2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Plum Bob
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 575
  • Reward points: 0
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 10:35:05 (permalink)
Steelhead are a lot better than people give them credit for. Do prefer the smaller fish to eat, 18-22". I like them wrapped in foil with a little butter steamed on the grill. One packet of steelhead another packet of potatoes, onions, and peppers. Not bad, not bad at all! Now that I've cleared up the issue of whether sthd are good to eat or not i'm out of here, a trolling I will go. Can't catch anything sitting on my **** in front of the computer.
Pafisher4
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 12:44:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Then I have a simple marinade for the fillets that I soak in for a minimum of half a day. Then on the grille....

What is the marinade that you use? I usually just sprinkle some "Season All" on the steel and lay them on the grill. Quick and simple and I love it, but I'm trying to find some other ways to cook them up.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 14:25:54 (permalink)
"I have counted over 200 people from the Wall to the top of Manchester on some days. If half of those people keep 3 fish that's 300 fish just in 1 day on the 'Nut."

Have you ever actually watched them for a day? How many times have you ever seen "half of them" CATCH even one, let alone catch & keep 3? Most people's view of the number of fish kept is highly skewed. As they they take notice of a person carrying a stringer out. Yet pay no notice to the numerous others, that release every fish caught, or don't even catch one. When I can catch 10-20-even 30+ fish miles upstream in December. I really can't see that there is an overharvest issue down below preventing the fish from getting up there.

Riverbum,

When they do creel surveys, they put a substantial effort into it. It's not just a WCO going down to "the wall", or Elk access, and asking a couple dozen anglers. I believe them to be fairly accuate. But let's say they are off by an unheard of 50%. That would still leave harvest rates at 33%. Far from the armeggedon that many depict here.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 14:36:13 (permalink)
+1 for spoon

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 15:03:32 (permalink)
Have to agree with SUF on the Steelies being palatable.

I had cooked a few in the past and they were disgusting.
I didn't bleed them, drug them around all day, and then put them in the freezer for a while.

I hadn't eaten one in over 20 years until I tried some SUF had prepared at the Pinner outing.
Some of the tastiest trout I have ever eaten, and I will keep a few this year just for the grill and the smoker.

Kinda like King Nuke and Bigslick cooking perch, if you know what you are doing the fish taste fantastic.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 15:06:47 (permalink)
There are. Stocking has been fairly consistent at around 1.2 million. As has harvest rates, at around 22%.

Are you saying the harvest rate is 22% of 1.2 million (which seems extremely high) or 22% of the number caught?
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 15:35:00 (permalink)
S-10,

That's 22% of fiish caught. It wouldn't be 22% of 1.2 million anyway. As nowhere near 100% of fish stocked survive to return. The percentage ( of return ) varies each year, and is the primary factor in lower numbers in the streams the past couple of years. Not over harvest.

Even the dramatically lower numbers of fish above the "falls" on Walnut have little to do with increased harvest, or the falls. Part of it is the lower return rate which is cyclical, and has been directly correlated with Walleye population. Part of it is angler pressure ( fish caught, not necessarily harvested ) between the chutes & the falls. The falls are no higher, and the number of anglers at peak capacity ( you can't fit any more in ) between the lake &b the falls for well over 10 years. The falls are passable when the water is up. The problem has been that by the time we get water levels up, water temps are down. Between cold water, and having been caught, and harrased for two months the fish don't have the energy to "jump" the falls. I think a lack of holding water directly above the falls plays a part as well. The fish have no place to rest, and drop back down.

At least that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 15:57:32 (permalink)
I also believe imprinting ( or lack of it ) plays a role as well. All the tributaries in penna. flow from only two watersheds. The fish imprint on the watershed, rather than individual stream. If conditions are not favorable in one stream, they swim along to the next. Genie is right that the urge ton spawn will draw them TO the streams at a certainn time regardless of conditions. However our strain of Steelhead has been "muttized" to the point where that "urge" doesn't occur in ALL the fish at the same time. Where that "urge" to run might have at one time occured with 80-90 percent of the fish in early fall. It may now only occur in 60-70 percent of the fish ( maybe less ) in early fall. While the rest get the urge later on, or even in the spring.

Also, while urge to run may be there. That doesn't mean they will, or will stick around if the water is not to their liking. They may stay in, or return to the lake, and hang out till the last minute. Then making a final frenzied push upstream, doing their thing, and dropping back out in a matter of a couple days. One of the reasons why you'll see ( especially in the spring ) a stretch of water "loaded" one day, and barren the next.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 16:21:25 (permalink)
What is the marinade that you use? I usually just sprinkle some "Season All" on the steel and lay them on the grill. Quick and simple and I love it, but I'm trying to find some other ways to cook them up.

It is quite simple...Ingredients: Steelhead/Salmon fillets skin on! fresh lemon, olive oil, fresh parsley, fresh garlic fresh ground black pepper and Lowreys/orSea Salt - The ingredients I used at the outing were NOT fresh and it still came out good due to the freshness of the fish IMO.

PREPERATION: Completely rinse the fish in fresh water and clean any blood or slime...Then, I pat the fish completely dry in a shallow baking dish(this is key), Squeeze lemon juice all over the meat side of fillets. Then drizzle with oil. Salt and pepper according to taste. Add the chopped garlic and parsley and you could even use the zest from the lemon as well (Iv'e also substituted the lemon with and orange with good results.) Let sit in the fridge overnight or for a few hours(you can re coat the fillets with a spoon of the oil mixture that drips to bottom of pan).

COOKING: Preheat your grille to 350*...brush the surface with olive oil to prevent sticking. Add your fillets and let grill for approx 7 to 12 minutes or maybe more depending on thickness, do not overcook!...you will know when they are about done when the white fat starts to ooze out of the meat and the meat becomes flakey.....NEVER turn...The meat comes right off the skin and pin bones are easily removed....DELLLEEEEEEESH!!

Have you ever actually watched them for a day? How many times have you ever seen "half of them" CATCH even one, let alone catch & keep 3? Most people's view of the number of fish kept is highly skewed. As they they take notice of a person carrying a stringer out. Yet pay no notice to the numerous others, that release every fish caught, or don't even catch one. When I can catch 10-20-even 30+ fish miles upstream in December. I really can't see that there is an overharvest issue down below preventing the fish from getting up there.

Perfectly written.
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/09/14 16:27:30

Pafisher4
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 18:51:49 (permalink)
SUF, thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try it out next time.
Riverbum
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 294
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 20:04:32 (permalink)
Thanks Spoon. I wasn't being as skeptical as I was being curious. Your later comments have been the most logical I read on here. I'm also a big believer in the "imprint" theory.

I also believe that there are plenty of fish to be caught. I avoid the access points and love walking the creeks. I'll catch my share and let them all go. Thought I'd puke the first and last time I ever ate steelhead.

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

><>er man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/14 21:30:55 (permalink)
i grill my steelhead fillets skin side down start off with some garlic butter and just before i take it off the grill i galze them with a homemade rootbeer sauce good stuff also goes good on turkey, goose, and chicken
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 00:08:22 (permalink)
Smoking them seems to be the preferred method of BURYING the taste

Salmon, steelhead, and trout are the best fish you can smoke because their oily flesh holds the smoke better than other fish.  To suggest smoking steelhead is mainly done to bury the taste is absurd.  Clean and ice a silver fish shortly after being caught, prepare it fresh without freezing, and it can taste incredible.  Keep an old moldy fish and drag it around the creek till it's stiff, or throw any fish in the cooler unprocessed for an entire day before cleaning it  and it's going to be strong tasting.

Some of my favorite ways to eat them besides smoking are;  steelhead patties, beer battered and pan fried with tarter sauce, grilled with fresh lemon and pepper, baked with butter, breadcrumbs, paprika, fresh lemon on top and stuffed with lump crab meat, or how about a steelhead and asparagus chowder.  I'm making myself hungry now, are they below rt 5 yet? 
SevenMileShowcase
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 542
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 00:22:23 (permalink)
Me and my pals have been keeping the fish we catch and putting them all in foil, all fillets. We use butter and salt and pepper and a little quacker stake and lube golden garlic. We just did it this year but we roast em over a propane grill while we fish. It has definately made me consider keeping steelhead this year
kylerloveshotdogs
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 02:17:24 (permalink)
you and your pals are skinny like logan though dude

you need me to help you eat to get bigger? I know lot of combos

MMM hotdogs in my belly make me happy guy. My wife says no no kyler, you stop eating you getting bigger you will need new waders
joebaker79
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 805
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 04:06:57 (permalink)
If you keep silver fish only and prepare them properly they are incredible. Just like duck...most hunters can't even eat it, yet a properly cooked duckbreast that is rendered in it's own fat until the skin is crispy and the meat is mid rare....mmmmmmm. But to each his own. I keep a few a season and here is a list of ways I have prepared them...with excellent results. These have gone over well with my parents who grew up eating Oregon salmon and steelhead and also my in laws who are incredible cooks and picky fish eaters.

Breaded in panko, fried
smoked, plain and into dips and spreads
gravlax
baked a dozen different ways
grilled whole
pan seared with garlic and white wine sauce
blackend cajun style
chowders and bisques
baked and finished with a dijon potato chip crust
teriyaki style on the grill
kabobbed with veggies and marinated in a caribbean lime sauce
pan seared or baked with dill sauce
fish cakes
grilled and finished with olive oil, lemon, thyme, dill, garlic, chives, and sea salt & pepper
ceviche
carpaccio

and my mother in law actually made caviar from loose eggs, and it wasn't half bad.

If you keep 3-5 fish a year you have plenty of ways to try. Fresh run, silver fish only. With that amount of fish
and enough people to serve dinner to you won't run over the 1/meal a month allotment. And since I have twins on the way,
I don't think 11 years of eating a few steelhead a year affected my fertility too much, but I think it's women and children
who really need to worry about it. If anyone ever wants a detailed recipe or wants to try some I've cooked my wife and I welcome
anyone to our dinner table for a feast.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 09:42:01 (permalink)
Heres another recipe that a good friend gave me years back and my kids absolutely love it!

Steelhead Alfredo:

I make my own alfredo sauce with fresh Asiago, Reggiano Parmesiano and Parmesiano cheeses, but you could certainly buy the store bought (if I go this route, I add some of he fresh cheeses)its quicker/easier from a jar. Make alfredo pasta and heat up your sauce in saucepan. Wow, I'm craving this right now as I type it! I generally take a couple of fillets, skin them and trim off any darker/bloody meat. Pat dry...season with olive oil garlic powder, parsley, Lowreys salt and black pepper....or lemon pepper is good too. Melt butter in a pan on the stove and sear both sides of the fillet then lower the heat until the meat becomes flakey. Place the fillets on top of the pasta and smother your alfredo sauce on top....Serve with a nice Reisling or Pinot Grigio...DELEEEEEEESH!!
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/09/15 09:44:42

SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 10:13:49 (permalink)
Joe, good stuff!  I tried a dry brine for smoking that you had posted on here a couple years ago, which you said came from a salmon guide in Alaska and it was the best smoked fish I have ever had.

I think for smoking using a basic dry brine like brown sugar and salt, to get as much moisture out of the fish as possible, then sitting it on a rack in front of a fan until the pellicle forms, and smoking low and slow is key.  There were people who don't like fish at all stalking me at work for more.  I found the end product to be much better than brining in liquid and using a bunch of seasonings.  It was preserved not just smoked, and easily kept in a brown paper bag in the fridge for a couple weeks.

I usually keep about 4 steelhead in the fall and 2 in the spring for eating.  Might be about the right time of year to start a steelhead recipes thread.
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 10:55:59 (permalink)
but you could certainly buy the store bought

Not a chance!  Store bought alfredo over dry fettuchini compared to home made alfredo over fresh fettuchini isn't even in the same league. That sounds really good, I might have to try it next month with the first fish of the year.  Maybe even throw in a little seafood with the steelhead like shrimp or lump crab meat with a little old bay, to make a seafood & steelhead alfredo.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 11:05:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteelSlayer77

but you could certainly buy the store bought

Not a chance!  Store bought alfredo over dry fettuchini compared to home made alfredo over fresh fettuchini isn't even in the same league. That sounds really good, I might have to try it next month with the first fish of the year.  Maybe even throw in a little seafood with the steelhead like shrimp or lump crab meat with a little old bay, to make a seafood & steelhead alfredo.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Now you're talking SS!

joebaker79
Expert Angler
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 12:11:14 (permalink)
Also try smoked fish in the pasta alfredo. Flake up the fish and toss in. Did it last spring, we were devouring it!
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9828
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 13:18:12 (permalink)
Cold smoking and ceviche are not a good idea with these fish. Unless you freeze the fillets for a few days to kill off parasites. Unless it maintains a 160 degree temp for a few minutes, you are playing Russian roulette with some pretty nasty stuff. Remember, there is a lot of people living along the shore of this lake, and a lot of raw sewage that makes its way in.
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 14:15:26 (permalink)
Cold smoking and ceviche are not a good idea with these fish.

I agree, 160 degrees needs be maintained for at least 5 minutes with Erie steelhead.  There is also a time frame of so many hours to get the fish up to that temp, but I can't think of what it is off the top of my head right now.
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 14:36:45 (permalink)
can you bleed the steel and then drag it around on the rope. i usually just rope em and drag them.

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
Hefalump
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 14:49:39 (permalink)
All of you.... u da men!

WOW! I never realized how many great chefs there are out there!

Seriously, I am humbled by all the expertise and talent and great recipes/hints/etc. You guys may get me to try one, or two!

THANKS,
Mike
joebaker79
Expert Angler
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 15:14:30 (permalink)
I do freeze all of my fish before eating and only eat fresh fish if it's cooked to proper temperatures. Once frozen it will kill anything thats in there, and the ceviche and carpaccio have only been tried once just to do it. The lemon juice in ceviche preparations will pretty much kill anything anyway, and for Gravlax...the fish is cured in enough salt and sugar to kill anything.

I'd take my chances eating a raw Erie Steelhead over anything served by any fast food joint, anyday, and you can see hoards of fishermen lined up around the drive thrus of all of these places each and every day of the steelhead season. Most of them will tell you how bad Steelhead taste, while wolfing down their 2000 calorie salmonella big mac special.
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 15:40:47 (permalink)
Any fish in Trout Run yet? Trying to decide where to go this weekend and wondering if its worth hitting any of the creeks yet.
fish whisper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 529
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 15:56:57 (permalink)
I got a few medium fish today in the 18-24 range today was your best shot with the weather
Grendel
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1675
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 16:06:04 (permalink)
I am Lovin' this thread! I bet all the catch and release snobs have their blastopores closed tight!

I have all of mine smoked and are given away as holiday presents.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
Hefalump
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: 2011 - 20012 Steelhead Fishing Season 2011/09/15 16:18:37 (permalink)
Grendel,

As a "catch and release guy" I have no problems
with your post! Have enjoyed you opinions & contributions often!
I do not consider myself as a "snob" and think my "blastpores" (whatever those are) are closed!

Mike
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: