NY trip coming up

Author
budsaddiction
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/15 19:27:19 (permalink)

NY trip coming up

Im leaving for my first salmon trip to oak orchard with some buddies for nine days .We are leaving Oct 14th . I have been doing some reading about the fishing in the ny tribs and to be honest im having some second thoughts .it sounds to me like its just a drunken snagfest .I have absolutly no desire to spend nine days watching people burying hooks in the sides of salmon .i took the vacation days to go already , and ive been tying like a mad man for the last month . i guess im just curious if this is what i have to look forward to .

Those who know do not tell, those who tell do not know

23 Replies Related Threads

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/15 19:55:45 (permalink)
    I have plans to purchase a NY license in Oct. as well and will be fishing oak orchard as well. I have heard some of the same concerns as you have heard and if that be the case after my first fishing experience there I will not be returning again. Its not my cup-o-tea. I dont fish the project waters at walnut either for that reason. 

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    fish whisperer
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/15 20:24:12 (permalink)
    Its pretty rough up there I used to go but dont anymore, but if your lucky there will be some browns in stream
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/15 20:25:03 (permalink)
    deet I like to helpa
    you no i do
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGrW3fg7WSc

my bud made this helpa video for the greater help of all

hopeistheA help
    6point7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/15 21:03:13 (permalink)
    Doesn't look like a drunken snagfest to me.
    Have a nice time up there Bud.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/15 21:06:31 (permalink)
    I've fished oak orchards a couple times and the salmon river many times.  If you have time, check out sandy creek which is really close to oak orchards.  It's a smaller stream and gets excellent runs of large brown trout with way less pressure than the salmon rivers.  I'm not sure how good it will be for browns in the middle of Oct because they usually come in a little later after the salmon, but definitely worth checking out.

As far as salmon go if you want to catch them legally I would recommend trying close to the lake and catching some fresh fish entering the river.  By the time they get upstream for any period of time, they go down hill quick, start turning black, and are quickly on their death bed rotting away with lock jaw. 

You probably won't find salmon spread out between large pools as much as you will steelhead, unless they are on the move.  This tends to promote everyone congregating close together around the major pools and partaking in the drunken snag fest that you mentioned.  Unfortunately it can get worse than Walnut on a Saturday with perfect water conditions.  Let us know how the trip goes and what your experience was like when you get back.  You're definitely going to be up there at the right time.   

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/15 21:10:55 (permalink)
    Dat helpa a lot bud 

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    budsaddiction
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/15 21:19:56 (permalink)
    thanks fellas , ill definatly let ya know how it goes .i plan on doin some exploring while im there , hopefully the middle of the week will prove to be some quality time . I thought ahead enough to take my own truck, so worst case scenario ill drive west .

Those who know do not tell, those who tell do not know
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/16 01:17:23 (permalink)
    If you can't handle the project waters on Walnut then you DEFINITELY can't handle Burt (18 mile) or Oak Orchard during salmon season... Only place that I've almost had to choke someone over a **** fish. Now if theres enough water, there are plenty of alternatives within close proximity of those two waterways that get considerably less pressure. I'm sure someone can put you on the right track.

Don't get me wrong, it can be fun fishin' those two places, and you can catch lots of fish... Just have to go with the right state of mind.

-Tim
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/16 01:23:20 (permalink)
    By the way most of the snaggers are "fly fishermen" lifting and lining the $hit out of big ugly Kings. Bunch of losers.

-Tim
    spawnboy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/16 05:07:21 (permalink)
    Been goin the last week of Oct. for years now, it is not for the faint hearted thats for sure.It is by far the most piggish fishery i have ever witnessed, the weekdays are FAR less crowded with people than the weekends. There will be ocean poles filled with weedeater line everywhere yelling goodhook when u can clearly see that the fish had gotten it in exit and not the entrance.lol Also we have had luck tying white powerbait inside of red and blue spawnsacs, found this after we ran out of eggs to tie one day and it worked great especially for the browns but the kings will eat the stuff also. I personally use a 8'-6" ugly stick with 12-14 pound line with hopes of landing some kings, and do well with that set-up, good luck hope u do well. PS buy splitshot before u go trust me u will thank me later!
    PAFLYBOY2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/16 08:01:49 (permalink)
    My advice would be to stay away from the dam on the Oak. That, in my experience, is where the "drunken snag-festers" seem to congregate. It's usually not quite as bad downsteam although it can still be like a typical Elk Creek pool near a parking area-like crowd. Depending on the weather mid October could be a little early for good runs of fish, although there should certainly be some salmon in. You should definitely check with the local shops(Orleans Outdoors?) for the latest fishing reports. It would certainly help if you are willing to move around to other rivers. The Salmon should have some good fishing around then if you are willing to drive that far. Good luck and tight lines!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/16 08:03:19 (permalink)
    Do most of you tune out the rest of the world whenever you're fighting a fish? I do.

Its something I think every salmonid fisherman should experience at least once in their lives....then go from there. I like to fish NY late.

pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3427
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/16 08:23:01 (permalink)
    Erie is a joke, just sayin'....

Ill take Lake O over the farse that has become ANY Pa. water.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/16 08:55:02 (permalink)
    Farse? What do you mean by that....just curious to what you mean...can you ellaborate?

carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/16 08:58:22 (permalink)
    Most of the snagging is at the oak.....Witch we did for years....Now we do burt dam and 80% of the fish are in the mouth....10' salmon,steelhead rod's 10# P line and large sucker spawn....Just don't be shy.. fish your way and you will do fine....The main thing is have fun!!!!!
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/16 11:11:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pensfan1

Erie is a joke, just sayin'....

Ill take Lake O over the farse that has become ANY Pa. water.

its like erie is the trout pool at a sportsman show

for kids

hopeisthe helpa

at least NY has fish that can hurt me
    i like that

and in 2 hours Im on my way

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/16 13:27:03 (permalink)
    at least NY has fish that can hurt me
    i like that

Wow you better stick to the kiddie pool making a comment like that!  lol  Once the NY fish stop hurting you, then you'll be ready to graduate to the big boy pool. 
    Rem51
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/16 23:51:30 (permalink)
    I must say I prefer Erie over NY anytime, but I make a few round trip runs in October. Start in Pulaski go to Burt then down to Erie. If you like combat fishing pull up your waders and go to the dam at Burt. Even if you don't fish you can work off a lot of stress laughing at the mess. I usually stay down further between the start of the faster water and the overpass. Have caught some great fish there. And Yes Sandy Creek is good if there is water. Stay away form the DSR in Pulaski they charge (an arm and the whole leg) and you can't keep any steelies or other trout or atlantic's, only the other salmon.

My only suggestion is since your going to be there for a few days take one of the first days, get the maps off of the salmon side of this site and go check out the areas, you will see some great places to fish, and will meet some good people.

Lower Pa.
    Hooken up is easy, its getting rid of them thats hard.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/17 05:28:03 (permalink)
    I'll be at the Douglaston Salmon Run property October 7 and 8....It's a really nice piece of water and the $45 keeps most of the riff-raff out....The non-paying public areas are mostly good for laughs....Last year, at the trestle hole, I swear they were gonna rebuild the german wall as all hell broke lose with the two sides of the stream screaming at each other in Russian for an hour.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/17 05:37:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: chartist

I'll be at the Douglaston Salmon Run property October 7 and 8....It's a really nice piece of water and the $45 keeps most of the riff-raff out....The non-paying public areas are mostly good for laughs....Last year, at the trestle hole, I swear they were gonna rebuild the german wall as all hell broke lose with the two sides of the stream screaming at each other in Russian for an hour.

OH lets all bow down to the great Chartist .............. How does it keep the riff raff out when you are still going.........You sir need to get a check on life in general and yes I got up on the wrong side of the bed............. I hope you catch lots of............. Crabs

Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/17 19:34:29 (permalink)
    The Salmon is clogged with cohos right now. I'm going.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/18 07:24:16 (permalink)
    If you go to Burt, go in early with your friends with a flashlight and tie up the run below the trestle.[right at the bottom of the path] If the water isn't to low you could have a good morning and only be fishing with your friends. the circus will be upstream from you. Your trip is probably too early for a lot of Browns, hopefully there will be cohoes. They are more apt to take than the Kings. I would use 8lb. leader max. F.... the kings If you hook one odds are good it's fouled or lined, don't worry about your leader size or if it breaks off.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: NY trip coming up 2011/09/18 09:46:59 (permalink)
    I was getting broke off using 12 lb tippet and even 15 lb....then went to 20 lb ...fair hooked a nice king in the 25 lb class in the DSR above the glide in the little black hole....it was a rather lengthy battle as I only had a 7 weight 11 foot fly rod....
    Jump to: