning runs.  If you got there late you had to wait until some one caught thier limit just to get a spot to fish.

Keep fishing it as much as you can and you'll find the pattern to catching them year round.  An old timer that use to fish the river with a fly rod for eyes told me one time that the fish haven't gone any where, they're  still there, it's your job to present a bait that the fish want.  Just make them want to attack your bait.
    CU@theriver
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Shenango River Walleye and White Bass 2011/09/19 12:24:58 (permalink)
     PA FBC just sampled the river below the dam and only caught 10 walleye and no striped bass. you can read the report on their website. I've floated the river from the dam to sharon many times this summer and caught some nice bass. the spring is best for walleye and trout
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Shenango River Walleye and White Bass 2011/09/19 14:57:29 (permalink)
    I have caught walleye in there year round, but it was only like a fish or 2 per trip(if that), nothing like it was the week before the opener. And yea I kinda fiqured that they were in there so thick because since it wasn't in season you couldn't keep any, but I'm sure a lot of fish get taken out once you can keep them. There were actually a lot of people there that day fishing for them, C&R of course.

I also saw the PFBC report. Did they sample the pool RIGHT below the dam at all, or just everywhere else downstream?
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Shenango River Walleye and White Bass 2011/09/19 15:19:49 (permalink)
    the dam at sharpsville? its hit or miss... they pop out stick around if they feel like it and head on down the river. ive had days were guys are catching small cats nonstop, a few white bass or striper and few walleye... i lost a couple last time i was there.  would prolly do better wading out in it tho im geussing from what ive heard. its pretty heavily fished right there but is easy night fishing
    moose22dog
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Shenango River Walleye and White Bass 2011/09/29 13:13:24 (permalink)
    next time take a heaver action rod and throw them white bass out for some flaties

your "game fish" is my bait.....got flathead!!
    gary3414
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Shenango River Walleye and White Bass 2011/10/03 16:43:33 (permalink)
    I can go to the wall and catch walleye and stripers any day of the week. They are normally small though. The trick is knowing where to cast and what to use for bait.
    Jump to: